8/12 Sun Northbound Alaska plus cruise tour review

JessLCH

We are a family of four, with kids ages 11 and 9. We are Platinum NCL cruisers and love freestyle dining as well as NCL's two bedroom suites. We chose this cruise purely for the itinerary, knowing the ship would be older and not one we would ordinarily choose. The Sun offers no two bedroom suites so we booked a pair of the very few connecting cabins that exist on the Sun. We knew what we would be giving up of the suite life and were okay with that for the amazing itinerary.

While we expected an older ship without the bells and whistles of Epic, Pearl and the several other NCL ships we have sailed, we were disappointed in the ship. The main problem was a HUGE one which had a big impact on our cruise. Our connecting cabins, 9264 and 9265 were right by the aft stairwell. This area smelled of sewage from the minute we embarked until we disembarked. The smell permeated our rooms as well as many public areas in the aft areas of the ship, such as the theater, the entrance to the main dining room and even the buffet at times. It was disgusting and really had a negative impact on our cruise. I cannot understand why I have never seen anyone complain about this before in reviews. It was extremely noticeable on our sailing. It is reason enough that I would never sail the Sun again. Other than the smell, we found the staff to be the most inexperienced of any cruise we've been on, though they were polite and tried their best. The balcony cabin was spacious for two and had ample storage and we had a lot of stuff! Even the bathroom had plenty of storage. The only problem was the shower was tiny. Shaving legs in there was somewhere between a comedy routine and a hazard. My husband and I both found the bed to be hard and uncomfortable. The kids did not complain. Our cabin steward was just as good as any we've had.

Aboard the ship, when we were not enjoying the amazing scenery and wildlife, we spent time doing cruise activities like crafts, scavenger hunt, trivia, etc. Krazy Kevin was our favorite. My kids don't like going to Kids Clubs so we also used the game room for board games. The weather was even warm enough for the kids to swim on two different days. We went to the show the first night and found it so cheezy that nobody wanted to go to another show except the magician and the cruise staff show. We all enjoyed those. Richard, the cruise director was a dud.

As far as dining, we love Moderno. It is our favorite NCL restaurant. It was the best of the week. We loved the setting and view in Il Adagio but the food was just okay. The steakhouse was not worth the $30 cover. Moderno is better in every possible way. My son's filet was so overcooked that we sent it back. We ate in Four Seasons a couple times. It was average food. What was strange is the two times we ate there it was FREEZING. The a/c was on so high that many had jackets on. We did not go back for a third try. We usually like NCL buffets but this one is small and not well laid out. It also seemed to have fewer choices than on other ships. The best bet is to eat in the Great Outdoors, weather permitting or Moderno for breakfast.

Now, onto the actual reason we took this cruise: the amazing itinerary! We cruised Alaska round trip from Seattle on the Pearl a few years ago and wanted to try a more in depth Alaska itinerary so we chose the Sun Northbound and added on the 4 night Denali Alyeska cruise tour. We were very lucky with our weather and our nature. Throughout water was calm as glass until the very last day. The scenery is breathtaking. On the first sea day in the late afternoon we saw maybe a dozen or so whales right from our balcony including breaches, pectoral slaps and many tails. It was AMAZING! The entire way up we saw hundreds of salmon jumping out of the water. We also saw many sea otters. Do NOT forget your binoculars! Glacier Bay was just as spectacular as I had remembered from our cruise on the Pearl. What I did not expect was how blown away I was by Hubbard. It was breathtaking. We were so lucky with calm waters that we were able to get very close.

We booked all our excursions through NCL and they were all excellent. In Ketchikan we did a geocaching excursion, in Juneau we did the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale watch combo, and in Skagway we did the Adventure Course/ Zip Line. (I cannot recall the precise name of each excursion.) The scenery and tour guides were terrific on all the excursions. We watched salmon running in Ketchikan and at Mendenhall. We saw many humpbacks very close, about 50 sea lions and even an orca! We were so very lucky with our weather and nature spotting! We even saw a harbor seal poke his head out of the water with a salmon in mouth right next to the dock in Skagway.

Post cruise, we did the 4 night Denail/Alyeska tour. It was excellent with terrific guides and ease of all luggage and transportation taken care of. I would definitely recommend it. The Alyeska resort is beautiful. The bus ride to Denali is LONG but well worth it. We saw a moose right by the road on the way. We stopped at an Iditarod musher's camp on the way up and that was terrific to see the dogs and hear about the race. My kids fell in love with the puppies. The guides are excellent at giving information about the wildlife and culture. Our tour included the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 62 miles into Denali Park. I cannot imagine going all the way to Denali and NOT doing this tour. Yes, it is 8 hours on a bus, but really the only way to see the wildlife. We were so fortunate to see a few grizzlies including a mama and two cubs who walked DIRECTLY past our bus after grazing on berries. They were so close that you could almost reach out the window and touch them. We saw caribou, moose and sheep also. We even got a clear enough day to see Mt.McKinley. Denali is spectacular. We were lucky, I hear, to be there POST mosquito season. Also, we seemed to be there at the peak time for wildlife. (We were there mid-August.) The glass dome train ride back to Anchorage was also a treat. We had a tour group of less than 30, but a whole train car that seats 80 to ourselves.

All in all, a spectacular vacation on a less than spectacular ship.

In fact, many folks have been complaining here about the foul odor on the Sun (towards the aft) in recent weeks.

Starting to sound like more than an isolated case or two - but perhaps a more significant issue. Sad to hear about the problem... I sailed the Sun around 10 years ago (wow) and really did enjoy her.

Edited by triptolemus

Sounds like your trip overall was wonderful. Alaska is beautiful.

We were on the Sun in June and only 1 day did I notice anything that smelled but it went away a few hours later.

We love the Sun and her staff were superior to the other cruises we have been on (an im not knocking the others). Sure hope that get the order fix because I would love to sail on her again. Love the ship

Thank you for taking the time to review your cruise. Very balanced

Post cruise, we did the 4 night Denail/Alyeska tour. It was excellent with terrific guides and ease of all luggage and transportation taken care of. I would definitely recommend it. The Alyeska resort is beautiful. The bus ride to Denali is LONG but well worth it. We saw a moose right by the road on the way. We stopped at an Iditarod musher's camp on the way up and that was terrific to see the dogs and hear about the race. My kids fell in love with the puppies. The guides are excellent at giving information about the wildlife and culture. Our tour included the Tundra Wilderness Tour which goes 62 miles into Denali Park. I cannot imagine going all the way to Denali and NOT doing this tour. Yes, it is 8 hours on a bus, but really the only way to see the wildlife. We were so fortunate to see a few grizzlies including a mama and two cubs who walked DIRECTLY past our bus after grazing on berries. They were so close that you could almost reach out the window and touch them. We saw caribou, moose and sheep also. We even got a clear enough day to see Mt.McKinley. Denali is spectacular. We were lucky, I hear, to be there POST mosquito season. Also, we seemed to be there at the peak time for wildlife. (We were there mid-August.) The glass dome train ride back to Anchorage was also a treat. We had a tour group of less than 30, but a whole train car that seats 80 to ourselves.

All in all, a spectacular vacation on a less than spectacular ship.

I read your review with interest on the Denali/Alyeska excursion. Besides the Alyeska resort, what other hotels did you stay at? I understand that breakfast is not included. But there are 2 sack lunches. Where there many restaurants close to the hotels?

Thank you.

paiagirl

I read your review with interest on the Denali/Alyeska excursion. Besides the Alyeska resort, what other hotels did you stay at? I understand that breakfast is not included. But there are 2 sack lunches. Where there many restaurants close to the hotels?

Thank you.

paiagirl

The ALyeska Hotel is really nice. A Tram and lunch ticket are included. there is a cafe at the top of the tram. I think the ticket was for a sandwhich, chips and a drink. The hotel was really nice and we had great burgers for dinner in the hotel. The hotel near Denali was McKinley Village and it was much nicer than I expected. It was situated on a pretty waterway and the rooms were much newer than I expected. Still very basic accommodations but clean and new. they had a Starbucks and a sit down restaurant onsite. there is also a free shuttle into town for restaurants. The Denali tundra tour included bottled water and a boxed lunch of a roll, reindeer sausage, chips and trail mix, if I recall correctly. The hotel in Anchorage was the Sheration and, to my surprise, full breakfast buffet vouchers were included. all the accommodations were nicer than I expected.

Do you live in paia, you lucky thing? My goal is to move to Maui when my kids are out of the house...10 or so years to go!

Edited by JessLCH

The ALyeska Hotel is really nice. A Tram and lunch ticket are included. there is a cafe at the top of the tram. I think the ticket was for a sandwhich, chips and a drink. The hotel was really nice and we had great burgers for dinner in the hotel. The hotel near Denali was McKinley Village and it was much nicer than I expected. It was situated on a pretty waterway and the rooms were much newer than I expected. Still very basic accommodations but clean and new. they had a Starbucks and a sit down restaurant onsite. there is also a free shuttle into town for restaurants. The Denali tundra tour included bottled water and a boxed lunch of a roll, reindeer sausage, chips and trail mix, if I recall correctly. The hotel in Anchorage was the Sheration and, to my surprise, full breakfast buffet vouchers were included. all the accommodations were nicer than I expected.

Do you live in paia, you lucky thing? My goal is to move to Maui when my kids are out of the house...10 or so years to go!

Thank you so much for all the information. Am looking forward to this excursion, now that I know more details.

I was raised in Paia but now live on the mainland.

Thanks for the review. I tought the Denali tour included a train trip, is this not so? Or some tours do and some don't?

I have also seen a couple of reviews mentioning the smell on the back of the ship. I sure hope this is fixed before January.

Re-read the very end of my review. It mentions the train ride...it was on the way back from Denali to Anchorage. Very luxurious and relaxing with a full dining car restaurant downstairs and glass domed luxury seating upstairs with guide and full bar.

JessLCH, you got me excited that I looked up air fares. What time did the train arrive in Anchorage and did some cruisers depart Anchorage the day of arrival?

Thank you.

paiagirl

The train ride is 8 hours and often late, I am told (and it was late for us). We did not get to Anchorage until the late evening, maybe 8 pm or later. I can't remember the time exactly but it was late. Definitely book your flight for the following day. You are paying for the transfers and hotel in Anchorage anyway. Transportation to the airport is included.

JessLCH, you got me excited that I looked up air fares. What time did the train arrive in Anchorage and did some cruisers depart Anchorage the day of arrival?

Thank you.

paiagirl

And nobody in our tour left Anchorage that night. They all stayed overnight at the Sheraton.

The train ride is 8 hours and often late, I am told (and it was late for us). We did not get to Anchorage until the late evening, maybe 8 pm or later. I can't remember the time exactly but it was late. Definitely book your flight for the following day. You are paying for the transfers and hotel in Anchorage anyway. Transportation to the airport is included.

Thank you very much. I am so glad that you posted about your cruise and excursion and information that helps a lot.

I agree with many of your points. The staff seems a bit inexperienced but they make up for it with effort and kindness. It's hard to be upset with someone who is trying so hard to please you.

We were recently on deck 10 aft and did not notice any sewer smell so maybe they fixed the problem. The Four Seasons restaurant was always freezing, not sure why.

We thought the biggest issue was with the buffet. The size and selection were just so limited. We are used to the Jewel class buffets and above and the Sun's buffet is half the size, if that.

Moderno was good if you like meat and very low light, which we do. Le Bistro not so much. Brightly lit and my filet was the worst I have ever had in Le Bistro. Il Adagio was our favorite restaurant, but that might be a biased view because we also had breakfast and lunch in there as well.

We thought the MDR food was pretty good, but sometimes the service was slow. A gentle reminder to the server sped things up if we has a showtime to make.

Overall, we thought the Sun was a fantastic ship with a very kind, polite and eager crew. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again if the itenerary meets our needs.

We too were on that sailing. There was definitely a smell. We mentioned it to the hotel director and he said they were aware of it and doing their best to fix/control it. I thought it was a bit better towards the end and mostly noticed it when waiting for the 7 seas dining room.

Our overall experience was much better than yours. We ran into a lot a very experienced waiters and crew members. I was very impressed with the crew! You are correct that the layout of the buffet could be better, but we found the food there remarkably good for a quick bite.

When I am on vacation, I am not carrying around a tablet to note every problem or issue that may happen. You should have talked to someone about your cabin. I know for a fact they had other cabins available---you probably could have been moved.

You are also correct that the sights/sounds and scenery was and is the best part of this itinerary! I am told that we got closer and saw more of the glaciers than on any other trip of the summer!!

Edited by pjl1

We too were on that sailing. There was definitely a smell. We mentioned it to the hotel director and he said they were aware of it and doing their best to fix/control it. I thought it was a bit better towards the end and mostly noticed it when waiting for the 7 seas dining room.

Our overall experience was much better than yours. We ran into a lot a very experienced waiters and crew members. I was very impressed with the crew! You are correct that the layout of the buffet could be better, but we found the food there remarkably good for a quick bite.

When I am on vacation, I am not carrying around a tablet to note every problem or issue that may happen. You should have talked to someone about your cabin. I know for a fact they had other cabins available---you probably could have been moved.

You are also correct that the sights/sounds and scenery was and is the best part of this itinerary! I am told that we got closer and saw more of the glaciers than on any other trip of the summer!!

I wasn't carrying around a notepad to list everything that went wrong. Just posting the pros and cons of our trip. The very reason we booked the cabins we booked were because they were connecting cabins, very few of which exist on the Sun and they are all near the aft stairwells. So attempting to move cabins did not seem something to even consider. But, in retrospect, I should have complained. It certainly would have pleased the incredulous posters who have reacted negatively to my posting my experience. Not sure what else it would have accomplished since I was quite sure the staff was aware of the problem as I noticed crew spraying air freshener in the stairwell area on day one.

I should also note that I had planned on noting my concerns about the odor in my post cruise survey, which I have always received from NCL by email very shortly after returning from my cruises. To date, I have not received any such survey.

I should also note that I had planned on noting my concerns about the odor in my post cruise survey, which I have always received from NCL by email very shortly after returning from my cruises. To date, I have not received any such survey.

Jess, You took me the wrong way. It pains me that someone paying good money did not enjoy a trip and I believe the staff would have done anything in their power to help solve your issue. Not sure why you did not get a survey...I had it in my in box before we even got home plus 2 reminders.

Jess, You took me the wrong way. It pains me that someone paying good money did not enjoy a trip and I believe the staff would have done anything in their power to help solve your issue. Not sure why you did not get a survey...I had it in my in box before we even got home plus 2 reminders.

I actually just sent an email to NCL guest relations with my complaint of the odor as well as asking why we did not receive a post cruise survey. We DID have a spectacular trip but the smell really stunk!

• 1 month later...

JessLCH could you please give additional info about the land tour. We are considering one next June but have found little info about the NCL land portion. What other activities were available in Alyeska besides the ones included in your land package? Any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

JessLCH could you please give additional info about the land tour. We are considering one next June but have found little info about the NCL land portion. What other activities were available in Alyeska besides the ones included in your land package? Any additional details would be greatly appreciated.

The land tour was run by Premiere Alaska Tours and was excellent. They seem to also run the Celebrity and RCCL tours. If you read through this entire thread I do answer some questions about it posted by another poster. I honestly cannot recall the tour options in Alyeska as we spent our day there enjoying the beautiful resort and the tram. (I think it was also rainy that day.)

• 2 years later...