Vegan meals on Celebrity Eclipse?

PUGLOVER1792

I saw plenty of veg. options in most venues, and I know you can ask for veg curry off menu.

BUT, they were very heavy with cheese and such. I would call...I would think Blu is your best option of getting a good meal, it's reserved for AQ class.

Hi there,

Most all cruise lines do have veggie dishes, but most do have eggs, cheese or cream in them. :( A true Vegan menu on most cruise ships no they don't, cause I asked once on the Carnival line, but you can ask to see if your ship can get something made the vegan way. I know there are a lot of Vegans out there, so they must accomodate them some how. :rolleyes:

Good luck, Anna

Thanks so much to those of you who responded. I greatly appreciate it. :) I'm booked in Aqua Class, so I'm hopeful Blu can accomodate my dietary needs. I usually can do fine with buffets, but was just curious if the main dining room & Blu had some vegan options. Guess I'll find out next weekend! Thanks again! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was on the Dec 18-26 sailing of Celebrity Solstice, and not only was there a separate vegan menu, but found the crew well informed about vegan dietary requirements, and eager to keep me well fed :)

At the time of my booking, I had my travel agent inform Celebrity that I was a vegan (you can do this on your own if not using a travel agent), and on the day of embarkation, I introduced myself to the maitre d'. He took out a vegetarian menu, and went over it with me, discussing which dishes I could eat as is, and which the chef could modify for me (and how he would do so). The dishes I chose would be my dinner that night, and he told me that each evening I would be shown the vegetarian menu for the next night, and place my order in advance. (Note: I don't eat sweets, so asked to be served melon and berries each night for dessert, however I was told that desserts would be prepared without honey.)

I switched tables, but it wasn't an issue, because the vegetarian menu was linked to my room number, not my seating assignment (during the cruise I met someone who was on a low sodium diet, and who had open seating, and he also had no issues).

To my surprise, on the third night, the fancy vegetarian menu was replaced with a printed sheet that was headed 'vegan menu'. It was actually more a vegetarian menu, but when I pointed that out to the maitre d', he told me that the chef would prepare any dish on it to match vegan requirements.

There were always 2 or 3 choices for each course, and all were delicious (except for one night, when the dish was so spicy (and I love spicy foods) that it burned my lips at the first bite, and I gave up after a few more bites! :eek:)

The lunch buffet also was a delight- the first day, I was spotted looking around with an empty plate, and was approached by a maitre d'. When I told him I was a vegan, he asked what type of food interested me, and I pointed out that the Indian section looked inviting (there was an 'Indian curry' station each day, with several selections). He placed a call to the chef in charge of that station, who happily pointed out the dishes that were prepared vegan (they were delicious!).

The next day at the buffet (and each day following), a maitre d' found me,

and patiently and pleasantly made sure I found plenty to eat. What a delight!

BTW- in addition to the hot foods, each day at the buffet there were both a salad station which contained a rotation selection of about 20 different cut vegetables, beans, and grains, and also a fruit station with a selection of cut melon as well as a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad, and also several whole fruits. There was also another area with dried fruit and nuts.

It was so nice to not only have no issue with food, but to have such delicious meals that I'm planning (and looking forward to) cruising Celebrity again and again.

Kudos, Celebrity!

• 3 months later...

We've sailed twice with Celebrity this year (in Aqua Class so we dined in Blu) and both times Vegan meals have been accomodated. On the Eclipse they provided the menu a day in advance and if there was nothing that could be modified they came up with something else. On the Solstice they provided a unique vegan meal each night that was designed by the chef.

Email the special needs department to let them know when you are cruising and then speak with the maitre d as soon as you get on board. We dined in Blu but the main dining room will also accomodate your needs if they know in advance.

The vegan desserts included sorbets, fruits, a vegan apple pie one night and also a vegan chocolate cake one night.

I was very impressed with how accomodating they were.

• 1 month later...

Like Canadianont, on our Eclipse cruise we were told what the vegan options would be the night before. Our waiter did this for us just in case we wanted to skip the MDR and eat elsewhere. We're both vegetarians, not vegans, but probably ate from the vegan menu 50% of the time. Most items on the vegan menu were already on the main menu, however. It seems like they only added 2-3 different items to the entire vegan menu. This wasn't a bad thing; it just shows that there were already a few vegan options on the main menu.

Over the past several months we have transitioned from a vegetarian to a vegan to our doctor's recommendation of a plant based whole food diet. We have a couple of Princess cruises coming up this Fall and we think we have a pretty good idea on ways to stay close to our food objectives, but I am wondering if there are others with similar diets who have had success on their cruises and if anybody has some helpful hints, such as Happy Trailor's post above.

Over the past several months we have transitioned from a vegetarian to a vegan to our doctor's recommendation of a plant based whole food diet. We have a couple of Princess cruises coming up this Fall and we think we have a pretty good idea on ways to stay close to our food objectives, but I am wondering if there are others with similar diets who have had success on their cruises and if anybody has some helpful hints, such as Happy Trailor's post above.

The great thing for you is that you're just transitioning from vegetarian to vegan as opposed to carnivore to vegetarian. I bet your Princess cruises will prove to be fairly uneventful in terms of struggling to find the right food choices.

As a vegetarian (I eat cheese -- not a vegan until I give that up along with a couple of my leather shoes), I already do some "extras" that you might already do. Here are some things I do while cruising on any line. Maybe some are new for you:

1. Bring trail mix and granola bars for snacking. I typically bring this so I don't need to worry about snacking on the "wrong thing". For you, this might mean avoiding desserts to stay away from the butter and lard.

2. Grab an assortment of fresh fruits from the buffet. I do this every day and keep them in the cabin so I've got plenty of healthy options right at my fingertips.

3. On night #1, tell your wait staff in the MDR that you are vegans. Every line I've been on (Princess included) has been more than happy to provide something that matches with my nutritional choices. When I tell them I'm a vegetarian, guess what? Some people automatically bring me a vegan menu or come back and tell me some options that are actually vegan, not vegetarian. I typically say, "Ok, sounds good -- but toss a bunch of cheese on it!" :)

Those are just some things we've done, and it's not been a struggle for us. Congratulations on taking the step to veganism. The day I choose to give up my cheese and toss out a couple of leather shoes, I will join you. :)

P.S. One thing I just remembered -- Recently, I started buying the dried fruit snacks found in the raw section at Whole Foods. They are perfect for cruising! I'll be bringing these with us next time.

The great thing for you is that you're just transitioning from vegetarian to vegan as opposed to carnivore to vegetarian. I bet your Princess cruises will prove to be fairly uneventful in terms of struggling to find the right food choices.

As a vegetarian (I eat cheese -- not a vegan until I give that up along with a couple of my leather shoes), I already do some "extras" that you might already do. Here are some things I do while cruising on any line. Maybe some are new for you:

1. Bring trail mix and granola bars for snacking. I typically bring this so I don't need to worry about snacking on the "wrong thing". For you, this might mean avoiding desserts to stay away from the butter and lard.

2. Grab an assortment of fresh fruits from the buffet. I do this every day and keep them in the cabin so I've got plenty of healthy options right at my fingertips.

3. On night #1, tell your wait staff in the MDR that you are vegans. Every line I've been on (Princess included) has been more than happy to provide something that matches with my nutritional choices. When I tell them I'm a vegetarian, guess what? Some people automatically bring me a vegan menu or come back and tell me some options that are actually vegan, not vegetarian. I typically say, "Ok, sounds good -- but toss a bunch of cheese on it!" :)

Those are just some things we've done, and it's not been a struggle for us. Congratulations on taking the step to veganism. The day I choose to give up my cheese and toss out a couple of leather shoes, I will join you. :)

P.S. One thing I just remembered -- Recently, I started buying the dried fruit snacks found in the raw section at Whole Foods. They are perfect for cruising! I'll be bringing these with us next time.

Thanks! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived