Departure out of Balimore

fay54

Anyone know why all the cruise lines have blackballed Baltimore except for Royal Caribbean? We have cruised out of Miami, and New York and San Juan and I don't see where Baltimore is any different. The only thing is the ships have to go under a bridge, so the ships can't be in the Voyager class.

Most likely due to a lack of a decent passenger cruise terminal. Understand the terminal now being used is sort of in the "boon docks", an industrial area and not very convenient location either....

I too wish I knew why ships have stopped using Baltimore as a port of departure. I sailed out of Baltimore in 2003 and it was sooooo nice being able to drive to the port. The location was very easy to get to . . . though nothing fancy, it was very efficient . . . just parked, handed my luggage over to a porter who put it on a big truck (sort of like what the airlines use), got on a little bus which took us right to the terminal where we checked in and within less than thirty minutes . . . we were on board the Galaxy. I so hope more cruise ships will return to Baltimore.

• 1 month later...

The last I heard, most cruise lines were in negotations to bring cruise lines to Baltimore. Most cruise lines want a permanent terminal, and this has been the hold up. I too sailed out Baltimore on the Legends in 2003. Was very beautiful seeing the chesapeake bay bridge and bay bridge tunnel all lit up at night. I do remember that a tug boat had to follow us thru the bay because someone else had to captain and steer the boat thru the bay, not the normal captain. The no frills terminal was just as hectic as perm. terminals, so what is the difference? Baltimore's no frills is defintely better than customs at San Juan. :mad:

All cruise ships have pilot "captains" that take crusie ships in and out of local ports. The ship's Captain doesn't take over his ship until he is in open water. Yes, Baltimore is definately a "no frills" Port and it was sooooo much better than the permanent cruise port in Miami. Took about thirty minutes to get on board in Baltimore and three hours in Miami. I want to cruise out of Baltimore again! :(

All cruise ships have Pilot "captains" that take cruise ships in and out of local Ports. The ship's Captain doesn't take over his ship until he is in open water. Yes, Baltimore is definately a "no frills" Port but it was sooooo much better than the permanent Cruise Port in Miami. Took about thirty minutes to get on board in Baltimore and three hours in Miami. I want to cruise out of Baltimore again! :( And I agree completely . . . seeing the Bay Bridge as you sail out of Baltimore was fantastic! :p

I too wish I knew why ships have stopped using Baltimore as a port of departure. I sailed out of Baltimore in 2003 and it was sooooo nice being able to drive to the port. The location was very easy to get to . . . though nothing fancy, it was very efficient . . . just parked, handed my luggage over to a porter who put it on a big truck (sort of like what the airlines use), got on a little bus which took us right to the terminal where we checked in and within less than thirty minutes . . . we were on board the Galaxy. I so hope more cruise ships will return to Baltimore.[/quote

:)

So right about the convenience. We drove from North Huntingdon, PA in October 2004 to sail Grandeur of the Seas; New England cruise. Although there were no frills; we passed thru all check points with little or no problems....

Only problem we had was when we returned; one of our baggages went with the wrong person. Everything was returned within a few days. RCI personnel couldn't have been more helpful

Anyone know why all the cruise lines have blackballed Baltimore except for Royal Caribbean? We have cruised out of Miami, and New York and San Juan and I don't see where Baltimore is any different. The only thing is the ships have to go under a bridge, so the ships can't be in the Voyager class.

We just came back to Baltimore on the Grandeur (RCI). I think they were leaving from there for another round this Sat/Sun.

OK, here's the deal: I live fairly close to Baltimore. We started planning our family cruise about a year ago. When I saw that there really wasn't anything too enticing out of Baltimore, I started inquiring. I have been told that Baltimore USED TO BE considered a prime location for cruises (especially after 9/11). All the major cruise lines began contacting Baltimore to set up itineraries. Baltimore then began to see a revenue opportunity and made all kinds of promises to build a state-of-the-art passenger pier (most cruise lines are using the freight piers which are very conducive to freighters, but not passengers :( ). So, the cruise lines began offering great cruises (we were SOOOOOO excited: 30 minutes and we're there!). However, Baltimore never came through on their promises and didn't even lift a brick to begin building this "great passenger terminal" that they were supposed to build. So, the cruise lines pulled out :mad:

I love Baltimore. And, the mayors of yesterday have done a great job cleaning up the harbor and making it super nice for visitors and residents alike. However, they really dropped the ball on this one. There are still no future plans to build a terminal. I really, really hope they change their minds.

I'll keep you all informed.

:( ). So, the cruise lines began offering great cruises (we were SOOOOOO excited: 30 minutes and we're there!). However, Baltimore never came through on their promises and didn't even lift a brick to begin building this "great passenger terminal" that they were supposed to build. So, the cruise lines pulled out...

You were very kind w/how you put the why Baltimore isn't getting the cruise ships and the "terminal" they have been using is the pits! Norfolk is a huge, nicely renovated terminal (thanks to Carnival) - it's a driveable option to avoid flying, albeit limited. The other thing Baltimore dropped the ball on is slots - I guess they don't mind losing $$$$ to Delaware, New Jersey, W.Virginia, etc.etc. Go figure!!!!! no wonder our taxes are so darn high and never mind our cancer rate! grrrr...ok, so I just opened a can of worms.....

You were very kind w/how you put the why Baltimore isn't getting the cruise ships and the "terminal" they have been using is the pits! Norfolk is a huge' date=' nicely renovated terminal (thanks to Carnival) - it's a driveable option to avoid flying, albeit limited. The [i']other thing[/i] Baltimore dropped the ball on is slots - I guess they don't mind losing $$$$ to Delaware, New Jersey, W.Virginia, etc.etc. Go figure!!!!! no wonder our taxes are so darn high and never mind our cancer rate! grrrr...ok, so I just opened a can of worms.....

Jake ~ thank you so much for your kind words (very refreshing here on the cc boards!). I agree with you about the slots. However, it's not just Baltimore considering it, it's the whole state of MD. The speaker of the house here just doesn't like Governor Erlich (who is all for the slots BTW). But, I digress. Again, if the mayor of Baltimore would sit up and take notice of how much $$$$ is being lost by NOT building the pier, I think we'd see some action :)

to those who "know" ...isn't the Mayor of Baltimore a little hottie:D? I'm so sorry he's giving up his band & black muscle shirt to pursue his political interests :rolleyes: (glad I got his CD whilst I had the chance!) ok, well, I digress too. the closest from home I've ever sailed was out of NY, but it so happened our cruise sailed just days after 9-11. the port was closed, so Carnival bussed us to Boston...never mind the fiasco those logistics entailed - OMG! The point is that the East Coast offers some wonderful cruising opportunities but does lack passenger terminal facilities. As well, there's those rough seas off the coast of the Carolinas. the new ships can go farther faster but there are logistical obstacles over which the cruise lines have little or no control. I think Baltimore is ideal as a cruise ship port; however, until the political hurdles are overcome, this won't happen....

Thank you all for your comments and information. I do hope Baltimore will build a permanent terminal. It is nice sailing out of Baltimore. We found it as pleasant if not nicer than New York, or San Juan. Go figure. The only thing is unless you fly, most of the ships go to the Bahamas and I do not care for Freeport or the main island. However, we do cruise out of Baltimore in June and will visit Freeport. Cozumel, Coco Cay, Key West and Port Canaveral. I am also not thrilled with two stops in Florida, that I could drive to. Don't know why the ships are starting to stop in Florida. The Keys is nice and I have not been to Port Canaveral, but would rather stop at places I cannot drive to.

We cruised from Baltimore on the Miracle in October. We live 15 minutes from the port! :(

The last I read was a plan to build a new port in south Locust Point, however, I'll believe it when I see it.

And, I won't even get into the whole slots issue.

Well, my horse didn't win the Preakness today, but the weather was great for the race!

We cruised from Baltimore on the Miracle in October. We live 15 minutes from the port! :(

The last I read was a plan to build a new port in south Locust Point, however, I'll believe it when I see it.

And, I won't even get into the whole slots issue.

Well, my horse didn't win the Preakness today, but the weather was great for the race!

Weather was also great for the Air Show at Andrews Air Force Base. Gotta love those Thunderbirds . . . . :p

:) Ladycaveat: The cruise ships (actually all ships in Baltimore) use 2 different types of pilots . The first is the docking pilot who docks and undocks the ships. He leaves the ship when it crosses under the Key Bridge, The second pilots ( there are 2) who are the Bay pilots they take the ship all the way down the bay to ocean waters at the end of the Chesapeake Bay.

:) JDee: The cruise terminal is locate in a working cargo terminal and the surroounding land are also industrial buildings that are refitted for use . The locating of the terminal is not really hard to get to.

:cool: The mayor of Baltimore has no control over a cruise terminal as the land belongs to the state.The state is renovating an old cargo terminal at South Side Locust Point Terminalto accomodate crusie ships in 2006. This location is right off of Interstate 95 and very easy to get to. Now if only the governor would stop playing games and get serious about a state of the art terminal we will have to settle with this terminal for now.

Slots has nothing to do with the cruise terminal. This is another isssue all together.

Madelinerose : The Grandeur will be back again in 2006. I found this info on the RCCL's website. From what I heard some are waiting to see how the cruise terminal at South Side Locust Point works out. But then again poltics will rule what happens here.

Oh right, I did see the Grandeur. Yeah, the politics thing - :rolleyes:.

I have a Princess cruise booked out of NY (Red Hook, Brooklyn) on the new Crown for Sept 2006 (Eastern including Bermuda - got a good price).Amtrak is much easier than dealing with the airports, imho.

I haven't been around Locust Point for about 2 months. Have they actually started construction on the port?

Madelinerose : The Grandeur will be back again in 2006. I found this info on the RCCL's website. From what I heard some are waiting to see how the cruise terminal at South Side Locust Point works out. But then again poltics will rule what happens here.

They are just refurbishing an exisiting cargo shed not sure what they are doing to the inside of it. If you drive by the area is a smaller shed with a banner on it. It south of the other cargo sheds.

Hey Karen, We've booked another cruise to Bermuda on RCCL out of Bayonne as RCCL has a bus service to the Cape Liberty port from Lancaster. Hope you enjoy the Princess.

DH, Bryan, & I also wish that Carnival would come back to Baltimore as we loved cruising from that port on the Miracle to the Bahamas.

Wendy

Hey Wendy...is that on the Voyager? I wonder if the bus comes to Baltimore? Maybe I'll check it out.

Yeah, the only one out of Baltimore next year is the Grandeur and, imho, the prices are too high for an older ship.

Looking forward to trying Princess. That Personal Choice dining is a plus for us also.

Good talking to you. Wow, I just had a flashback of our cruise. I hope you both are fine! ;)

Archived