Whale Watching: Did Juneau in Sept. Icy Strait in July??

roquejo

We did whale watching in Juneau late Sept 2012. Got lucky to have significant and close whale sightings back then..

Now returning to Alaska with stops at Icy Strait this July... my question is..

For those like me who already did whale watching in Juneau, is there a difference if you do it again at Icy Strait?

Like generally, do Icy Strait have higher concentration of whales and they feed more at Icy Strait that in Juneau for me to do it again at ICP?

Or both areas have practically the same chances, so if you did Juneau, you basically have the same probabilities at Icy Strait.

Normally I would do it again at ICP if it is cheap but it is not... for the average price of whale watching at Icy Strait, is equivalent to the price of a combo tour at Juneau that involves Medenhall Glacier and Whale Watching due to Juneau has more competition among the service providers.

Where and what to see is a matter of personal choice when it comes to whale watching and other excursions. For a person like me, I love whales and take every opportunity to see them. For example, we are doing a B2B in June; Juneau and Icy Strait are on the itineraries.

We will be doing two whale watching excursions in EACH port (2 Juneau and 2 Icy Strait) for a total of 4 opportunities. Having been to both ports a few times before, I can tell you that my whale watching experience has been different at each port with a slight edge in Icy Strait for whale breaching (we have been VERY lucky).

My experiences, and those of others, might be very different from what you might experience. My advice to you is to do what you feel most comfortable doing so you don't have any regrets later on.

We have been extremely lucky in Juneau as well, we kinna a jackpot when it comes to weather and wildlife.. we took the photo safari.. and had an unplanned close encounter with 3 bears at Juneau..

then also had a very decent whales encounter afterwards in spite of being late in the season...

Whales getting close in the ship.. even breaching.. yup.. lucky to have all that...the only thing I missed and want to see is bubble feedings..

and I know that only luck can make this possible..