Sydney Canada -- Alexander Graham Bell Museum

I think renting a car is the least expensive way. It is an easy and scenic drive, especially if you combine it with the Highland Village Museum in Iona. There is no need for a guide.

There may be taxis waiting at the dock but I have read they are in short supply and would certainly be expensive. There is no shuttle or bus.

If you can find me on Trip Advisor (Nova Scotia forum), send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you my notes.

If you do a search here back on the Ports of Call - Canada forum you will find many previous posts.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&daddr=Alexander+Graham+Bell+National+Historic+Site,+Chebucto+St,+Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS+to:Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.51123&geocode=FcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg%3BFWF8vwIdARdh_CGgaKDXZTcWmimRaNcULGJdSzGgaKDXZTcWmg%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFRVTvQIdPNpg_CmZziwES11dSzEAyrn5qH_PAw%3BFcgPwAId-nZp_Ck3cZLkLvtnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg&oq=esp&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

museum.gov.ns.ca/hv/en/home/default.aspx

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1211615-great-scots-the-past-comes-to-life-at-highland-village-museum

We visited the Alexander Graham Bell Museum on our own when we were recently in Sydney on our cruise (HAL Veendam). We paid CAD 70.00 for an economy-sized car from Avis and about CAD 13.00 for gas for a day of driving. The Avis shuttle picked us up near "The Big Fiddle" at the dock and took us to their office where we were quickly checked in and given directions and a car. We were probably on the road by 9am.

Because we spent so much time at the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, we didn't have time to stop at the Highland Village Museum in Iona too. But we had a lovely scenic drive around St. Andrew's Channel back to Sydney and enjoyed taking the cable ferry at Little Narrows. We arrived back at the Avis office around 3pm and took the shuttle back to the ship.