Viking Cruise Lines - Menu Options

laurmorr

Hi All - I am gluten free (believe me, I wish I didn't have to be). Anyone else out there living gluten free and gone on a Viking Cruise? I'm wondering how easy it will be to eat off the normal menu choices? Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Laurie

After boarding speak with the front desk. They should inform the dining room manager and chef. Also, I would contact the dining room manager personally before dinner. While I have never had an issue with information being passed on from the front desk, due diligence says do not take the chance.

Next, when seated for diner ensure you inform your server as well. They are very good about remembering things like that and advising you. My wife is allergic to coffee (not caffeine, but coffee) and as a lot of deserts use it as an ingredient, we informed our server and he ensured that we were told of any desert that had coffee in it.

Cheers,

My husband and I went on our first Viking river cruise last spring and one of the reasons we selected Viking was their assurance that they could follow my gluten-free diet. Sure enough, they did a great job. I took the steps that Sk8Teacher outlined above, first telling the agent when we booked and then, when boarding talked to the chef and then the waiter at each meal. They even had GF bread as a substitute for me! The only slip-up was when I ordered ice cream for dessert rather than the gluten alternative, but forgot to mention the GF and a new waiter brought the ice cream with a cookie stuck in top of it. :mad: They quickly exchanged it and all else went well. I did not address the possibility of cross-contact with the chef as that's just a chance I take when I eat out but I try to stick with fresh meat and vegetables without sauce as much as possible, so all went well. Have fun! We loved our first Viking cruise and have signed up for another next fall.

Viking has a phone number on their website for those with disabilities and other problems. It is best to inform whichever cruise line that you have issues in advance so that they can be sure to have the right foodstuffs on board.

Guests who have any medical, physical or other special needs should check the
on our website to gain an understanding of the layout of any particular ship, and should contact Viking River Cruises, Inc., at 1-877-668-4546 (1-877-66VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Policy Statement.

I have food issues, too (not as strict as GF but still a well-being issue). The maitre'd was my best friend. Each day at lunch time I checked out the dinner menu and arranged my dinner for that evening. It was easier then dealing with the waitstaff whose English was not always good enough to deal with my questions about the various dishes; besides which, the dining room on our ship was very noisy making it hard for me to hear.

For me, dinner was just so much more pleasant when I didn't have to start the meal dickering with the waiter about what I could and couldn't eat and how I needed a certain dish prepared.

I don't have any food allergies but I can attest to what Peregrina651 said. On the Viking Prestige, one of my new acquaintenances had food allergies and she met daily with the maitre'd to go over that day's menu. The whole process worked wonderfully and she had no problems with the menu whatsoever. Bon appetite!!

I don't have any food allergies but I can attest to what Peregrina651 said. On the Viking Prestige, one of my new acquaintenances had food allergies and she met daily with the maitre'd to go over that day's menu. The whole process worked wonderfully and she had no problems with the menu whatsoever. Bon appetite!!

You know that is awesome that they work with you..

You know that is awesome that they work with you..

Not to be cynical, but the company has a vested interest in keeping its passengers healthy (and therefore happy). Satisfied, happy and healthy customers do not write scathing reviews about how sick they were on their cruise. ;)

• 6 months later...

For those who are really sensitive to gluten and care about cross-contamination, there's a new option: GlutenFreeCruises. Its run by three amazing gluten free experts, and they've charted the boats to make the entire cruise gluten free, and will eliminate cross contamination, and have a full gourmet menu of breads, desserts, meals and even beer (and wine too) that is all gluten free. I'm so excited to be going...Gourmet Gluten free, without worry...who would have thought!

Archived