Opinion on visiting a fort

chrisedwards

I will be boarding the Valor hopefully in the early afternoon on a Sunday. Was thinking about getting off and going to visit one of the forts in San Juan. I was wondering what everyones opinion as to the best fort to visit. I have 2 boys 15 and 10 and would like to visit one that is not too difficult to find. We will be leaving from New York early in the am and I am sure they will not be up to too much adventure that day. I have never been to San Juan so any information would be helpful. Thanks for the input. :)

I would try El Morro. You can walk there fairly easily or take the trolley if you prefer. If you walk, you'll also go by a neat fountain where water comes out of the ground and the kids enjoy playing in it. Lots of families go there to fly kites on the expansive lawn also.

If you get a good walking map, you'll be able to easily navigate the city on your own and discover neat places along the way. There are lots of restaurants, food vendors, and shops you can visit in between.

The city is so different from your typical Caribbean port and you can make a great day from exploring the forts and city. There is another smaller fort closer to the port that you can visit as well. Just check your map for directions.

Both forts are very easy to find. Try to pick up a street map that includes all three trolley routes. We liked the setting and grounds of El Morro, but found the artifacts at San Cristobal provided a better insight into life at the forts. There is a short introductory movie at El Morro that was very interesting (not sure if it runs at San Cristobal as well).

If you ride the trolley, try to catch the white, open-air ones run by the US Park Service. They do the complete loop (the green trolleys do two different partial routes), and you'll get to at least see both forts and the outskirts of the city. Do walk through the Old Town and along the wall a bit.The city is full of small parks, plazas and fountains. Go down the small road to the cemetery, it is a fascinating place to visit and would be of interest to the boys, I think.

I will be boarding the Valor hopefully in the early afternoon on a Sunday. Was thinking about getting off and going to visit one of the forts in San Juan. I was wondering what everyones opinion as to the best fort to visit. I have 2 boys 15 and 10 and would like to visit one that is not too difficult to find. We will be leaving from New York early in the am and I am sure they will not be up to too much adventure that day. I have never been to San Juan so any information would be helpful. Thanks for the input. :)

Since kids get bored quickly, I'd do both forts as they are free for kids 15 and under and I'd just spend less time at each one. An adult ticket for both is $5 dollars so the whole thing is pretty cheap.

If you plan it right you can enjoy the free trolley in between.

Upon arrival we immediately headed for San Cristobal Fortress on foot. Then on to El Moro Castle via the city wall walkway by the sea. Both were really cool to visit. Very impressive, massive, structures. Cost is $3.00 per person for each site, or $5.00 per person for both sites. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi. It is pretty easy to walk around town as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both. (Check out the restrooms in El Moro. You won't find a restroom anywhere with better views).

If you do see both, go to San Cristobal first. It's closer and it has signage that does a better job of explaining what you're looking at and why the forts were of strategic value.

More Secrets of the Caribbean: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

• 2 months later...

We will be in San Juan from 7am-2pm. So in reality, it's more like 9-1 (by the time we get up, have breakfast and out the door and getting back on the ship)

So in a roughly 4-5 time span, I'm thinking of maybe taking the trolley up to El Moro, spend some time there, then walk down to San Cristobal, explore that, then walk around the town close to the pier. Sound do-able? Can you walk to/from each fort? We will be traveling with two other families just not sure if they'd be doing the same stuff as we want to do. But we will have our two boys (17 & 18)

We've never been but I hear it's a lot of uphill walking, correct? If you can walk from each fort, I'm just wondering if we take a trolley to El Moro first, is it a downhill walk to San Cristobal? What about walking around the forts, themselves? Are they pretty level or uphill/downhill walking. Just asking because of a foot & knee injury.

So in a roughly 4-5 time span, I'm thinking of maybe taking the trolley up to El Moro, spend some time there, then walk down to San Cristobal, explore that, then walk around the town close to the pier. Sound do-able?

Yes. The timing is about right. There's plenty of architecture, public squares, monuments, shops, dining places, throughout the town.

Can you walk to/from each fort? We've never been but I hear it's a lot of uphill walking, correct?

The forts are maybe a hundred or hundred and fifty feet above sea level, which is the pier. You reach there in six-eight blocks for Cristobal, somewhat more for El Morro. It's not bad for a fit person who doesn't have a knee or foot injury.

Just asking because of a foot & knee injury.

Oops.

If you can walk from each fort, I'm just wondering if we take a trolley to El Moro first, is it a downhill walk to San Cristobal?

Pretty much level, half-mile or so. It's a pleasant walk with views over the Atlantic.

What about walking around the forts, themselves? Are they pretty level or uphill/downhill walking.

Each fort has several levels with stairs or ramps connecting. I do not recall if there are any elevators.

Archived