gluten free on dawn ??

sullyd

Our C.C. friend asked the Bar manager @ the M&G if they had Gluten free beer .

He got on phone and confirmed one case was put aside just for her and she could tell any server anywhere to call him directly and he would make sure she got what she wanted . :D

I was impressed . :)

I've sailed GF on the Dawn. It was fantastic. We ate all our meals in restaurants, not at the buffet (more on that later). My daughters also eat GF, and the staff went out of their way to make sure they got all their favorites (mac n cheese, pizza, muffins, waffles, french toast, pancakes, cookies, etc.).

Contact accessdesk@ncl.com and ask them to send you the form to fill out. That way they'll know to stock enough GF food on your sailing, plus your name will be given to the special diets coordinator ahead of time.

When you board the ship, it's a good idea to eat lunch in whichever main dining room is open for that meal. The staff should be able to help you wing it for that first meal, and while there, ask to speak to the special diets person so you can get your first dinner order placed. If unable to get in touch during lunch, try later in the afternoon. (Ask at reception if you haven't yet received the special diets phone extension.) After that it should go relatively smoothly.

The special diets coordinator tracked me down each and every night at dinner, and we'd spend a few minutes discussing what I'd be eating for all meals the next day. Be specific when placing your order; if you want GF bread, be sure to ask for it. They have a dedicated food prep area for allergies in the kitchen, and most of the food you order in restaurants will be prepped there. Sometimes I ended up waiting a bit longer for my food, but on my sailing it was no big deal. Waiting 5 minutes is nothing compared to getting glutened!

Specialty restaurants were easy too. At Moderno I was given a briefing regarding what I could and couldn't eat, both the meats and the salad bar. I could eat almost everything there, though they did discourage me from eating some of the cured meats and sausage, because they didn't have complete ingredient info available. The cheese bread at Moderno was GF (traditionally made with tapioca flour).

At Teppanyaki, my fried rice was made before the soy sauce was added and my meat was cooked separately from everyone else's. I wished I'd brought tamari on board, because they didn't have any on the ship.

Cagney's was easy, as was Le Bistro. I didn't try the other specialty restaurants.

Buffet eating is trickier when you're GF, because they worry that even the GF dishes might have cross-contamination. Also, you can't get scrambled eggs or omelets unless you ask for them to be made from fresh eggs. (There's gluten in their egg mix.) But I know they'll do their best to make it work if you prefer to eat at the buffet.

Hope that helps!

Edited by jplain

I've sailed GF on the Dawn. It was fantastic. We ate all our meals in restaurants, not at the buffet (more on that later). My daughters also eat GF, and the staff went out of their way to make sure they got all their favorites (mac n cheese, pizza, muffins, waffles, french toast, pancakes, cookies, etc.).

Contact accessdesk@ncl.com and ask them to send you the form to fill out. That way they'll know to stock enough GF food on your sailing, plus your name will be given to the special diets coordinator ahead of time.

When you board the ship, it's a good idea to eat lunch in whichever main dining room is open for that meal. The staff should be able to help you wing it for that first meal, and while there, ask to speak to the special diets person so you can get your first dinner order placed. If unable to get in touch during lunch, try later in the afternoon. (Ask at reception if you haven't yet received the special diets phone extension.) After that it should go relatively smoothly.

The special diets coordinator tracked me down each and every night at dinner, and we'd spend a few minutes discussing what I'd be eating for all meals the next day. Be specific when placing your order; if you want GF bread, be sure to ask for it. They have a dedicated food prep area for allergies in the kitchen, and most of the food you order in restaurants will be prepped there. Sometimes I ended up waiting a bit longer for my food, but on my sailing it was no big deal. Waiting 5 minutes is nothing compared to getting glutened!

Specialty restaurants were easy too. At Moderno I was given a briefing regarding what I could and couldn't eat, both the meats and the salad bar. I could eat almost everything there, though they did discourage me from eating some of the cured meats and sausage, because they didn't have complete ingredient info available. The cheese bread at Moderno was GF (traditionally made with tapioca flour).

At Teppanyaki, my fried rice was made before the soy sauce was added and my meat was cooked separately from everyone else's. I wished I'd brought tamari on board, because they didn't have any on the ship.

Cagney's was easy, as was Le Bistro. I didn't try the other specialty restaurants.

Buffet eating is trickier when you're GF, because they worry that even the GF dishes might have cross-contamination. Also, you can't get scrambled eggs or omelets unless you ask for them to be made from fresh eggs. (There's gluten in their egg mix.) But I know they'll do their best to make it work if you prefer to eat at the buffet.

Hope that helps!

thanks for your help

JPLAIN, thank you for the detailed report within this thread.[emoji4] I have been reading older threads on others NCL GF experiences, too. DH is Celiac's and very hesitant to do a cruise.

The cheese bread sounds fantastic! And your heads up on scrambled eggs a huge thank you. [emoji253]

For those unfamiliar with Celiac's or Cron's disease, here's a hint...

So many people don't understand something like cross-contamination. That serving spoon they're using in the macaroni salad is fine for the potato salad (in their minds). Soy sauce is soy sauce... until one reads the label and sees wheat in it, too.

Being glutened can cause such extreme gastrointestinal reaction. Enough for a MO to quarantine and recommend evac. A reaction can present as flu-like symptoms among other viral & bacterial cooties. It can even present as congestive heart disease to an inexperienced MO... another evac scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPLAIN, thank you for the detailed report within this thread.[emoji4] I have been reading older threads on others NCL GF experiences, too. DH is Celiac's and very hesitant to do a cruise.

My dad is celiac. Joined us on an Alaskan cruise on the Pearl with no problems. The staff took great care of him no matter where we ate. Eating on the ships was a lot safer than some land based restaurants for him.

My children are both GF, and we had no issues on the Gem several years ago. We're sailing on the Dawn next week, so we've already contacted the access desk and made arrangements.

One thing that I did want to point out is that because they make the GF things separately, it can take longer. As we were in a suite, eating breakfast and lunch at Cagneys, we were given a special number for the kitchen to advise them when we were leaving our cabin so that they could begin the GF preparation for the kids' meals (especially for things like GF pasta which takes time to prepare). By calling ahead, we could all be served at the same time.

I don't know if they still do that or if they only offer that for suite guests, but it's worth a try.

The one thing I did not see mention but is very important. Do not wait to contact the help desk to let them know about your allergy. You want to notify them as soon as possible so they can properly order the required stuff ahead of time. We notified them about 3 months out. The first time it was only a couple of weeks and some of the things weren't as readily available (but that was in like 2011).