NCL Getaway - April 12-19 trip pics

TheSeaDragon

Hi everyone!

First time poster and first time cruiser. My wife and I went on our first cruise on April 12th. We chose NCL for our first cruise and we have a WONDERFUL vacation. Definitely will cruise again based on our experience.

Here are some initial photos from our trip. I'll post more soon.

Here is a shot of what I was greeted with when I opened our balcony door one morning. We were approaching the island of St. Maarten just after sunrise...

Sunrise.jpg

————————

Okay, so here are some initial photo highlights from our trip.

First a shot of Miami before we departed.

Miami.jpg

The pilot boat coming to retrieve the pilot after we navigated out of Miami.

Pilot.jpg

The first sunset.

Sunset.jpg

The endless ocean. Made me realize how small we really are.

Trails.jpg

MoreOcean.jpg

Thanks for the great pics! I'll be on her soon. It'll be my first time on a big ship! I've been on the Spirit and Sun with NCL and when I was 12, I went on the Carnival Sensation (which of course was huge when I was 12). I'm interested to see how much I will like being on a ship with 4000 people. lol

I am blown away by your photos. The colors are incredible. Could you share what type of camera you used? I think the harbor shot of St Thomas is my absolute fav. Maho Beach is a close second though.

Wow, just wow.

Thanks for your replies everyone! I have quite a few more photos to share from our amazing cruise on the Getaway.

Here is our nice cabin. I'm really glad we went with the balcony since I ended up sitting out on it quite a bit on our days at sea. It was the perfect cabin for the 2 of us.

2014-04-12-1679.jpg

2014-04-12-1685.jpg

2014-04-12-1822.jpg

2014-04-12-1824.jpg

2014-04-13-1953.jpg

The wonderful balcony view. Couldn't get enough of this.

Balcony.jpg

We also took the behind the scenes tour which was excellent. This was a 2.5 hour tour of the crew areas of the ship. We visited the galleys, laundry, environmental and the bridge.

A typical hallway in the crew area.

2014-04-14-1999.jpg

The butcher shop.

2014-04-14-2001.jpg

The freezer.

2014-04-14-1989.jpg

This is one of those sea doors on the sides of the ship that they can open to allow access to the ship.

2014-04-14-2005.jpg

And this is a bulkhead door. These are always closed when the ship in underway and you must obtain permission from the bridge to open one. They are hydraulic and nothing stops them from opening or closing.

2014-04-14-1993.jpg

The laundry area. Lots of huge washer machines.

2014-04-14-2017.jpg

Now for some pics of the places we visited...

Fist port was St. Maarten. I absolutely had to visit Maho Beach as I'm a huge aircraft fan and have watched countless videos about this beach. It was VERY crowded since there were a few cruise ships in town and it's a popular destination for tourists.

The flight schedule for the day. The main attraction is the daily KLM 747 arrival.

2014-04-15-2178.jpg

The crowds...

2014-04-15-2182.jpg

2014-04-15-2188.jpg

2014-04-15-2194.jpg

Maho.jpg

2014-04-15-2212.jpg

In Nassau, we signed up for the Blue Lagoon Beach Break excursion. It was a small private island with lots to do...

2014-04-18-2683.jpg

Some shots of our ship as we prepared to board for the final time in Nassau.

2014-04-18-2722.jpg

2014-04-18-2724.jpg

Edited by TheSeaDragon

Thanks for the great pics! I'll be on her soon. It'll be my first time on a big ship! I've been on the Spirit and Sun with NCL and when I was 12, I went on the Carnival Sensation (which of course was huge when I was 12). I'm interested to see how much I will like being on a ship with 4000 people. lol

The only time we really noticed how many people were really onboard was during the muster drill on day one. Once that was over, people spread out and crowds were never a problem.