Any cheaper parking options in NYC?

barbaraanne

Unfortunately probably not unless you park in New Jersey and get transportation over to the pier. I've read some creative ways to save money on parking on here. Hope you find something you like.

the least expensive way is to park in Port Imperial and then walk to the pier(about a half mile or so) ,,

http://www.nywaterway.com/indoorparkinggarage.aspx

check with them and make sure they still allow overnight parking for 9 days.

also if its bad weather you really may be better off at the pier.

there are some parking lots that offer a small savings in the area...but.

https://www.google.com/search?q=discount+parking+NYC&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

We are taking a 12 day cruise on the Breakaway in February...looking for a decent option other than the $40/day parking at the pier?

Find out if you can park at a metro north station in lower westchester.

New Rochelle has a huge parking facility and since Amtrak makes a stop in new ro they should have a plan for long term parking. Just take metro north ( not Amtrak) into grand central and cab to port.

It will cost$480 to part at the port so even with the inconvenience of my plan you should save money

Also it depends on where you are coming from as to wether or not you should even bother to drive and also how many of you are cruising

If just 2 or 3 public transport might work

For a family of 6 coming from Pittsburgh well then just figure it as a cost if cruising and be happy you don't need to fly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Find out if you can park at a metro north station in lower westchester.

New Rochelle has a huge parking facility and since Amtrak makes a stop in new ro they should have a plan for long term parking. Just take metro north ( not Amtrak) into grand central and cab to port.

It will cost$480 to part at the port so even with the inconvenience of my plan you should save money

Also it depends on where you are coming from as to wether or not you should even bother to drive and also how many of you are cruising

If just 2 or 3 public transport might work

For a family of 6 coming from Pittsburgh well then just figure it as a cost if cruising and be happy you don't need to fly

from the ncl website

parking for 10 days to 30 days is a flat fee of 350.00

Directions to the Port of New York

NAME OF PORT: Manhattan Cruise Terminal

http://www.nycruise.com

NAME / LOCATION OF PIER: 711 12th Avenue

New York, New York 10019

LOST AND FOUND: P&O Ports Security Office

711 12th Avenue

New York, New York 10019

For all other claims, contact Norwegian Cruise Line Corporate

Office, 305-436-4770

TO / FROM AIRPORTS: JFK - 20 miles, 40mins

LGA - 11 miles, 30 mins

EWR - 15 miles, 30 mins

(All travel times depending on traffic conditions)

TRANSPORTATION: Taxis available.

JFK - $45 Flat fare plus tolls and tip

LGA - $30 plus tolls and tip

EWR - $60-80 plus tolls and tip

PARKING: Daily rate (up to 10 hours) for drop offs/visitors - $30.00

Cruise parking - $40.00 per night

Cruises from 10 to 30 nights - $350.00

Price is Subject to Change

Norwegian Cruise Line is not responsible for any damages or losses occasioned from the use of the facilities.

BUS INFORMATION: Call Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-800-327-7030 for pick up/drop off information.

DIRECTIONS: FROM NORTH NY OR NJ WEST: Take the George Washington Bridge to Henry

Hudson Parkway South. Exit at 55th Street and continue to port.

FROM SOUTHERN MANHATTAN OR BROOKLYN: Take Westside Highway (12th

Avenue) North to 55th Street and continue to port. Entrance on 55th Street only.

FROM EASTSIDE MANHATTAN OR BROOKLYN: Take the FDR Highway Travel across

town on 42nd Street (Major Street). Turn right onto 10th Avenue and continue to 55th

Street, make left and go to port.

if you check http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Parking Rates Effective January 01, 2014

Daily Rate: Up to 10 Hours

(For drop offs/visitors) $35.00

Cruise Parking

1 to 10 nights $40.00/per night

Extended Cruise Parking

11 to 30 nights $400.00

Taxes are included in the rates. Payment is due upon arrival into the parking lot. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Not sure why you quoted me but it must have been because I said $480 and not $400. Oops my bad. Lol

Personally I would pay the $400 if i didnt live as close as i do and driving and parking was my only option because the pier is the safest most convenient place to park. No worries at all.

However I only live 30 minutes away by train and on my next 12 day in a few months I am just getting a ride in from a close family member at no charge as there is no way I am paying $400 because I live too close but if I lived further and less convenient the pier is the best ace to park IMHO

Edited by luvtheships

Sorry luvtheships

I entered Your quote by mistake I should have entered post reply

Ncl needs to update their site They have 2013 pricing for NY Parking

No problem

It is very scary though when you realize how expensive longer cruise parking really is The last time we parked there it was $210 for 7 days. We considered metro north but for 5 of us the savings was only about $100 and not worth the hassle as we would still need a cab from home to train and train to port

We are taking a 12 day cruise on the Breakaway in February...looking for a decent option other than the $40/day parking at the pier?

here's another option where are you coming from

From the Ncl website

To/from Manhattan Cruise Terminal, New York

Academy Bus and Yankee Trails World Travel operate motorcoach services for all Norwegian sailings from the Port of New York. For information on availability and to make a reservation, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 800.327.7030.

For guests with disabilities, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at least one week prior to departure (3 weeks prior for Cruise Express Yankee Trails World Travel) if special assistance is required. The motorcoach companies are unable to accommodate special requests without notice.

Guests are allowed to bring one piece of luggage not exceeding 50 pounds plus one carry-on bag. There will be an additional charge for each additional piece of luggage.

Important: Please provide Norwegian Cruise Line a cell phone or day of travel contact number when making your reservation. Please be at the pick-up location 20-30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

Schedule: July 1st, 2013 - September 30th, 2014

Route 1 - Operated by Academy Bus

One Way

Rates Per Person

Braintree, MA Academy Terminal, 35 Roc-Sam Park Dr. 5:30 AM 4:30 PM $55.00

Warwick, RI TF Green Airport, outside arrival terminal, commercial lane 6:30 AM 3:30 PM $55.00

New London, CT Transportation Center, 45 Water St 7:45 AM 2:30 PM $55.00

New Haven, CT Union Station, 50 Union St 8:45 AM 1:30 PM $55.00

Bridgeport, CT 710 Water St. Across the street from Bus Terminal 9:15 AM 12:15 PM $55.00

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal 11:30 PM -12:00 PM

Route 2 - Operated by Academy Bus

One Way

Rates Per Person

Woburn, MA Woburn Logan Express, 100 Atlantic Ave 5:00 AM 5:00 PM $55.00 Framingham, MA Framingham Logan Express, I Worcester Rd 5:45 AM 4:10 PM $55.00

Worcester, MA Union Station, 2 Washington Sq 6:45 AM 3:30 PM $55.00

Springfield, MA Amtrak Station, 66 Lyman St 7:30 AM 2:30 PM $55.00

Hartford, CT Union Place Station, Asylum St - Across from Amtrak 8:30 AM 2:00 PM $55.00

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal 11:30 PM -12:00 PM

Route 3 - Operated by Yankee Trails Cruise Express One Way

Rates Per Person

Rensselaer, NY Yankee Trails Rensselaer 7:00 AM 3:45 PM $45.00

Castskill, NY Catskill Commons Walmart 7:45 AM 3:00 PM $45.00

Kingston, NY Kingston Plaza, 151 Plaza Drive 8:05 AM 2:00 PM $45.00

New Paltz, NY New Paltz, Exit 18 Park & Ride 8:35 AM 1:30 PM $45.00

Newburgh, NY Wal-Mart Garden Center 9:05 AM 1:00 PM $45.00

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal 10:30AM - 11:30AM

Schedule: Starting May 1st, 2014

Route 1 - Operated by Academy Bus*

Round-trip rates per guest

Warwick, RI TF Green Airport, outside arrival terminal 7:45 AM 2:45 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

New London, CT 45 Water St, across from parking garage just past Transportation Center 9:00 AM 1:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

New Haven, CT Union Station, 50 Union Ave 10:00 AM 12:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Bridgeport, CT Bridgeport, CT 10:30 AM 12:00 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

12:30 PM / Departure Time from Manhattan Cruise Terminal: 10:00 AM

Route 2 - Operated by Academy Bus*

Braintree, MA Academy, 35 RocSam Park Road 6:45 AM 3:45 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Worcester, MA Union Station, 2 Washington Sq 7:45 AM 2:45 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Springfield, MA Amtrak Station, 66 Lyman St 9:00 AM 1:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Hartford, CT Union Place Station, Asylum St - Across from back of station 10:00 AM 12:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Route 3 - Operated by Academy Bus*

Salem, NH Exit 2 Park & Ride, off Rt. 93 (Fairmont Road) 6:30 AM 4:00 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Woburn, MA 100 Atlantic Ave., Logan Express 7:15 AM 3:15 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Framingham, MA Worcester Rd., Logan Express 8:00 AM 2:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

12:30 PM / Departure Time from Manhattan Cruise Terminal: 10:00 AM Route 4 - Operated by Academy Bus*

Arlington, VA S. Hayes St., outside Pentagon City Mall, in front of Macy’s 6:00 AM 4:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Baltimore, MD Travel Plaza, O’Donnell St. & I95 8:00 AM 2:30 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Wilmington, DE Outside Bus Terminal, 101 North French Street 9:30 AM 1:00 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Philadelphia, PA Park & Ride Woodhaven Rd, Cornwells Heights Station 10:15 AM 12:15 PM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

East Brunswick, NJ Exit 9 off NJ Tnpk, out front of parking garage, NJ transit bus stop 11:30 AM 11:00 AM $110 Adult / $75 Child under 18

Route 5 - Operated by Cruise Express Yankee Trails World Travel

Rensselaer, NY Yankee Trails Rensselaer, 569 Third Ave. Ext. 7:00 AM 3:45 PM $90

Castskill, NY Catskill Commons Walmart Tire Center 7:45 AM 3:00 PM $90

Kingston, NY Kingston Plaza, 151 Plaza Road 8:05 AM 2:00 PM $90

New Paltz, NY New Paltz, Exit 18 Park & Ride Lot 8:35 AM 1:30 PM $90

Newburgh, NY Wal-Mart Garden Center, 1201 Rt. 300S 9:05 AM 1:00 PM $90

10:30 AM - 11:30 AM

Estimated Departure Time from Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

10:30-11:30 AM

*Effective May 3, 2014 for all Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem sailings. †Effective May 31, 2014 for all Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem sailings. Routes 1-4 are not offered on 1- and 2-night sailings from New York.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

We're staying at a Residence Inn in NJ and then taking Dial 7 car service. Parking at the hotel is free as long as you stay at least one night.

Wow, thanks everyone!

I should have stated that we are from upstate NY (Utica) and have a 4-5 hour drive to the city and/or train ride. We have never taken the train, so we aren't familiar with how to do it.

The Hotel/parking option seems good to me, but the cruise is 12 days...wonder if that would be a problem?

I thought I saw somewhere that there was a nearby parking that charged $28/day and had valet service to the pier. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, thanks for letting me know that $400 is the most we will pay at the pier...that is good to know!

Thanks all, and any more help you can give me would be great!

Ok so now that's another wrinkle being its February and you are coming from Utica.

If I were you I would be coming in the day before the cruise and getting a hotel

So free hotel parking is what you are looking for probably in jersey and then a car service to the port.

Or better yet I would do public transportation into NYC and stay in the city and cab it to the port. Amtrak? However I would still do it a day early and depending on the forecast maybe 2 days early

The price of port or any parking is moot now since it is February but the beauty of it is you can carefully watch the weather and might still be possible to leave home at 4 am and park at the port or you can have a hotel ressie that you can utilize or cancel if need be.

Do buy a travel policy that will cover you in case of a car related delay on the way to the port. A flat could be as devastating as a 10 mile backup due to an accident.

You don't say how many of you are cruising so that of course needs to be factored in

My 2 dds and I are cruising in January and even though we are only 30 minutes north we even have plan b at the ready.

If dh can't drive us due to weather we are doing metro north and cab or subway( then walking) to port

Going home I fully plan to utilize my feet to the subway to metro north to home because the cab line will be tremendous and having dh drive in at 9 am on a Friday morning seems like madness

Oh and we always only travel with a 21 inch roll on and tote/ back pack that will attach to the roll on

Regardless of what you choose to do I would be within quick driving distance on the morning of the cruise be it a jersey or NYC hotel

Edited by luvtheships

If you want to be a complete penny-pincher, and have some time to spare, try this.

Drop everyone off at the port, pretty early. Drive over to Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, and you can park on the street for free. Tons of parking and no street cleaning. Take the Q train to 47th street and cab to the pier.

I park there all the time when I go on a trip. No tickets and free parking.

If you want to be a complete penny-pincher, and have some time to spare, try this.

Drop everyone off at the port, pretty early. Drive over to Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, and you can park on the street for free. Tons of parking and no street cleaning. Take the Q train to 47th street and cab to the pier.

I park there all the time when I go on a trip. No tickets and free parking.

It's a February cruise. Snow perhaps? Lol

question,

I plan on taking NCL cruise during Christmas, does the parking at the Pier ever get Full? is the lot just for Cruise parking?

The ships always sail full. The difference us will it be 2 or 4 pax per cabin. Chances are it will be 4 but they aren't driving their own cars anyway

Regardless the smart money gets to the parking lot before 10 am always year round

It's a February cruise. Snow perhaps? Lol

Even in noreasters, there is typically a ton of parking out there. You may have to drive few blocks around, but it's there.

Or just leave it anywhere, even if you will get an alternate side cleaning ticket. $45 is not too bad.

LOL plus $185 tow and $20 per day storage. getting a car back from the TOW pound is a hassle.

You beat me to it!! Btw the op is coming in from Utica. I say plan to drive to a hotel near the gwb anywhere from 24 to 48 hours ahead

If need be book a room in jersey and leave the car and get into NYC early as possible maybe even an extra night in NYC if need be

Another poster said they are staying a few blocks from the pier

This would be my plan in February.

Just too chancy any other way.

But that just me. Lol

LOL plus $185 tow and $20 per day storage. getting a car back from the TOW pound is a hassle.

Not to mention digging the car out from a snow mound and then there are all the others cars and people to deal with not to mention what if the car won't start!!

To the op my bottom line suggestion is just come in to NYC via public transport and enjoy a night or 2 pre cruise in NYC

You got an incredible deal on the cruise so why not get half price broadway tix at the tkts booth?

Buy a room thru groupon at a deep discount?

Enjoy the extra time!!!

Edited by luvtheships

Even in noreasters, there is typically a ton of parking out there. You may have to drive few blocks around, but it's there.

Or just leave it anywhere, even if you will get an alternate side cleaning ticket. $45 is not too bad.

I have to think you are joking with us

If not well then your suggestion is scary! Lol

Fwiw some here must actually think you are serious

But nay nay. Not me.