Volendam Hints...Yikes!!!!

WISCruiser

Read this on todays "Cruise Ship Review on opening Page... Yikes,:eek:--CC is *Giving Away* great Secrets about that super ship. Oh well, since the cat is being let out of the bag, does anyone else have more Secrets they'd like to share about our beloved *Volendam*.

Hint 1: If you want a longer sofa rather than a small settee, book a stateroom designated as a "triple." You give up the largely unnecessary cabinet at the end of the settee in double rooms -- but the trade off is worth it.

Hint 2: Those who are going for an inside cabin should try to book either 2555 or 2554, on Main Deck. Guests who are wheelchair-bound get first dibs, but if either one is open, grab it. They are huge and they feel more like a hotel room than a cruise ship cabin.

Hint 3: Some of the Lower Promenade cabins that are listed as "fully obstructed" really aren't; they are "partially" blocked by the outside bulkheads around the promenade, and from a few, you still have a limited ocean view. They are priced comparably to an inside and can be a fantastic bargain, especially the ones at the aft of the ship.

My girlfriend was on the Volendam in cabin 7086 on the Navigation Deck in a category I that was listed as an inside cabin, but it actually has a large window and right outside her door is the door at the end of the corridor that leads to a small deck with chairs.

My girlfriend was on the Volendam in cabin 7086 on the Navigation Deck in a category I that was listed as an inside cabin, but it actually has a large window and right outside her door is the door at the end of the corridor that leads to a small deck with chairs.

We were in the same stateroom on Amsterdam - HAL charges Cat D rates for it now...

• 1 year later...

I just got my guarantee assignment to 2254 on the Volendam leaving this Monday. I looked at the deck plans and saw that 2554 is a handicap cabin sorta near the elevators so I was a bit concerned. I did a search and this info came up about this being a "large" cabin.

so I am pretty excited since I booked the lowest inside guarantee. But I do have a few questions:

what is the seating? Is there a sofa/loveseat?

I assume there will only be a shower, but is there a seat in it? I had a handicapped room once where the pull down seat took up alot of room even when in the up position. It was Ok just something I'm wondering about.

will this location be noisy? It seems to be near the elevator and maybe some kind of closets?

Extra room would be nice for room service. Also DH typically does not like pillow top mattresses so as long as the bed is nice other than that we will be very pleased.

We are easy to please and this room sounds good to me. But I would like to know what to expect.

Thanks everyone! I'm soooo ready to cruise.:)

No, I believe you're right. The new ones are too high to be easily mounted by someone with mobility problems.

Actually they do have the new mattreses...and you are right they were a little high when I had to lift my Mom onto it.

I have heard of people requesting a regular mattress be brought in.

Thanks, Sean for the info.

Hope your Mom is doing well.

Do you remember if the shower has a seat??? did it seem to take up much of the shower?

We must have a fairly healthy group on the cruise for us to get this cabin instead of someone who needs it. I would give it up for anyone who needs it for sure. DH and I just need to be on the ship.

Thanks, Sean for the info.

Hope your Mom is doing well.

Do you remember if the shower has a seat??? did it seem to take up much of the shower?

We must have a fairly healthy group on the cruise for us to get this cabin instead of someone who needs it. I would give it up for anyone who needs it for sure. DH and I just need to be on the ship.

Hi,

Mom is doing well.

In our cabin, the fold down seat was missing so they provided a free standing shower chair.

I could e-mail Access and Compliance and see if they have photos of this cabin. Would you like me to?

Yes, please get the details and then all of CC will know for posterity.:p

You may even want this cabin in the future if you do the Caribbean. I think cabin choices vary by itenerary.

I think the free standing seats make more sense - my mom uses one and its just because she gets tired easily. The folding seat is a pain in that it can be vey hard to fold up or down.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, please get the details and then all of CC will know for posterity.:p

You may even want this cabin in the future if you do the Caribbean. I think cabin choices vary by itenerary.

I think the free standing seats make more sense - my mom uses one and its just because she gets tired easily. The folding seat is a pain in that it can be vey hard to fold up or down.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have been gradually collecting HC cabin photos and putting them on a CD. So if anyone needs to see them have them ask me.:)

E-mailing A&C now.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great time. and cabin 2554 was a big part of it.

The extra space in the cabin was luxurious. we had room service each day for breakfast and twice for lunch because of the excellent area for dining. In a regular inside room, we were always stuck using the bed to hold the tray and using the table for eating. Getting to really enjoy the room service made this cruise special for us.

The bathroom was large and the shower was really good. The handicapped seat is a bit in the way if you are not using it but it is small enough and folds tightly to the wall. Not a prob at all.

No noise problems at all. even with embarc and disbarc being performed only about 30 feet away the noise was not bad. that's right in FLL the embarc is on 2 forward.

So as the OP noted, this room is a winner! And I hope that the cruisers it was designed for to get to enjoy it as much as we did.

I am only about 50% complete on my cruise review. But the review will be very Positive. Back to work on the review. :o

We had a great time. and cabin 2554 was a big part of it.

The extra space in the cabin was luxurious. we had room service each day for breakfast and twice for lunch because of the excellent area for dining. In a regular inside room, we were always stuck using the bed to hold the tray and using the table for eating. Getting to really enjoy the room service made this cruise special for us.

The bathroom was large and the shower was really good. The handicapped seat is a bit in the way if you are not using it but it is small enough and folds tightly to the wall. Not a prob at all.

No noise problems at all. even with embarc and disbarc being performed only about 30 feet away the noise was not bad. that's right in FLL the embarc is on 2 forward.

So as the OP noted, this room is a winner! And I hope that the cruisers it was designed for to get to enjoy it as much as we did.

I am only about 50% complete on my cruise review. But the review will be very Positive. Back to work on the review. :o

Glad you enjoyed it. I looked at the cabin pictures A&C sent and it looks huge!

Read this on todays "Cruise Ship Review on opening Page... Yikes,:eek:--CC is *Giving Away* great Secrets about that super ship. Oh well, since the cat is being let out of the bag, does anyone else have more Secrets they'd like to share about our beloved *Volendam*.

Hint 1: If you want a longer sofa rather than a small settee, book a stateroom designated as a "triple." You give up the largely unnecessary cabinet at the end of the settee in double rooms -- but the trade off is worth it.

Hint 2: Those who are going for an inside cabin should try to book either 2555 or 2554, on Main Deck. Guests who are wheelchair-bound get first dibs, but if either one is open, grab it. They are huge and they feel more like a hotel room than a cruise ship cabin.

Hint 3: Some of the Lower Promenade cabins that are listed as "fully obstructed" really aren't; they are "partially" blocked by the outside bulkheads around the promenade, and from a few, you still have a limited ocean view. They are priced comparably to an inside and can be a fantastic bargain, especially the ones at the aft of the ship.

Keep in mind that HAL's Access and COmpliance dept will contact you or the booking TA and request confirmation of your needs for the wheelchair accessible room.

Sure there may be a bit more space, but it's specifically designed that way for PEOPLE THAT NEED IT...

More of a thing you should see if you can be upgraded to on sailing day I would think...

Archived