Westerdam Aft Suites 7142 & 7151

richarduk

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding photos that show how small/large the overhang is above the balconies of these suites on Westerdam. I have photos of other ships but not much for this one.

We have preferred to book the corner 5190 5190 staterooms because of the privacy they offer, so am wondering if 7142 & 7151 provide enough of an overhang.

Any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding photos that show how small/large the overhang is above the balconies of these suites on Westerdam. I have photos of other ships but not much for this one.

We have preferred to book the corner 5190 5190 staterooms because of the privacy they offer, so am wondering if 7142 & 7151 provide enough of an overhang.

Thanks.

Deck 5 verandas are the biggies. Deck 7 will not be as large but still nice. When they added cabins aft on the Vista class ships somewhat squaring the aft profile, they started on Deck 6 creating the huge overhang on the Deck 5 aft wraps. My wife said about ours, "It's like having your own yacht", so I know what you mean about "enjoying the privacy". We'll be in 5190 on the Oo'dam as of Monday.

Hello,

Thanks.

Is there a reason you would prefer 7xxx over 5xxx? Just curious. We have 5190 booked in March.

Edited by RocketMan275

Is there a reason you would prefer 7xxx over 5xxx? Just curious. We have 5190 booked in March.

I can't answer for Richarduk, but I can say that we've had 7142 on Westerdam and liked it. Booked it again for our Oosterdam cruise. Balcony is smaller than the ones on 5, but still plenty big enough for us. I also like that it's the same deck as the Neptune Lounge. A long walk, but no stairs. Most of the time, we could find a sunny spot or shady spot, depending on our wishes.

We had an aft corner on deck 8 on Zuiderdam and it was fine. I was a bit concerned about the potential for noise from the open deck above, but it wasn't an issue for us.

I can't answer for Richarduk, but I can say that we've had 7142 on Westerdam and liked it. Booked it again for our Oosterdam cruise. Balcony is smaller than the ones on 5, but still plenty big enough for us. I also like that it's the same deck as the Neptune Lounge. A long walk, but no stairs. Most of the time, we could find a sunny spot or shady spot, depending on our wishes.

We had an aft corner on deck 8 on Zuiderdam and it was fine. I was a bit concerned about the potential for noise from the open deck above, but it wasn't an issue for us.

Thanks for answering. If the only issue is the distance to the Neptune Lounge, then that won't be a big deal for us. We typically walk two or three miles a day when were at home. This is our first cruise on Holland and we appreciate all the information anyone can provide. Not sure how much use we'll make of the Neptune Lounge.

Thanks for answering. If the only issue is the distance to the Neptune Lounge, then that won't be a big deal for us. We typically walk two or three miles a day when were at home. This is our first cruise on Holland and we appreciate all the information anyone can provide. Not sure how much use we'll make of the Neptune Lounge.

DH loves their coffee and makes the pilgrimage several times a day when we're at sea. I'm inclined to collect snacks and take them back to the room, so I appreciate not having to deal with stairs or elevators.

DH loves their coffee and makes the pilgrimage several times a day when we're at sea. I'm inclined to collect snacks and take them back to the room, so I appreciate not having to deal with stairs or elevators.

We'll do deck five this time and if being away from the Neptune Lounge becomes critical, we'll try another deck next time. Probably going to have to experiment a bit anyway since we'll need to try one of the Signature class too (Tamarind).

Experimenting with new things is one of the things we like about cruising.

here's another one I found:

I just noticed your comment about privacy. People on deck 8 and 9 could look down on you but would only see the outer 1/3 maybe of your deck space but it is visible.

Thank you for taking the time to share. Great photos. I have one question, for now!

Was the dining table usable in the evening for dinner, in terms of being windy or not? Thanks.

Edited by richarduk

Yes it is, although when we were going south that corner was windy so I would reposition the table more towards the window/door of the cabin and get it away from that corner. Going North there was no wind in that corner.

Depending on the wind if any you should always be able to find a spot on the balcony that would make for amazing dining. Take a tablecloth though. I got that PRO tip from our fellow CCers.

Cheers :)

Note the orange tray on the table in a couple of the pics. I borrowed it from our cafeteria at work-yes I asked lol- it was extremely handy to use it go to up to the Lido and grab drinks and lunch and goodies as it was 2 decks straight up. It took up minimal space in my suitcase.

Edited by sammygoose
add

Yes it is, although when we were going south that corner was windy so I would reposition the table more towards the window/door of the cabin and get it away from that corner. Going North there was no wind in that corner.

Depending on the wind if any you should always be able to find a spot on the balcony that would make for amazing dining. Take a tablecloth though. I got that PRO tip from our fellow CCers.

Cheers :)

Note the orange tray on the table in a couple of the pics. I borrowed it from our cafeteria at work-yes I asked lol- it was extremely handy to use it go to up to the Lido and grab drinks and lunch and goodies as it was 2 decks straight up. It took up minimal space in my suitcase.

Thanks for two very good bits of useful information.

We were planning on doing both formal nights on our balcony and it's good to know that we shouldn't have any issues. FWIW, we did an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess in an aft balcony cabin and had absolutely no wind issues at all. We were on a balcony near the corner of the ship there too. Someone on another thread compared having dinner on the balcony to dining in the bed of a pickup driving down the interstate.

We've been debating bringing a small tray but were wondering if it would be allowed. Nice to know there are no issues. We just need to find one small enough to fit into our carry-ons.

Question: is the table cloth that necessary? I've mentioned it to the wife and she just doesn't see the necessity.

Edited by RocketMan275

We've been debating bringing a small tray but were wondering if it would be allowed. Nice to know there are no issues. We just need to find one small enough to fit into our carry-ons.

There's a round silver tray under the ice bucket/glasses in your room. It's perfect for taking to the Neptune Lounge. It made it possible for me to come back with two drinks (and snacks), and still be able to open the stateroom door.

There's a round silver tray under the ice bucket/glasses in your room. It's perfect for taking to the Neptune Lounge. It made it possible for me to come back with two drinks (and snacks), and still be able to open the stateroom door.

Wasn't aware you could take drinks and snacks to you room. Good to know.

Do they serve alcohol there? Standard charges?

Edited by RocketMan275

Thanks for two very good bits of useful information.

We were planning on doing both formal nights on our balcony and it's good to know that we shouldn't have any issues. FWIW, we did an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess in an aft balcony cabin and had absolutely no wind issues at all. We were on a balcony near the corner of the ship there too. Someone on another thread compared having dinner on the balcony to dining in the bed of a pickup driving down the interstate.

Question: is the table cloth that necessary? I've mentioned it to the wife and she just doesn't see the necessity.

Hi Rocketman275- no the tablecloth isn't necessary at all. It just adds a nice touch rather than the wood top-ours which had minor scratching and water stains. There was a small floral arrangement in the cabin that you could take out to formal it up a bit.

Go with whatever works for you.

As for the tray- yes the small circular tray under the ice bucket works in a pinch but I thought the space limiting so I brought one from work. Another PRO tip from our fellow CC'ers. No one questioned me or even paid any attention to my tray. Being orange I guess it was obvious that it wasn't ship equipment and they let me be. It was way more efficient to run up two flights of stairs and get what I needed then to go to the Neptune Lounge which was a longer distance but on the same deck.

Again to each their own.

Edited by sammygoose
clarify

Posts on here quite often start interesting Q&A's!!!

As far as a tablecloth goes, we never take one. We always ask for one via room service when we order dinner and have always received one. We then recycle our room service breakfast flowers and put them on the table and cloth for dinner (not to eat, for decoration!). Some posters on here have stated that they have encountered problems obtaining one, but never us.

As far as whether you can get drinks in your stateroom...if that's what you mean...there is so much choice either to book online via HAL's website or just pick up the phone to room service whilst onboard and they will deliver it pretty fast:D

Edited by richarduk

Posts on here quite often start interesting Q&A's!!!

As far as a tablecloth goes, we never take one. We always ask for one via room service when we order dinner and have always received one. We then recycle our room service breakfast flowers and put them on the table and cloth for dinner (not to eat, for decoration!). Some posters on here have stated that they have encountered problems obtaining one, but never us.

As far as whether you can get drinks in your stateroom...if that's what you mean...there is so much choice either to book online via HAL's website or just pick up the phone to room service whilst onboard and they will deliver it pretty fast:D

I should have been more specific. I was asking if alcohol is served in the Neptune Lounge and is there a charge. We were on Oasis in November and they have a suites lounge with complimentary wine/beer most of the day and complimentary bar spirits during dinner hours.

I should have been more specific. I was asking if alcohol is served in the Neptune Lounge and is there a charge. We were on Oasis in November and they have a suites lounge with complimentary wine/beer most of the day and complimentary bar spirits during dinner hours.

No alcohol in NL.

Joanie

Unfortunately not. RCI's diamond perks are way ahead of HAL's suite perks.