Underwater Camera, or Camera Case?

sockmonkeygirl

Hi all!

I'm happily leaving in 3 weeks, and definately want to be able to take some underwater photos. I'm not a pro photographer or snorkler, so I'm not looking to invest hundreds if I don't have to.

I'm wondering, if anyone has experience with underwater camera case (dry bag style) or with an underwater camera? Which is preferable?

If you are active and like the water, spring for a point & shoot underwater camera. They are great at the beach, hiking, skiing or snorkeling. It's the camera you will use the most if you get a good one.

Look to spend about $250. Panasonic Lumix TS10 and the olympus Tought 8000 are well reccomended. I would stick with something rated to 10 feet min.

I dislike the bags, not because they might leak but they are just hard to use.

if your need is a one time thing or very occasional just use a disposable film 'underwater' camera. They are good for snorkeling or things like DRF. You can get the film developed and either put on the web for you to pull, or put on a CD or just get prints and scan what you like (this is what I do). You can get 36 exposures at Target for under $20.

note: a 'real' underwater camera usable at SCUBA depths will run in the neighborhood of $400 or more . . .

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-535/168011/Sealife-DC1200-12.0-Megapixel-Underwater-Camera-and-Housing.html?gclid=CNXb6aHD4KcCFU1f2godchV-8A

I will second the Olympus Tough series. I bought an 8010 (which goes down to 33'), and got excellent pictures. It is specifically designed for underwater, with special settings to help with the color distortion you get underwater. Of course, it works quite well above water too.

Underwater

4911627814_2df710cbd4_b.jpg

6299P7150105 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Above water

4906438692_d8e97f16d3_b.jpg

5152P1050965 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Beautiful pictures, thank you so much for all the replies. I can buy an Olympus tough 300 for just over $100 (refurb) and I might do it. The 8010 is a better camera, but with a higher price tag. The only thing I'm worried about is battery life and shutter lag.

No offense, but I would stay away from the disposable. I've used those in the past and was never happy with the pictures (no matter how much editing I did). The money you spend on the camera, developing, CD, etc. you could put towards a digital one.

I also have the Olympus Tough 8000 and also a Pentax Optio W90 which is awesome. I would be careful with a refurbished model. I would be worried that the water tight seal could be compromised - not something you want to discover on vacation. Is it a refurbished model directly from Olympus?

(Amazon has new Olympus models for only about $50 bucks more if you could swing that. :) )

I think an entry level waterproof will suit me better than a disposable, since I have a backyard pool, kids, and we like to kayak or be near the river on occasion. We'll use it again, just not often. If I didn't already have a primary point and shoot camera, I'd probably buy the Sony Cybershot waterproof, with the Pentax Optio, Olympus Tough 8010 as good other options. Still doesn't help me stick to my $100 budget though. :(

As far as refurbished goes, I have the same hesitation; that it won't be waterproof. I get a 90 day warranty. Still debating, but at least I'm more informed. :)

Beautiful pictures, thank you so much for all the replies. I can buy an Olympus tough 300 for just over $100 (refurb) and I might do it. The 8010 is a better camera, but with a higher price tag. The only thing I'm worried about is battery life and shutter lag.

Shutter lag is there, unfortunately, but not too bad. As for battery life, that will be more a function of how old a battery, and if you are using the flash or not. I had mine in the water for 45-60 mins (no flash), with it on almost the entire time, and did not run out of charge. I do carry a spare battery as well. I just picked another one at Amazon for $7.00

So, here's what I decided on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290547173356&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5458wt_1139

It's brand new, with a 1 year warranty (which may be nearly useless, between the nature of warranties, and my being ultra lazy and unorganized)

I bought from Ebay, because that's where the best deal was, but I am familiar with BeachCamera from Amazon.com and they are an authorized dealer, so that's good I guess.

My last question is about replacement batteries. I see a couple out there that claim to be compatible. They are all 3.7v but range in mAh from 1000-1400. The more the better? Or should I try to find out what the cameras original battery is, and buy the same?

Thanks so much for your helpfulness! :)

So, here's what I decided on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290547173356&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5458wt_1139

It's brand new, with a 1 year warranty (which may be nearly useless, between the nature of warranties, and my being ultra lazy and unorganized)

I bought from Ebay, because that's where the best deal was, but I am familiar with BeachCamera from Amazon.com and they are an authorized dealer, so that's good I guess.

My last question is about replacement batteries. I see a couple out there that claim to be compatible. They are all 3.7v but range in mAh from 1000-1400. The more the better? Or should I try to find out what the cameras original battery is, and buy the same?

Thanks so much for your helpfulness! :)

Like my 8010, the 6020 uses an LI-50B battery, which you can pick up at Best Buy for around $35, or on Amazon for $7.00 plus shipping. You may also want to pick up a charger. The camera does not come with a charger, you have to plug the whole camera in to charge the battery, very inconvenient. Amazon has a good charger set that plugs into the wall, and also comes with a car power cord. Again, at Best Buy you are looking at around $35, on Amazon $13.50 plus shipping.

Charger - http://www.amazon.com/Maximal-FC600-Travel-Charger-Olympus/dp/B001FA0BNA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301002258&sr=8-5

Battery - http://www.amazon.com/DB-OLY-LI-50B-Replacement-Camcorder/dp/B001FA0AMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301002327&sr=8-2

Archived