Smooth sailing to Alaska?

AnotherVirginCruiser

Am I correct in assuming that sailing the Inside Passage through Alaska has smooth seas? Has anyone needed to take bodine, dremamine, etc... for sea sickness?:confused: Thanks.

Hi!

That being said, there are several factors that will have an effect:

1) Could you have some high winds and higher than expected waves? Not during the trips I have taken, but is it possible? Of course.

2) Are you prone to motion sickness? If you have a very low tolerance, I would consider a patch or other remedy just in case.

3) Where is your cabin located? The rule of thumb is that those staterooms located lower and more mid-ships tend to feel any movement less.

Have a great cruise - the seas will probably be like glass!

Sorry, but you can, and we did, have rough seas...ours was after we left Juneau before we were sheltered again on the Inside Passage. (This was a Sept cruise). There were many, many sick people. Down on the lower decks, we were fine, but could watch the waves crash up over our window!

We did a round trip out of Vancouver and the only time I felt anything was the first night. I would have definitely gotten sick had I not taken the meds. I took Bonine the first three days just in case. After that, it was so smooth I stopped taking it. Guess it's a hit and miss.

Veronica

We've taken 3 Alaska cruises. I agree with ffwife. On one of our cruises as we left Juneau we had very rough seas - 12-15 feet. My husband and I do not get seasick. We have sailed across the gulfstream in 30 footers and never been ill. However, on that particular cruise he was extremely uncomfortable. I would definitely plan ahead and take something.

I am prone to motion sickness, especially in cars. I took Bonine ahead of time and was fine most of the time. I was awaken night 1 (we left out of Seattle) to the sound of the minibar bottles rolling back and forth-clanking. After I woke up I felt a little uneasy, took another Bonine and went back to bed. Had I not woken, I may not have noticed.

Do any of you ever get anxious when the waves are high, ( or admit that you do)? I'm a white-knuckle flyer, and always think that I would feel better if I could sit by the pilot and watch what he is doing. It's that old being-out-of-control thing. So far, we have had fairly good seas, but I wonder how I would feel if it got really rough.

txchinachic,

when is the last time you heard of a cruise ship sinking? that is what I would say to myself - even in the rough seas we encountered that one time in Alaska I was not afraid - more worried that hubby getting seasick would ruin the rest of the evening - LOL! ds and I were fine and even went and played bingo! I like being in control too, planning, replanning but somethings I know are out of my element - like flying a plane, steering a massive ship. When the waves get high, and its not often, I think WOW, this is cool.

We sailed out of Seattle on HAL last year and encountered some very rough seas before we hit the inside passage. How rough was it? It was so rough that the LIDO pool emptied into the LIDO. Cruise Director gave many "talks" about the safety of the ship and how this particular ship could tilt almost all the way on it's side and it would snap right back. ( Sorry for the lack of technical speak).

I love rough seas but if you do not appreciate the same, I would definitely take precaution and enjoy the ride.

Now put me on a plane in any kind of turbulance and I am one anxious customer and I know planes do not fall out of the sky. So I can appreciate how it is that each of us has our own issues.

Yes Bonine is over the counter, how for the patch you need a dr. prescriptions. For our first cruise I needed the patch and wore it faithfully. However, have gotten use to the motion of the ships and am really fine, just take things with me just in case. Our cruise in Alaska was as smooth as can be. However, our cruise to Bermuda was the absolute worst.....if that had been my first cruise, there would have been no way in h..... that you would have ever ever gotten me on another ship...Everyone was getting sick, it got so bad that they tied the doors closed so that people could not get outside anywhere on the ship because of the waves and motion, they were afraid people might go overboard.

Just in case you interested, the generic word for Bonine is Meclizine. We bought a bottle of 100 tabs at Costco for about $5.00. You do have to get it from behind the counter at the pharmacy even though it was OTC.

Thanks - we have a Costco close and a big bottle is great-we are going with a group and more than a couple of us are motion sensitive!!:p

I heard ginger pills/tea work wonders too? Any of you hear that?:)

Travelled Infinity, Inside Passage, this past June. Had only one night which was kinda rough leaving Juneau. I had seabands, but did not use them. Just drank extra vino and went to sleep; however, there were not many people at breakfast or dinner the next day. Inside Passage is awesome. Calm, calm, calm. I would bring seabands, dramamine or bonine just in case. Or you could drink a bottle of vino. You will love Alaska. Our favorite cruise....

On the Infinity in Jan. I had on the patch, but started to feel queasy anyway. My husband went to the liquor shop on board and bought me a pair of the acupressure bands. Within 5 minutes, I felt fine. Didn't really like the way the patch made me feel. Did better with Bonnine. Just don't stop taking it while in port.

Carol

Archived