Taxi to Fortress of Louisbourg- Sydney- A few questions

We are a group of 14. We want to take a taxi (or a few taxi) to the Fort. A few questions.

1) Do we need to reserve a taxi in advance?

2) If we need to reserve a taxi in advance, who should we call?

3) What is the cost for the taxi ride to the Fort?

4) We have twin 9 month old babies. Can the babies just sit on our lap?

Thanks for all your help.

1) Do we need to reserve a taxi in advance? Probably but there are a few taxis at the dock from what I have read here.

2) If we need to reserve a taxi in advance, who should we call? City Wide Taxi http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1450281

OR Brian from Dynasty Cabs http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k4847897-Tours_from_Cruise_Ships_at_Sydney_Port-Nova_Scotia.html#36180250

3) What is the cost for the taxi ride to the Fort? I do not have current information, sorry.

4) We have twin 9 month old babies. Can the babies just sit on our lap?

We have seat belt and child restrain laws, but I am not sure if they apply to taxis. However, I would want my child properly restrained whatever the law. I think busses are exempted and you may wish to look into Blue Diamond Tours because of that.

Given the number of people as well as the distance (40+ kms) you might want to see if there are any local tour/bus companies who can work with you. I would have to imagine it would be a lot less (and more convenient) to rent one of those small mini buses for your group.

At a minimum I think it would be worthwhile to check with a few of the local taxi companies to see if any use 7 passenger mini vans that you can pre-book.

Have fun, you'll enjoy the Fortress.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Sydney on a family cruise, therefore I can answer your question. We also tried to rent a van to no avail. In fact, there were not even 7 passenger van's available. We are a party of 7 with a 9 month old baby. I called several taxi companies prior to the trip and it didn't really help much. We had to rent 2 taxis and I thought it was expensive. For 4 hours, the rental rate was $170. You might even need 3!! City Wide taxi's was by far the most reputable. Do not use Dynasty. One of our taxi's was Dynasty and the driver was Diane. She didn't know one thing about the island or surrounding area.

The fort is definitely worth the trek out there. It's amazing. If you are on Holland America, I think the excursion might have been the better deal for our group as they had a guide, then allowed you to explore on your own.

Tips: Get there as early as you can and try to book the guided tour. It's one hour long, but phenomenal. Ask for the family rate when you buy tickets at the park. Bring sweaters and wear comfortable shoes. Strollers work.

Have fun!

Archived