Inside all of the Pyramids?

lcumpire

We are on the Celebity Equinox in October we were wondering if there is a charge to go into any and/or all of the pyramids. I have bad knees and back and find it difficult to bend over for an extended period of time. Are there pyramids that you can enter without hurting oneself?

Thanx

First, not all the pyramids are open on any given day. They tend to rotate access.

Of the pyramids I've seen (and I haven't seen them all...yet) the small pyramid at Sakkara -- not the step pyramid -- was fairly easy to enter and exit, although some bending was still required. Once inside, you could stand upright.

Really, there is very little to be seen inside any of the pyramids......but I understand that for some it's an experience they want to have.

First, not all the pyramids are open on any given day. They tend to rotate access.

Of the pyramids I've seen (and I haven't seen them all...yet) the small pyramid at Sakkara -- not the step pyramid -- was fairly easy to enter and exit, although some bending was still required. Once inside, you could stand upright.

Really, there is very little to be seen inside any of the pyramids......but I understand that for some it's an experience they want to have.

Cynthia, dh has the burning desire to go inside one....... just to say he did it - not me tho :eek: I tend to be slightly claustrophobic :(

I walked down the Red Pyramid in Saquarra. For exactly three days there after I did what is called the "mummy's shuffle". It sort of looks like I walked like Walter Brennan for the three days. I used Muscles I hadn't seen in a LOOOONG time. But it was worth it. It was hot and humid inside but not difficult. The only thing I paid was a small tip to the "doorman".

I walked down the Red Pyramid in Saquarra. For exactly three days there after I did what is called the "mummy's shuffle". It sort of looks like I walked like Walter Brennan for the three days. I used Muscles I hadn't seen in a LOOOONG time. But it was worth it. It was hot and humid inside but not difficult. The only thing I paid was a small tip to the "doorman".

We loved the red pyramid...just our group of four with a flashlight deep inside...we felt like explorers. We do remember the mummy shuffle, however ;)

We are on the Celebity Equinox in October we were wondering if there is a charge to go into any and/or all of the pyramids. I have bad knees and back and find it difficult to bend over for an extended period of time. Are there pyramids that you can enter without hurting oneself?

Thanx

Cynthia, dh has the burning desire to go inside one....... just to say he did it - not me tho :eek: I tend to be slightly claustrophobic :(

Claustrophobia, bad knees, and bad backs would all make pyramid entry a relatively unpleasant experience. We are all reasonably fit but were still sore for a few days afterwards.

What is exactly inside the red pyramid?

Is it one of the great pyramids of Giza?

I'm dying to go inside one of the great pyramids, but the guy from the agent i booked says it is not a good idea .

The Red pyramid (and the Bent pyramid) are located in Dashur, about an hour out of Giza. They are smaller and set far out in the desert, but we pretty much had the place to ourselves when we visited (vastly different from our giza experience).

There are no relics left to view in the pyramid, but you can access the burial chamber by climbing partway up the pyramid wall, tipping the guard a few $$, and then climing back down a narrow dark passageway to the large open chamber deep inside. There is a musty/funky smell to the place, but we found it to be a fascinating experience. The climb back out is a real workout for your thigh muscles, however.

Dashur had an overall more "authentic" and less commercial feel...this was the Egypt we had imagined (even though the pyramids themselves are much smaller).

We did not go inside the great pyramids, so I cannot compare that experience.

Claustrophobia, bad knees, and bad backs would all make pyramid entry a relatively unpleasant experience. We are all reasonably fit but were still sore for a few days afterwards.

Oh my! If this made you and your family sore, its going to kill us! Maybe its time for super sets of squats? Ya think they would help?

You might like to bear in mind that the early pyramids, including those at Giza and Dahshur, were all internally undecorated. That of Unas, the last king of Dynasty 5, at Saqqara was the first to be decorated, so from then on they are a bit more interesting inside.

Oh my! If this made you and your family sore, its going to kill us! Maybe its time for super sets of squats? Ya think they would help?
sounds like a plan :D even the boys were sore the next day (mercifully a sea day!). Mrs WW and I worked out our kinks by doing the "on deck for the cure" 5K. Egypt was just an amazing experience, but we really enjoyed having some down time on the ship to recover!

You might like to bear in mind that the early pyramids, including those at Giza and Dahshur, were all internally undecorated. That of Unas, the last king of Dynasty 5, at Saqqara was the first to be decorated, so from then on they are a bit more interesting inside.

Interesting...so much to see when we return next time!

Does it really worth all the effort to go inside the great pyramid?

Can any body tell me what is really inside?

Its only worth it if its something you want to do! If you read this thread you will note that some contain more decorations than others, and that going through the dark passages will be an "Indiana Jones" type of experience. Is this for you?

I don't imagine it's changed since we visited a good few number of years back, so here goes. You actually enter the Great Pyramid (Khufu's) through a much later hole bashed into the side, not the original entrance. This leads to the long Ascending Corridor, about 3.5' wide and under 4' high, and up to the Grand Gallery, still sloping up but now up to 28' high and three times as wide.

At the top, you have to duck under two low sections to access the Burial Chamber, which is dark, undecorated granite, measuring 34'x17'x19' high. It contains only a lidless granite sarcophagus, which is actually larger than the entrance passages, so must have been put in place during the building process.

It doesn't fall in to the must-see category of Egyptian remains for me, but if you're interested enough in Egyptology, as I am, I'm glad I got the chance to go inside.

I don't imagine it's changed since we visited a good few number of years back, so here goes. You actually enter the Great Pyramid (Khufu's) through a much later hole bashed into the side, not the original entrance. This leads to the long Ascending Corridor, about 3.5' wide and under 4' high, and up to the Grand Gallery, still sloping up but now up to 28' high and three times as wide.

At the top, you have to duck under two low sections to access the Burial Chamber, which is dark, undecorated granite, measuring 34'x17'x19' high. It contains only a lidless granite sarcophagus, which is actually larger than the entrance passages, so must have been put in place during the building process.

It doesn't fall in to the must-see category of Egyptian remains for me, but if you're interested enough in Egyptology, as I am, I'm glad I got the chance to go inside.

Thank you so much for this info. I am going to print it out for my dh. He would be thrilled beyond words to be able to go into Khufu's pyramid !

Its only worth it if its something you want to do! If you read this thread you will note that some contain more decorations than others, and that going through the dark passages will be an "Indiana Jones" type of experience. Is this for you?

Not really a lot of extra effort...just added about 15 minutes to our visit to the Red pyramid (a site we had planned to visit anyway)...and yes, we did enjoy having an "Indiana Jones experience" (great phrase:D)...especially our two sons.

We did not feel the need to go inside the great pyramid as well; one was enough, but would not have felt right visiting Egypt without this experience.

During my visit in April, we went in the 2nd Pyramid(Khafre) at Giza. It is tight and the ceiling is low in places, so you have to do the "Mummy shuffle." There is not that much to see and the painting are not on par with the tombs in Luxor. But it is cool to say you were in a Pyramid. I have back issues but it didn't cause me any issues. Bring a flashlight and enjoy the once in a lifetime experience.

Not really a lot of extra effort...just added about 15 minutes to our visit to the Red pyramid (a site we had planned to visit anyway)...and yes, we did enjoy having an "Indiana Jones experience" (great phrase:D)...especially our two sons.

We did not feel the need to go inside the great pyramid as well; one was enough, but would not have felt right visiting Egypt without this experience.

OK I am doing squats every other day to "walk like an Egyptian" in an effort to master the Mummy shuffle with style! :D

OK I am doing squats every other day to "walk like an Egyptian" in an effort to master the Mummy shuffle with style! :D

You should be in great shape for the shuffle! We walked and climbed and hiked more on our med/holy land cruise than on any other itinerary

I was in the Great Pyramid in end of May, 06. A couple words of advice-

1)The smaller gallery is "small" and I would recommend not bringing anything with you inside (backpack, purse, etc)

2)Being small, its also can be quick claustrophobic. Depending on who is there, you might want to either run to the front of the line or let others go ahead. When I was there, an older (in his 80s) British man was ahead of me going down and had to stop several times.

• 2 weeks later...

now if you ever go back to egypt, go to the valley of the kings. that is where king Tuts tomb was found. there have been i believe 64 tombs discovered so far. there is no pyramids per say, as they used the natural mountain formation for the tombs, as it would stand against the winds and time. these tombs you can go in and are covered in hyroglifics. they are amazing:eek:

King Tuts tomb was open when we went there. In fact his remains have been returned to the tomb. He looks like a teenager...very sad. The Tombs in the Valley of the Kings rarely require stooping. But you can't see these in a one day trip from Alexander or Port Said unless your cruise line does a charter flight...and it ain't cheap....

IMG_3581.jpg.372c6f9cd5568a62a7f7306f9cb2e423.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg.5d543000090622d9f7571a92a3f9ece4.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg.882d0fdd0565eb05bac39e837c837751.jpg

The only one on day tours is the small one at Saqqara .

To visit the Pyramid of Cheope, it is necessary to book very well in advance and it is very uncomfortable if you have problems with knees and back or claustrophobia.

Archived