Tri-Rail from FLL airport to Miami airport

LUCY55

Flights are so much cheaper to Ft. Lauderdale than to Miami. Has anyone used the commuter Tri-Rail train? If we were coming in the day before, why couldn't we take the train from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Miami airport (about $4.00)? Then catch a hotel shuttle to a local hotel. Then the hotel shuttle to the port the next morning?

that seems to run 17.00 or so per person, you can also rent a private sedan for 60.00 for the car (it wasent much more than the shuttle and it knocked an hour off travel time for stops)

I found the link in the hotel pre & post board

I think the name is tri county airport express...

we leave in 12 hours ! yippieeee!!!

We have used the light-rail in Minneapolis. It is not a hassle at all. Free transfers to buses and you can go anywhere. If you know where you need to go ahead of time--the only hassle would be dealing with your luggage. I was just wondering how good the commuter rail system was in Broward county. Any Floridians know?

I live in FLL and work in Miami airport, so I'm familiar with the Tri-rail.

There is a bus that runs into FLL airport from the train station and also one that goes from the station in Miami right into the airport terminal.

Usually runs on time and has a good schedule. I know it stops running in the evening at a certain time...you'd have to check the Tri-rail website for the schedule.

It's easy and convenient. You can't go wrong.

I did this for my Triumph cruise in April. Up front, I would strongly discourage this unless you are flying in a day early. You board a shuttle at FLL that takes you to the Tri-Rail Station. You buy your ticket there and hop aboard the next Southbound train. It ended up taking like 4 hours because construction workers along the track ended up cutting a power line that controlled the crossing gates so we were delayed. But when the system runs efficiently it is smooth. I would recommend using this if you are flying in a day early.

Brian

Actually, the Tri-rail goes right to downtown Miami. I have to look at hotels--because I understand some of them are pretty bad and in undesirable areas. But I don't know why we couldn't take the Tri-rail downtown and get by walking, taxi and or bus to a decent downtown hotel that has a shuttle to the port the next morning. Some of the hotels appear to be very close to the Tri-rail or metro-rail stops. When we disembark--we could catch a taxi to the appropriate Tri-rail stop in Miami and board there for the return to FLL airport.

Actually, the Tri-rail goes right to downtown Miami. I have to look at hotels--because I understand some of them are pretty bad and in undesirable areas. But I don't know why we couldn't take the Tri-rail downtown and get by walking, taxi and or bus to a decent downtown hotel that has a shuttle to the port the next morning. Some of the hotels appear to be very close to the Tri-rail or metro-rail stops. When we disembark--we could catch a taxi to the appropriate Tri-rail stop in Miami and board there for the return to FLL airport.

The Tri-Rail (Train) Does NOT go into downtown Miami. The Metro-rail (Small People Mover) does. They are two different methods of transportation.

I would look at the schedule first and the station locations. Hauling a cruise-worth of lugguage onto a bus, then a train, then another bus, for a trip that will take you a while seems questionable at best. Weekends the train is every 2 hours so you might want to print a schedule.

For $17 you can do a rideshare instead. Just find the tri-county limo/rideshare desk outside, tell them where you want to go, they'll match you up with some other people (wait is guaranteed to be no more than 1/2 hour) and they drop you at the door of your hotel. You could end up on a milk run (stop and picking people off) or you could be the last person picked up and first off. Either way it's less hassel than the train. I love this service, I've used it a lot! It sometimes takes a while to get to Miami but at least I'm lugging my bags around.

http://www.floridalimo.com/Pages/sharedr.html

I just wish more airports had similar services!

For $17 you can do a rideshare instead. Just find the rideshare desk outside, tell them where you want to go, they'll match you up with some other people (wait is guaranteed to be no more than 1/2 hour) and they drop you at the door of your hotel. You could end up on a milk run (stop and picking people off) or you could be the last person picked up and first off. Either way it's less hassel than the train. I love this service, I've used it alot! Make super-shuttle at MIA look like a rip-off.

I would look into taking a shuttle or renting a car.

http://www.tri-rail.com

The train only works so many hours a day.. if you have a connection that works out for you - great. You leave the airport-- take a bus to get to the train. (carrying your luggage) You might have to wait a few hours until the next rain comes along.

THe train does not take you to the airport.. but close by-- you still will need to take a taxi- (unless your hotel picks you up at the train station)

Time is worth money. If your flights into FLL dont save you at leave 100pp then it is not worth it to fly there.

Thanks, guys, for all the information. Maybe it is not such a good idea. I shouldn't think it is like the light-rail in Minneapolis--which is wonderful. The trains run every few minutes and you can get anywhere quite easily with a bus transfer. I wasn't that worried about lugging the luggage--like to travel on the lighter side. I see that the train does leave FLL every hour and you can transfer to the metrorail at one of the stations.

http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/sb_sched_new.htm

Thanks, guys, for all the information. Maybe it is not such a good idea. Maybe I shouldn't think it is like the light-rail in Minneapolis--which is wonderful. The trains run every few minutes and you can get anywhere quite easily with a bus transfer. I wasn't that worried about lugging the luggage--like to travel on the lighter side. Maybe you a wrong about the schedule--it does look like there is a tri-rail train every few minutes according to the following link. There is a station where you can transfer to the metrorail. The goal would be to get as close as possible to our hotel (yet to be determined.)

http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fares/sb_sched_new.htm

I live in Miami and wouldnt use our bus system.

Tri-rail isnt bad but its a hassle.

I wouldnt be caught on a metro-mover after 5 PM in downtown Miami :eek:

Try to look for another way to get from FLL to your hotel.

Archived