? for wheelchair/scooter users on med cruises

Hi has anyone tried getting about any of these ports to see the sites using a scooter or wheelchair

Cannes, Florence, Rome, Athens, Santorina, Amalfi (pompeii).

I have just found out that I could hire a scooter so save my DH having to push me about in the heat of August. Can any confirm if trying to use a scooter in the sites at the above places is doable - and for that matter how easy is it using a wheelchair. I have used a scooter at Disney during full park days so have some experience of using in crowds without killing anyone

Getting on and off the ship at ports- can scooters just join the normal lines or do they have to wait until the masses have gone.

How do the tenders work for a scooter (ie at Santorini)

Thanks for any advice.

Hi has anyone tried getting about any of these ports to see the sites using a scooter or wheelchair

Cannes, Florence, Rome, Athens, Santorina, Amalfi (pompeii).

I have just found out that I could hire a scooter so save my DH having to push me about in the heat of August. Can any confirm if trying to use a scooter in the sites at the above places is doable - and for that matter how easy is it using a wheelchair. I have used a scooter at Disney during full park days so have some experience of using in crowds without killing anyone

Getting on and off the ship at ports- can scooters just join the normal lines or do they have to wait until the masses have gone.

How do the tenders work for a scooter (ie at Santorini)

Thanks for any advice.

Well first let me say I´m not a wheelchair/scooter user and thus have not really paid Attention to what might be available for These.

However I have been to all those places.

In Santorini you will have to get on and off the tender which should be possible, it is likely possible to get up to the town with the cable car, but up in Santorini we are talking about uneven, narrow, cobblestone streets going up and downhill with steps in between.

Pompejii: We are talking about an excavation site here with very uneven surface, cobblestone at best, climbing over Stones / rocks, etc.

Not sure how that would work with a scooter.

The bigger cities shouldn´t be a problem, though I doubt you could to the Acropolis in Athens.

Oh yeah Keep in mind that Athens, Rome and Florence are quite a distance from the port, so you Need Transportation. Oh and Cannes is a tender port as well.

As I advised you yesterday on a different post, you are better served to by asking your questions regarding cruising with a mobility scooter on the disabled forum. Again here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Santorini and Cannes are tendered ports so you will most likely not be able to board the tender with a mobility scooter. RCCL's policy regarding tendering with a mobility scooter is posted on it's website. Here's the link. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=getting_on_and_off_the_ship Additionally Santorini is extremely challenging if not impossible by wheelchair and or mobility scooter due to the fact that the main access is all via steps.

For the other ports there will be areas of challenge but most importantly you'll have to try to locate and book private tours as the excursion buses will not have accessible lifts to accommodate a mobility scooter.

You will be able to find more information regarding all ports by posting your questions on CC's disabled forum as well as doing a port search on the same forum as much has already been posted about all these port.

Getting on/off ship with scooter you just get in line. However it's much easier if you wait to the lines have gone down.

Edited by xxoocruiser