Copper River Lodge/Wrangell St. Elias

alaskandreamer

Hi,

As part of our cruisetour we will be staying at Princess's Copper River Lodge. Can anyone tell me if there are hiking trails around that lodge?

Also is there a shuttle bus to get you into Wrangell St. Elias Park or near the Visitor Center? We would love to explore the area and do some hiking but I'm not sure what is all around the area.

If there are any hot spots or certain sites that shouldn't be missed in Wrangell can you please let us know about them.

We will be limited to bus or foot so please keep that in mind when suggesting things.

Can we get to Wrangell St. Elias easily from the Copper River Lodge????

Thanks for the advice!

There aren' t any extensive trails at the lodge that I know of. I have stayed here.

It isn't going to be you getting to the visitor center and "hiking", Significant here is to get INTO the park, with flightseeing to McCarthey/Kennicott the best recommendation. IF you have time, there is ground transportation. I suggest you FIND out about this area and make some plans. It is more difficult without your own transportation, but Princess does offer tours.

Hi,

As part of our cruisetour we will be staying at Princess's Copper River Lodge. Can anyone tell me if there are hiking trails around that lodge?

Also is there a shuttle bus to get you into Wrangell St. Elias Park or near the Visitor Center? We would love to explore the area and do some hiking but I'm not sure what is all around the area.

If there are any hot spots or certain sites that shouldn't be missed in Wrangell can you please let us know about them.

We will be limited to bus or foot so please keep that in mind when suggesting things.

Can we get to Wrangell St. Elias easily from the Copper River Lodge????

Thanks for the advice!

Copper Lodge has a trail map available. There are several hikes around the lodge, ranging from .2 mile easy/moderate to 1.5 more difficult. The lodge itself is nice to walk around and enjoy views of the mtns. We hiked the Klutina River trail which is 1.5 rt rated most difficult, but compared to Colorado, we didn't think it was that difficult.

I agree that a fly/drive to Kennicot/McCarthey is a good suggestion for a full day & time spent in the park. We booked that tour, but the fly part got cancelled due to rain, which made for a long drive back.

Copper Lodge is not within walking distance of anything (besides trails) as far as I can recall, hence the need for organized tours.

Archived