Laughton Glacier Hike ( Skagway) difficulty/ is it worth it?

alohaislandgirl

I will be going to a cruise to Skagway in a week, I have my heart set on hiking the 11 mile ( round trip) trail to the glacier. Has anyone done this? Is it really difficult? I hike occasionally , but have not been in awhile and now am having second thoughts. I am a fairly fit female in my late twenties. I have hiking boots also.

p.s. if you think it is too long of a hike, what would you recommend instead for similar price range and views??

Thank you in advance,

- Clara

Those rocks are sometimes refered to as an 'Alaska garden' and 11 miles of them is a long, long hike.

A half mile of them seems like forever.

It is not my idea of a good time.

In general you do not need hiking boots in Alaska, but this hike might be the exception if you have weak ankles.

I don't take hiking boots to Alaska. I wear walking shoes with slip resistant soles.

Not sure where you got the 11 mile round trip info from. More like 5 miles round trip from the train stop. http://www.skagway.org/vertical/Sites/%7B7820C4E3-63B9-4E67-95BA-7C70FBA51E8F%7D/uploads/%7B68C35A36-4A10-4DB7-8A56-633B821CAF53%7D.PDF

And it is not all rocks - the first part is through a forest on a more traditional trail.

Going on your own or with a tour group? Can do either.

You could do the Lower Dewey Lake trail that doesn't involve a train ride, but not really a similar hike.

Archived