Free Fun in Belize

cruisingadoptionworker

We have been to Belize a number of times and have done the Altun Ha, and monkey's and cavetubing, ect.

So we went with nothing scheduled. We turned left out of the gate in the port, and shopped around at the vendors (who as usual are incredibly aggressive in their selling tactics). WE got into a conversation about whether it was smart to leave the roped in tourist area. The officer laughed at us, and said the entire area was a tourist area, and that there were officers on every corner. He told us to keep going, and when we get to the bridge, turn left and we can walk all downtown.

Well of course, we are adventurous, but not stupid. WE decided to see how far we could get within a safe proximity. He was right. There is a cop on every street corner. And the aggressive sellers soon abated, and we were left alone, to wander in and out of the little Belize shops (that are a quarter of the price.) We were advised to go all the way down, about 10- 15 minute walk) to the "worlds' oldest church." It wasn't the worlds' oldest but it was early 1800's. At this church was another officer, who advised us to continue down the road, which turns into a dirt path, and go for lunch at the "Bird's Isle Restaruant."

We did, and passed funny little signs along the way (One said, only nasty people litter, so of course, we pretended to litter and got a great facebook shot.) The restaurant, which is visited mostly by locals is located on the water and serves fresh seafood, and island food. We had 1 fanta, 2 VERY STRONG rum and cokes, 2 beers, 2 lobster tail dinner with rice and beans, and a homemade piece of kahluha cheesecake. All for the low price of 22 american dollars. Unbeliezable!

We sauntered back, and had a lovely, incredibly cheap day enjoying the sun, the food, the local's and the culture. And I had my kid with me the entire time and felt safe.

Enjoy!

We have been to Belize a number of times and have done the Altun Ha, and monkey's and cavetubing, ect.

So we went with nothing scheduled. We turned left out of the gate in the port, and shopped around at the vendors (who as usual are incredibly aggressive in their selling tactics). WE got into a conversation about whether it was smart to leave the roped in tourist area. The officer laughed at us, and said the entire area was a tourist area, and that there were officers on every corner. He told us to keep going, and when we get to the bridge, turn left and we can walk all downtown.

Well of course, we are adventurous, but not stupid. WE decided to see how far we could get within a safe proximity. He was right. There is a cop on every street corner. And the aggressive sellers soon abated, and we were left alone, to wander in and out of the little Belize shops (that are a quarter of the price.) We were advised to go all the way down, about 10- 15 minute walk) to the "worlds' oldest church." It wasn't the worlds' oldest but it was early 1800's. At this church was another officer, who advised us to continue down the road, which turns into a dirt path, and go for lunch at the "Bird's Isle Restaruant."

We did, and passed funny little signs along the way (One said, only nasty people litter, so of course, we pretended to litter and got a great facebook shot.) The restaurant, which is visited mostly by locals is located on the water and serves fresh seafood, and island food. We had 1 fanta, 2 VERY STRONG rum and cokes, 2 beers, 2 lobster tail dinner with rice and beans, and a homemade piece of kahluha cheesecake. All for the low price of 22 american dollars. Unbeliezable!

We sauntered back, and had a lovely, incredibly cheap day enjoying the sun, the food, the local's and the culture. And I had my kid with me the entire time and felt safe.

Enjoy!

Your day in Belize sounds great & safe as well.

We have also have been there many times & are looking for a new experience & have some questions.

When you crossed the swing bridge, which way did you go from there ?

As I recall, you have the choice after the bridge of turning right & like walking up the river, or bearing right & going out a city street, or bearing left & going out the same type of city street????

Please give me specific directions & we may try this next time.

Thanks !!

Belize is wonderful and the people great! My wife and 7 year old daughter and I met wonderful folks and ate great local food. Great culture so different from our world.

Those that just do cave-tubing or ruins or beach trips are really missing seeing the true Belize City. To go to a port and to do what one can do elsewhere...I just can't buy into that?

Then again, we cruise to see new ports/places. Anything else like shipo time is secondary. Some say why cruise then, hard to find something cheaper that can get you into 4 ports in a week.

The whole thing about Belize being scary...it's not scary, just different. Show me 5 instances of problems, I'll show you 5 in Chicago etc..

Your day in Belize sounds great & safe as well.

We have also have been there many times & are looking for a new experience & have some questions.

When you crossed the swing bridge, which way did you go from there ?

As I recall, you have the choice after the bridge of turning right & like walking up the river, or bearing right & going out a city street, or bearing left & going out the same type of city street????

Please give me specific directions & we may try this next time.

Thanks !!

We went through the port gates, and turned left and walked passed the vendors tables (all of which are on the right side). We continued straight until we reached the bridge, and then stayed left and continued straight right until we reached Bird's Isle. Basically it's where all the stores are. It sounds more confusing then it is.

We went through the port gates, and turned left and walked passed the vendors tables (all of which are on the right side). We continued straight until we reached the bridge, and then stayed left and continued straight right until we reached Bird's Isle. Basically it's where all the stores are. It sounds more confusing then it is.

Could you please be more specific as to your directions after you cross the swing bridge ?

Thanks !!

Bill in FL

Could you please be more specific as to your directions after you cross the swing bridge ?

Thanks !!

Bill in FL

Bill, Can't speak for the OP, but the street you are on after walking across the swing bridge is Albert Street. I gather from the description Albert Street was the street they took back to the swing bridge. Bird Isle is at #9 Albert Street, across from Brody's. Going away from the swing bridge, if you hang left and walk past the court building and civic center concert hall, that's Regent Street. Either will take you past St John's (oldest Anglican church in Central America, not the world, LOL) across Regents Street from St. John's is the Cultural museum (old Governors Mansion) which you can see from the tender ride in-yard with boat and cannons.

Bill, Can't speak for the OP, but the street you are on after walking across the swing bridge is Albert Street. I gather from the description Albert Street was the street they took back to the swing bridge. Bird Isle is at #9 Albert Street, across from Brody's. Going away from the swing bridge, if you hang left and walk past the court building and civic center concert hall, that's Regent Street. Either will take you past St John's (oldest Anglican church in Central America, not the world, LOL) across Regents Street from St. John's is the Cultural museum (old Governors Mansion) which you can see from the tender ride in-yard with boat and cannons.

well said. thank you.

Archived