Virtual Balcony - Navigator of the Seas

mrBit

i have reposted some from my other thread but added much more.

the Virtual Balcony. I read some other reviews but from the internet searching i had done for expectations i got what i expected it to be and a little more as I am a programmer by trade and enjoy new tech. It is a floor to ceiling LCD screen with remote to lower volume or turn it off and on. I have a youtube video if you wish to see a video of it in day and night mode and also when it does not work.

You can skip this part if you are not interested in the tech or issues with it.

First as I said it did work but for only a 1 1/2 days then it was nothing but Redhat Linux (operating system) network pushed home screens of the desktop to then dropping the signal all together to the LCD to then awaking to the same Linux desktop.

I was intrigued by it and love tech so I actually got to work with 3 IT guys from RC helping them debug its behavior. They were pleased with the details i gave and showed me how it worked.

First you have several cameras on deck and that is important because the video server sends the correct live image to your stateroom orientation or if it did not do this, you could experience sea sickness. Then it detects night and day mode which will change the CGI balcony rail and floor image to the appropriate light and shadow effect.

The video server to shorten does the appropriate conversion from outside cameras to the network which then pushes over Linux to your node LCD screen which is a little box inside the the bottom of the LCS behind a panel.

I like how RC pushes the edge with stuff like this no matter how corny it may be to some. To me when it worked, it was very useful, if i woke up at night it helped me gauge the time as when i had window or balcony rooms before. For example going to the bathroom at 6:30 yielded beautiful early morning scenes that then i knew the day was about to start vs having nothing but a clock. It was just really nice.

Next, let's talk about the remote, it is a small fit in your palm black remote with on/off button, mute and volume control. You point it at the balcony, our IR unit was at the top but the tech stated it was not right but i am sure whatever the case pointing at the screen will work.

There are curtains just as if you were to have a balcony that you can fully cover the LCD or leave them a little open as there will be light at night from the balcony railing which emits a white color (color of the railing) if you see my video (link above) this may be annoying for some so just FYI, if it is annoying you can turn it off along with the sound. However the curtains block a lot of the light so it may never be an issue.

The location was on the corner/side wall behind the chair a few feet past the foot of the bed which is located opposite of the TV/Desk. To be more specific, if as you walk in the stateroom and if the bathroom is on the right, it would be just past the bathroom on your right using the side wall.

For any other questions, just ask.

You can skip this part if you are not interested in the tech or issues with it.

First as I said it did work but for only a 1 1/2 days then it was nothing but Redhat Linux (operating system) network pushed home screens of the desktop to then dropping the signal all together to the LCD to then awaking to the same Linux desktop.

I'm having trouble following you. Did you mean at one point the RedHat OS was displaying on the virtual balcony?

there will be light at night from the balcony railing which emits a white color (color of the railing)

Image burn in is not nearly the problem with LCD as it is with plasma, but it can still happen. I wonder how long before that white railing is a permanent fixture in more ways than one?

I'm having trouble following you. Did you mean at one point the RedHat OS was displaying on the virtual balcony?

Yes, RedHat Linux desktop was on the screen. We had a Redhat Linux screen most of the cruise going on and off like 3 hours on then 3 hours off.

See my link, i took video of it.

Mr Brit- since you are a tech guy,maybe you can answer this? We had a new LCD TV and someone was over zealous with the wii remote and damaged the screen. There was an area that did not show what was in the screen (like a hole). Did you notice how they can prevent that from happening of someone bumps it with say, luggage or something...eventually, the effect will be lessened of there are all these little damaged spots. And if my new tv did with just 2 kids those screens sure will be damaged with thousands of kids a year.

Also at night don't hear any ocean sounds, was this the period where the sound wasn't working, or you had turned it off? I def heard the beeping trucks in Galveston tho;)

Just curious! Thanks for posting video!

Edited by Familygoboston

Mr Brit- since you are a tech guy,maybe you can answer this? We had a new LCD TV and someone was over zealous with the wii remote and damaged the screen. There was an area that did not show what was in the screen (like a hole). Did you notice how they can prevent that from happening of someone bumps it with say, luggage or something...eventually, the effect will be lessened of there are all these little damaged spots. And if my new tv did with just 2 kids those screens sure will be damaged with thousands of kids a year.

Also at night don't hear any ocean sounds, was this the period where the sound wasn't working, or you had turned it off? I def heard the beeping trucks in Galveston tho;)

Nothing to protect it, if someone damages the screen it will diminish the quality for sure. I did actually test that too :P

The sound stopped working when the video stream stopped.

New future question on CC: Do the VBs have jacks for my Xbox or DVD player? :D

Do ALL interior rooms have the VBs or just certain categories?

Just as clarea stated, not all inside cabins have a Virtual Balcony, RCI's website has a floor plan that does show which category rooms do though.