Gracefamily

We have 8 hours in Ocho Rios. Here is what I have to do:

DRF

Mystic Mountain/bobsledding

Cool blue hole/cliff jumping

Island lunch of some kind

River rafting

Last stop margarittaville

I have found an independent guide and he thinks it's possible. Just wondering if I'm cramming to much in. :rolleyes:

Thanks

my opinion

you are over reaching

my qualifications - been to Ocho over 20 times since 1986

DRF and M/Mt plus lunch (probably at one of those places) and dropped at M'ville is doable

Lunch will be a "catch it" but forget the river rafting . . .

been there and done it all . . .

river rafting is fun but sedate ... a slow pole down the White river typically (not a raft down a tumbling river) but the pace is not the basis for my recommendation

DRF and M/Mt are very close to each other so you don't loose a lot of time getting 'tween them. Rafting is else where.

Frankly I believe most people don't get their money's worth at DRF. They think they pay for 1 climb and that's it - that is the way the excursions are set up, and what most independent tours lead you to believe, while the truth is DRF is a national park and you pay for a day's admission. When I go I spend a few hours and climb until I'm worn out (now that's 3 times usually) and forget the guides (well, maybe use one the first time) - we go up the middle!

drf8.jpg

DRF and M/Mt are very close to each other so you don't loose a lot of time getting 'tween them.

Hi Capt_BJ! Thanks again for your previous info on DRF. We are going to try to do M/Mt also. What are your recommendations for transportation? I feel comfortable with getting a cab at the port (one of the government-sanctioned ones) for the first leg of the trip, but I'm a little anxious about getting between the two sites & back to the ship. I've seen lots of posts saying to set up a time to be picked back up, but we have no idea how much time we'll want to spend at either place...

Also, which place would you go to first?

Would you recommend eating at either place, or should we try to add another leg to the trip for lunch?

And... we plan to pay at the gate at DRF, but pre-buy M/Mt via the internet. Is that what you would do?

Any other words of wisdom?

TIA!! You've been great!

What are your recommendations for transportation? I feel comfortable with getting a cab at the port (one of the government-sanctioned ones) for the first leg of the trip, but I'm a little anxious about getting between the two sites & back to the ship. I've seen lots of posts saying to set up a time to be picked back up, but we have no idea how much time we'll want to spend at either place...

just head to the cab stand and tell the dispatcher what you want to do - the sanctioned 'cabs' are really tour buses anyway, with a driver and a guide. They will propose pickup times bsed on what I said - a 'typical' visit. If you want more time, that can be worked out. In reality, you're just gonna hire the car for the day. These popular attractions will have their own dispatchers and your driver will give you his card - the dispatcher can call your driver. I once had my driver as a no show, so the dispatcher just put us in another cab even tho we'd pre-paid it was no problem mon

Also, which place would you go to first?

DRF actually tends to thin out in the afternoon . . .

Would you recommend eating at either place, or should we try to add another leg to the trip for lunch?

I usually offer to buy the driver lunch if he'll take me to his favorite jerk stand, but I hear there is decent food atop M/Mt

And... we plan to pay at the gate at DRF, but pre-buy M/Mt via the internet. Is that what you would do?

I tend to pay as I go, just in case I have a change of plans (esp due to weather)

just head to the cab stand and tell the dispatcher what you want to do - the sanctioned 'cabs' are really tour buses anyway, with a driver and a guide. They will propose pickup times bsed on what I said - a 'typical' visit. If you want more time, that can be worked out. In reality, you're just gonna hire the car for the day. These popular attractions will have their own dispatchers and your driver will give you his card - the dispatcher can call your driver. I once had my driver as a no show, so the dispatcher just put us in another cab even tho we'd pre-paid it was no problem mon

Thank you! That's GREAT information that I haven't been able to find anywhere else on the boards!! Knowing that there are dispatchers at the "hot spots" & knowing that I will get a card from "my" driver relieves a great deal of anxiety!!!!! :-) You are now officially one of my favorite people at CC! :-D

Archived