West Indies: Reviews of 3 Ship's Excursions

OBX Cruisers

We just returned from a cruise on the Viking Oceans "Star" in the West Indies. We usually arrange our own independent tours, with help from CruiseCritic of course. Here, however, are reviews of the 3 ship's excursions we took in Antigua, Guadeloupe, and St. Thomas. The "Star" is so new to the Caribbean I understand folks are really interested in this info.

“Antigua by Sea & Land” (6 hours)

On a previous trip to Antigua, we had enjoyed a lobster/catamaran experience. This time we wanted to see more of the island. This ship’s tour was a good combination. For the first half of our day, our group of about 30 was divided into two comfortable air-conditioned vans. We lucked out and had a really entertaining guide, actually the most personable of our entire cruise. “Jo”, is a DJ when he’s not leading tours and made our travel time fun. (He also shared his experience in New York City where he was working as a bicycle messenger on 9-11.) The vistas from Shirley’s Heights were gorgeous. We didn’t see the multimedia presentation but instead spent time outside on the overlook with a guide who covered the history. The views from above of English and Falmouth Harbours set the stage for our visit to Nelson’s Dockyard. Short tour there by a park service guide and free rum punch. My husband found a unique t-shirt in the sail shop. It’s on the right – worth a peek to see them still sewing sails. Warning: The rum punch is ridiculously strong! Some folks got one rum punch and one plain punch and mixed them. Just wish we had a little more time to fully explore the historic area.

From that point, it was a very short distance to the beach. Only a few glimpses of the “lush rain forest” as we drove quickly through. When we reached the beach, we said good-bye to “Jo” and were transferred by a rubber dinghy to the catamaran. I hadn’t put my swimsuit on yet and wasn’t prepared to get as wet as we did. (Not complaining, just a “heads up.”) We waded about knee deep into the waves and then sat on the edge of the dinghy and swung our legs over. At the catamaran, it was a bit awkward to climb from the dinghy onto the steps at the back of the boat but lots of help from the crew. (It could be difficult if you are at all mobility impaired.) Then we set sail back to St. John’s, enjoyed a Bajan chicken lunch with salad and other local fixings. Stopped at a reef for those who wanted to snorkel. My husband jumped in, but I thought the water was a little too choppy so just relaxed and enjoyed the rum punch and music. I was impressed they had the dinghy in the water keeping an eye on the snorkelers. Finished with a slow, gentle sail back to St. John’s. (Rain storm over the mountains in the distance made for great photos.) Plenty of room on the cat for everyone either in the shade or up front on the nets. A wonderful day!

Guadeloupe: “Panoramic Tour of the Butterfly Island (5 hours)

We had opted for this included tour as we thought it would give us the best introduction to both sides of Guadeloupe. When we arrived on the “Star”, however, we found that Viking had shortened the tour to just Grand-Terre, the eastern island (3.5 hours). Evidently they had received complaints about the long bus ride necessary to see both sides. At that late notice, we decided to just stay with the included tour though we were disappointed not to see the mountains and waterfalls. We were on a large but very cramped bus. Almost no leg room. (Perhaps the reason for those complaints?) One saving grace was that it did have a back door so we could all get off quickly at the stops. Checkerboard cemetery was very unique and worth a visit. Scenery at Castle Point was spectacular. Be sure to look for the young lady hand-cranking and selling coconut ice cream. A yummy treat! Short time in Saint Francis crafts market rather than Sainte-Anne. Just wish I had realized we weren’t going to stop in Sainte Anne at all and I might have shopped a little more in Saint Francis rather than waiting in the very long line to use the restroom. Very surprised at the “freeways” that allowed us to go quickly across the island. Seemed out of place on a Caribbean island.

St. Thomas: “St. John National Park Catamaran Sail & Snorkel” (4.5 hours)

Long ride in open-air “jitney” over bumpy roads on St. Thomas to board catamaran. Really enjoyed the “sail” and time on Honeymoon Beach on St. John. Transferred to beach via dinghy. (A possible problem for mobility impaired as it was “rocking and rolling” as we climbed into the dinghy from the ship’s ladder.) Beach was beautiful and some spread out towels while others rented beach lounge chairs. Saw snorkelers from this same company, the “St. John Champagne Cat,” but our tour off the “Star” wasn’t provided snorkel gear and we were discouraged from snorkeling with our own masks and snorkels. Catamaran crew didn’t want to discuss the reason. We had been told earlier when we arrived on the “Star” that the tour would no longer include snorkeling. Not sure why but no partial refund offered. Notice that the excursion description on the Viking web site still says “Sail & Snorkel” so you may want to check whether this was only a temporary situation.

Lots of ship's excursions waiting reviews from others. Can add, however, that friends said the included excursions were mostly bus rides which got very monotonous after the second day.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write these reviews. They give a really good over view - and will truly help us in deciding what might be of interest to us in the ports we will visit later this year.

Just curious.....Given the opportunity, would you choose these again, or go off on a private tour?

Would we choose these tours again?

Antigua - Glad we got to see Shirley's Heights and Nelson's Dockyard and really enjoyed our guide in the morning. In hindsight, maybe a bit too much time on catamarans this cruise (as much as I love a cat) and morning at sights a little rushed. Friends purchased a tour through Costco - "Panoramic Antigua." They were with only 2 other couples and got to spend more time at Nelson's Dockyard and beach time in the afternoon at Sandals. Only $62 per person! I've also seen good reviews for Scenic Tours Antigua.

Guadeloupe - I'd go on this tour but lower my expectations. It is a free included tour after all. My research before hand didn't turn up any other interesting options. Our "mutual friends" took a local bus on their own to Sainte Anne. Didn't turn out like they'd hoped.

St. Thomas - Our first time on the island we were with friends who knew how to quickly take a ferry to St. Johns for beach time. That was lovely so we were looking again to go to St. Johns. No snorkel time was a disappointment. Maybe next time we'll just take a leisurely day to shop. Not enough shopping on this cruise.:) We stayed really busy and no sea days to relax.

OBX....thanks again. I am glad I asked! Interesting note about the tour arranged through Costco....I have never thought to do that!

I am still on the fence about St Thomas.....And I also would have wanted to snorkel @ St John if I were to go back there again!

Great information!