Does anyone know of anything do do in Mykonos. The only excursion Celebrity offers is Ancient Delos, which is fine, but it is only 4 hours and we were wondering if there is a beach which we could also go to. Does the ship dock near anyplace we can walk ot and get something to eat or shop?

Thanks.

Celebrity offers a free shuttle to town from the ship. From the drop-off point, you can walk around and explore for a long time. There are plenty of shops and restaurants. We had a great time weaving in and out of the maze of streets. We also made it a point to seek out Petros the Pelican.

Delos is a different island then Myconos.

On Delos nobody lives, it is like a bug musem. Interesting if you like greek history.

Myconos is a nice island, where it is easy to walk through the center, to the windmillsm through the narrow streets with the white-painted houses.

Many restaurants with terraces for food and drinks. Nice way to watch people.

There are some minor beaches for which you better take a cab.

Apart from the very picture postcard town, Mykonos is known for its beaches-party beaches, gay beaches, family beaches, etc. We rented a car when we landed and got a map and drove to the beach. Get a guidebook like Frommers or Fodors and it will tell you which beaches are which or just google "Mykonos beaches" and you will learn all you need to about the different beaches. And they are beautiful. As for the town, ver pretty but typical and if you have already been or will be going to Santorini, Rhodes, etc, you will find the same types of shops. Mykonos is otherwise a beach and party island.

You've sparked my curiosity. Who is Petros the Pelican or What is it? We will be in Mykonos in the fall, on the Grand Princess. At this point, we know little about this port. Thanks.

Petros the Pelican was there when we spent a week on Mykonas way back in 1995. At the top of the shops - up a little hill - you can catch the buses to the different beaches. We stayed at one of the beach resorts and there are restaurants and cafes right on the beach. I would suggest either catching a bus or taking a taxi to one of the beaches. They are sandy and the water is clear.

Jennie

The Pelican sounds interesting .. and if you back up through that site there are great pages about Delos and Mykonos. Thanks. One question though, if anyone can help ... all the pictures we see in travel books etc of Mykonos have that wonderful blue roof and a vista overlooking the ocean and port. Can anyone tell me how you get to that spot on the Island? Do you need a taxi or tour or can it be attained by walking? Thanks in advance. Laurey

You take a "funicular" which is a tram car that runs at about a 50 degree angle from the bottom of the island to the top, where the majotiry of the town is located. It's great fun - alertnatively, you can ride a mule :confused: up to the summit, but this is really not my idea of fun - nyc taxicabs are adventure enough for me - either way - many of the restaurants face out to the cove, where you can get some spectacular photographs of your ship (which will certainly be tendered within view.) The town is spectacular, and you can get a lot of great jewelry if shopping's your thing. Enjoy!

I think you may have the islands mixed up. I am sure you are thinking of Santorini with the donkey and the funicular unless in the last few years a funicular has been installed at Mykonas and I was not aware of that. Mykonas is not really on a hill and a lot of the shops are at sea level including the pelican and the windmills.

Jennie

I agree, Cathy is thinking of Santorini.

I Mykonos we did the Delos tour. Don't even think about doing it without a guide. It is a fascinating tour, almost everything you see is at least 3000 years old, but without a guide it all looks alike. We enjoyed it, it was incredibly hot, no shade at all.

The tour drops you off in "downtown" Mykonos. We immediately got lost, but had a great time exploring the streets. We, I, had a dream to sit in a bar on the sea front, having a drink and watching the sunset in Mykonos. Well we did it and the sunset cooperated. You can see our photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/jbond105/2 under Brilliance of the Seas 1 & 2.

Santorini is the island for blue roofs. I don't think that I have ever seen a more beautiful island than Santorini, including Moorea, Bora Bora and Fiji,etc, etc, etc. It's breathtaking in it's splendour.

Mykonos is, for some of us older folks, the Shirley Valentine island. On our cruise this past October, we got linked up with several people, via Cruise Critics, that were Shirley Valentine fans. Next time we visit Mykonos, we will just take a bus or taxi and checkout the Shirley sites.

• 2 weeks later...

cruisingmimi,

The place is fantastic to wander around. There are tons of jewellers around to explore and look for that bargain. There are some super restaurants around, but watch out as friends of ours found they were given a lot more than they asked for. The menu's in some places are pictures that you can point to. Some of the places also just wouldn't let us have just a drink but insisted that if you sat down you had to order food. We just moved on and chose another place.

There are some shots on my album

http://community.webshots.com/user/andym888

Definitely bargain in Mykonas and any other part of Greece. It is the culture and you can be surprised how much the price can come down. We always start at half what they are asking for and then of course we start having to go up, but in the meantime they are coming down with their price.

If it is a shop that is fixed price they will tell you. We usually say when they quote the price, is that your best price.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know of anything do do in Mykonos. The only excursion Celebrity offers is Ancient Delos, which is fine, but it is only 4 hours and we were wondering if there is a beach which we could also go to. Does the ship dock near anyplace we can walk ot and get something to eat or shop?

Thanks.

Lorraine,

I am from marlboro..we are going on the Galaxy this summer, July25th. We are also going to Mykonos. Small world?

Archived