My Thoughts on the Progreso Stop

gtsuttons

We booked a private Uxmal excursion through an American who had lived there for 20 years. He took 4 of us in his VW; not bad though I need a little more leg room. Robert Bower is his name, and here is his email if you want to use him: rabbit777mx@yahoo.com . He has a tour guide permit card of some sort through the government so he is legit.

We met him at the market, got in his car, and headed south. I was impressed by the road quality. We never got into Merida, but it was obvious it is a large modern city. We first went to a 400 year old church in Uman and the market. Between Progreso and Uman, one really finds out what life is like in small-town Yucatan.

On the way to Uxmal, we stopped by a hacienda that once covered 33k acres and grew plants that made rope. These haciendas were given to the conquistadors in the 1500's.

Uxmal was beautiful. The Mayans built all of their cities without the wheel, beast of burdens, or metal tools. Amazing architecture given these limitations. I wish we had more than a few hours to explore... and my camera battery had lasted longer. :-)

I felt like a giant there as I am 6'4", and the average Yucatecan is about 4'11".

My pix are here if anyone is interested in them.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=95645&id=1439820658

I would go back as there is more to see.

Some on here have made negative comments about the poverty. While some of it wasn't up to our standard of living, I've seen inner city areas that looked worse and made me feel less safe.

Great photos! The name of that hacienda is Yaxcopoil; it is one of the more ornate haciendas in the Yucatan and on their little tour you can see everything from the buildings to books and china from that time. Very interesting.

I got a pic of the Moorish-influenced gate up front because it was some neat architecture but hadn't uploaded it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived