what to do from Civitavecchia that is not Rome?

happy_travellers

One of the issues with train travel in Italy, and even sometimes with buses, is that it's easy to go north or south, but east and west are often a challenge. If you are interested in heading inland to one of the hill towns, it's a lot easier if you have a car. Are you willing to rent one and drive yourself?

One of the issues with train travel in Italy, and even sometimes with buses, is that it's easy to go north or south, but east and west are often a challenge. If you are interested in heading inland to one of the hill towns, it's a lot easier if you have a car. Are you willing to rent one and drive yourself?

I am looking for a "casual " type day, not a lot of stress. However, that being said I think my DH would love any type of day that would have great photo ops.

Thanks for any thoughts, Karen

I'm not clear if you mean that driving is stressful for you?

With a car you could take a leisurely drive including Tarquinia, Viterbo and Lake Bracciano. You'd have lots of different types of photo ops, natural beauty, history, hills, seaside, etc. The entire circle is only about 100 miles, so your actual driving time would only be about three hours, leaving lots of time for exploring and photographing.

I'm not clear if you mean that driving is stressful for you?

With a car you could take a leisurely drive including Tarquinia, Viterbo and Lake Bracciano. You'd have lots of different types of photo ops, natural beauty, history, hills, seaside, etc. The entire circle is only about 100 miles, so your actual driving time would only be about three hours, leaving lots of time for exploring and photographing.

Thanks for the option. We have rented a car many times and I would say that sometimes there have been stressful times. But of course the rewards have outweighed the problems.

Is there a car rental right by the cruise port?

I like the idea of a leisurely day but wondering if there is enough in Tarquinia?

Karen

I am looking for a "casual " type day, not a lot of stress. However, that being said I think my DH would love any type of day that would have great photo ops.

Thanks for any thoughts, Karen

Hi. Do not know how long you have in port---? Luca is near Rome and some venture to Florence (I would not!). There are so many parts of Rome to see: check into the neighborhoods.

Have you done Pompeii? Amalfi coast is spectacular and stopping in on any seaside town is wonderful: Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Ravello, Sorrento...oh, so many. Again your time in port is a factor in all of these options.

Lastly, from Naples you can go to Ischia for the day, small lovely island---heaven, Capri... (or a few other small islands are nearby)!

Research is the key and it is time consuming! Have fun and relax a bit for sure!! :)

Hi. Do not know how long you have in port---? Luca is near Rome and some venture to Florence (I would not!).

I think you are confusing Civitavecchia (the port for Rome) and Livorno (the port for Florence).

Lucca is no where near Rome; it is 180 miles from Civitavecchia. By train it would take a minimum of three hours each way to get there.

Florence is about the same distance and would take at least as long by train.

Archived