Need help w beverage plans & packages - are they worth the $$$

This should help: http://www.shipcruise.org/royal-caribbean-alcohol-policy-drink-prices/ I found our folio from Jewel last year. On one of the sea days, I had a Bloody Mary and Long Island and a Stella at the pool. Then, I had a martini and a glass of wine with dinner, followed by a bourbon after dinner. There were a few more drinks throughout the evening. I penciled in the $ had I had the highest dollar premiums allowed under the premium package. If I did the math right, it would have cost me almost $85 before tips. AND, I typically have done the case of bottled water. No need with the package as bottled water is included. I may not drink like that every day (but, I might), but it still seems like a no brainer at $55 per/day. My wife and I are going to do the package in April. I would guess she'll come up a bit short, but I'll come out ahead. PLUS, it will be fun for the both of us to try all kinds of different drinks.

I think the drink package is a good idea if you think you'll drink enough. I don't do it because as D+ we have free happy hour and that equates to 2 or 3 drinks per person already paid for. We like to buy the Wine Package partly so we don't have to keep trying to get glasses of wine in the MDR. Plus the time on shore we don't buy drinks. But I am 62 and to be honest, just don't drink as much. I look at my bar bill and we are normally a couple of hundred dollars below the drink package price, and that includes the cost of the wine package. But if I didn't have the happy hour, I'd likely try it and see. Even if you fall a little short, the convenience and lack of worrying about final cost would certainly add to it's value. But really only you can decide if you'll likely drink enough. By the way, I'm sure you know this, but they changed the rules and both people in the cabin do not have to purchase the package.

All of those spirits are included in the Premium plan. The only difference between the Premium and Ultimate is that the Ultimate includes shakes, premium coffee, premium teas (regular coffee and hot tea is free. Starbuck is not included in any package), and fresh squeezed OJ. I like shakes and OJ, but I figured for the extra $10 a day, I wouldn't get my extra $10 in those drinks. If I wanted one, I would just pay for it extra. I didn't end up drinking either.

FWIW, the premium plan worked very well for us and we tried a lot of drinks I wouldn't have otherwise "risked" not liking. It was great all the way around.

My boyfriend drank primarily Stoli Elite, Stoli, and Basil Hayden's. He also drank Jager :eek:. I drank wine (there were plenty choices under $12), frozen foo foo drinks, beer, and the occasional Patron Margarita with Grand Marnier. I drank a lot of other stuff too, but not regularly (like the frozen mojitos. Tasty). My dad was primarily a Jameson on the rocks guy. He would get wine or a bahama mama here and there to break it up. Those are a few examples :)

I like very premium drinks, chivas, tanguary, Bacardi dark, etc.... Very little beer or wine, like bottled water, juices , Frzn drinks--- how to decide what's best plan for me??

Welcome any feedback!

Thnx

Premium package...

All of those spirits are included in the Premium plan. The only difference between the Premium and Ultimate is that the Ultimate includes shakes, premium coffee, premium teas (regular coffee and hot tea is free. Starbuck is not included in any package), and fresh squeezed OJ. I like shakes and OJ, but I figured for the extra $10 a day, I wouldn't get my extra $10 in those drinks. If I wanted one, I would just pay for it extra. I didn't end up drinking either.

FWIW, the premium plan worked very well for us and we tried a lot of drinks I wouldn't have otherwise "risked" not liking. It was great all the way around.

My boyfriend drank primarily Stoli Elite, Stoli, and Basil Hayden's. He also drank Jager :eek:. I drank wine (there were plenty choices under $12), frozen foo foo drinks, beer, and the occasional Patron Margarita with Grand Marnier. I drank a lot of other stuff too, but not regularly (like the frozen mojitos. Tasty). My dad was primarily a Jameson on the rocks guy. He would get wine or a bahama mama here and there to break it up. Those are a few examples :)

I have gotten the premium package before and found it well worth the price. I am going to buy the ultimate package in October. What and where do you get the shakes you are talking about? I love shakes.

I have gotten the premium package before and found it well worth the price. I am going to buy the ultimate package in October. What and where do you get the shakes you are talking about? I love shakes.

I never had any...but I assume from the ice cream shop. I don't know if it includes Johnny Rockets or not. I guess i should have asked. I preserved my "shake" calories for Lava Flows instead :)

I like very premium drinks, chivas, tanguary, Bacardi dark, etc.... Very little beer or wine, like bottled water, juices , Frzn drinks--- how to decide what's best plan for me??

Welcome any feedback!

Thnx

The package is totally worth it. I may have had 15 drinks the first night. Just the piece of mind of not running up a huge bill or having to sign every slip.

Really tempted to get the package... I usually hold back on drinking too much because I hate the added cost. But I really love the idea of sitting on the beach and just drinking lots of pina coladas and mudslides :)

If I am on a 7 night cruise does that mean I have to get the package for each night?

Edited by Artemis908

You can get the package any day as long as there are at least 4 days remaining on your cruise. So if your first couple days are port intensive and you don't think you will be drinking as much those days you could wait until day 3 to purchase.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5804

Edited by readytolose

So I'm going to get a drink package but the wife doesn't drink that much. How difficult is it to just get her a couple drinks using my package?

Hmmmmm. First post - check. Alcohol package thread - check. Smuggling/sharing post -check. Let the games begin.

We plan on getting the package on our upcoming cruise. If you are trying to do the math to see if it is worth it you are actually only spending 47$ a day and the other 8 is gratuity. If you bought each drink the 15% is added on. Here the 15% in factored into the 55 $ price. Even lite drinkers will find it worth it. :)

Joni

We plan on getting the package on our upcoming cruise. If you are trying to do the math to see if it is worth it you are actually only spending 47$ a day and the other 8 is gratuity. If you bought each drink the 15% is added on. Here the 15% in factored into the 55 $ price. Even lite drinkers will find it worth it. :)

Joni

Sorry, I call BS to the bolded. Assuming each drink would cost $9 ($7-8 for the drink + tip), you would need to average 7 drinks a day. I don't know many "light drinkers" who would put away 7 drinks a day for an entire cruise... ESPECIALLY if you're doing any port excursions. If you're staying on the ship, maybe.

DW & I are "light" drinkers. I think even on sea days, we might have had 7 drinks combined.

IMO, you need to look at how much you normally drink & how long you'll be on the ship (or private island). Just because it makes sense for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. And just because someone wouldn't get their money's worth doesn't mean no one would.

Sorry, I call BS to the bolded. Assuming each drink would cost $9 ($7-8 for the drink + tip), you would need to average 7 drinks a day. I don't know many "light drinkers" who would put away 7 drinks a day for an entire cruise... ESPECIALLY if you're doing any port excursions. If you're staying on the ship, maybe.

DW & I are "light" drinkers. I think even on sea days, we might have had 7 drinks combined.

IMO, you need to look at how much you normally drink & how long you'll be on the ship (or private island). Just because it makes sense for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. And just because someone wouldn't get their money's worth doesn't mean no one would.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I could drink at least 3 or 4 bottles of water per day, two or three sodas, a glass of wine with dinner, because we're on vacation maybe one with lunch, a baileys after dinner, maybe one drink by the pool, and one for the nightly show. Normally I have a nightly glass of wine but heck, we're on vacation. No one ever said this is for everyone. Just a nice perk for those who want it.

I think its all in how you'd approach it. Here is a sample sea day that I would think fits in the medium to light category if you think about it over a 12+ span (4 drinks and a glass of wine):

Morning

Drink 1: Water, $3.00

Pool Side

Drink 2: Premium Bloody Mary, $8.50

Drink 3: Cerveza-Rita, $8.75

Drink 4: Water, $3.00

Dinner

Drink 5: Luxury Martini, $9.50

Drink 6: Glass of Wine, $12.00

After Dinner

Drink 7: Booker's Bourbon (neat in a brandy glass), $8.75

Drink 8: Water, $3.00

TOTAL: $56.50

TOTAL WITH 15% Tip: $64.98

From what I am reading, if you take full advantage of the soda and/or bottled water also included in the package, the Premium package often comes out ahead even with only 3-4 alcoholic drinks per person per day, especially if you lean towards the nicer wines and mixed drinks over beer.

I am actually leaning towards this now, since I am sure for about two nights (soon to be)DW and I could get our money's worth in alcohol alone, but even at 28, I don't think we could keep 7-8 alcoholic drinks/day going for a full week. Factoring in the ability to get soda and bottled water, makes it seem much more reasonable (past cruise we just stuck to iced tea and tap water).