Alaska Reading

5waldos

Just before leaving for Alaska last week I found this new book that I highly recommend-

The Floor of Heaven: A True Tale of the Last Frontier and the Yukon Gold Rush

By: Howard Blum

Does a wonderful and very readable job of telling the tales of some of the more colorful of the early folks in Alaska- a prospector, a con-man, and a Pinkerton agent. Really made the ports, especially Skagway, more alive.

I am sure that there are other books out there that would be especially great reading for an Alaska cruise. What are yours?

I recently read Where the Sea Breaks Its Back. It’s a true account of Vitus Bering’s voyage from Russia discovering Alaska. Georg Stellar was the naturalist on-board and the book was written based on his journals.

One of the best Alaska blogs I’ve read is this one. It covers the communities of:

Ketchikan, Skagway, Carcross, Juneau, Fairbanks, Barrow, Denali, Homer, Seward, Anchorage

The author’s writing style is light and accurate with an Aussie twist. He compares the intelligence of moose to kangaroos in the Denali blog.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/djk_au/2/1275742277/tpod.html

I really liked "Kachemak Bay Years", a memoir from a woman who homesteads in Alaska starting in the 40s. Her style is a tiny bit dry, like she's trying not to share anything truly personal with the reader....such as feelings. But she still conveys quite a bit, even if some of it is unintentional.

This book is based on the journals of Richard Proenneke. He left civilization behind in the late 1960s to build a cabin the the Twin Lakes area of Alaska using only hand tools. The book, complete with photographs taken by Dick Proenneke, describe in detail the day to day life of living in the Alaskan wilderness. It is a wonderful book.

Of course Alaska by James Michener is a "must read" for an entertaining and comprehensive history of Alaska. I also loved Winterdance: the Fine Madness of Running the Iditerod which describes his and his dog team's adventures with the iconic race. John Muir's Travels in Alaska is also quite interesting.

When we booked our cruise to Alaska it inspired me to re-read a book I read many years ago, Pierre Berton's - Klondike: The Last Great Goldrush.

Great great book by a great storyteller/historian. Nothing boring about Pierre's histories!

a wonderfully written book..."The Sea Runners" by Ivan Doig is based on a newspaper article he came across. A fictional account of 3 men who escaped Russian bondage in Sitka and took an Indian canoe to Oregon. Thoroughly captivating. Of course, John Muir's accounts of his travels in Alaska, especially his story of the dog that accompanied him. Also, there's one called "Schoolteacher in Alaska" or something similar. Account of early days. Very good.

What a great thread!! Thanks for starting this, I love to read and am always looking for others suggestions....so many books so little time! :-)

The Golden Spruce by John Vaillant, a great book about Logging, myths in the area, native stories & so much more. I couldn't put it down. It's so descriptive you feel you're actually there.

Highliners: The Classic Novel about the Commercial Fishermen in Alaska by William McCloskey. A book all about working on a commercial fishing boat in the 50's to 70's. A great book, especially if you're a Deadliest Catch Fan!

Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. A great 'in the life of an Alaskan' book. I loved it!

I ditto 2serendip for Mitchener's 'Alaska' - although long & in depth, it's a great story.

I have added a couple books to my wishlist from this thread - can't wait to hear more!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread. I found nothing in my local book store now I know what to order. My great aunt was in the Anchorage area from 1920-54 so I am on the look for books that would describe the type of life she would have had.

I was just suggesting the "Alaskian Cruise Companion" by Joe Upton to those on my cruise. It was all the rage when we were in Alaska in 05. I am surprised that I haven't seen or heard a word about it this time on the Alaska boards. While the book is really good, I love the map that comes with it. We put it up in our cabin for the duration of the cruise.

If you have a Kindle there are lots of free books about Alaska. Just put in key words like Alaska, Klondike etc. I just downloaded more than a dozen. Not sure if they are any good but they were free.

I ordered the The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton from half.com for less than $5 including shipping, due to a comment made on a CC thread. Love that site...just received the book today.

Also ordered Inside Passage Walking Tours by Julianne Chase on recommendation of a CC member. Very good information for spending time in the port cities.

Love the suggestions here...just ordered Michener's Alaska from ebay along with a couple of his other books, one being Texas, as I'm going there later this year.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Keep them coming!

I ordered the The Alaska Cruise Companion by Joe Upton from half.com for less than $5 including shipping, due to a comment made on a CC thread. Love that site...just received the book today.

Okay, I have to ask did it come with the map? There is a hysterical story about a guy living on a houseboat that has an adventure with a propane bottle. :eek:

another one = "The Reader's Companion to Alaska" edited by Alan Ryan. It is a collection of writings about Alaskan experiences by some of the best travel writers; from John Muir to Ernie Pyle to Anne Morrow Lindbergh and so many more.

Archived