New NCL Cruiser on the Breakway . . . UBP, Bermuda, iConcierge, Photo Questions . . .

chenj78

New cruiser on NCL after being a RCI loyalist for quite some time. Leaving in 19-days aboard the Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda. Always appreciative of the CC community for quick and accurate info! Here we go:

1. UBP: What "level" of drinks does the UBP include? I'm a whiskey guy, so does it cover up to Ultimate, Premium, etc.? Is there a monetary limit amount for each drink?

2. Ship to Crystal Caves: We are a group of seven, from ages 5 to 73. Any suggestions on the best way to get the entire group to the Crystal Caves? Cost info as well if available please. A little walking is okay, but not too much since the grandparents are in tow.

3. Photos: Not sure how photo packages work on NCL. If I book a package for one of our rooms, is it safe to assume as long as one person from that room is in the photo, it can be used against the package? Also, are other packages offered onboard? I'm looking for something that includes the digital version so I can print my own photos at a later time. Hopefully something for this years Xmas card. Photos of other options much appreciated.

4. iConcierge App: What is included for free? Is the fee one-time or daily? What is included with the fee?

Many thanks to all in advance!

This post is regarding the photos - please have everyone use the same cabin number when taking photos otherwise they will not let you mix them to come up with the number in the package you purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If anyone in OP's party has Latitude status, be sure to check & ask for/get discount for photos - we've always get our discount, even for photo packages onboard (30% for Platinum, it's nice)

As noted, use one stateroom # when asked - while photos are taken - with any qualifying discount. They are usually available for reviewing, digitally and in the binder within 24 hours - review & go over them, best to finalize and make your purchase selection by next to last sea day, or final morning of last sea day as by the afternoon, it is often a mob scene ... plus, long lines to get checked out for payment.

The USB stick option was priced at $20 extra, it will have digital images of all the ones you've PURCHASED - granting releases & rights for copies post-cruise. Errors do occur sometimes or images not transfered, please be sure to check them before leaving the ship ... on a PC, or use the ones in the Internet Cafe - terminals there have USB port for access to read those files.

Download the free iConcierge App before sailing & install it first. Most of the functions are free - VoIP calling to other registered/activated device users onboard the ship only require a one-time activation fee of $9.95 per device, no further charges for calling or texting onboard, calling to others off the ship is 79 cents a minute. It is NOT necessary nor required to enroll or sign up for the (paid) WiFi plans to use the App, as it only need to connect to ship's WiFi inTRAnet plan.

Starting with this post (part of the recent Gem review, you will find specific screenshots & info about ship WiFi and about the iConcierge App) - specific info about our Breakaway cruise last May to Bermuda can also be found, expand the Signature for link to it. Pictorial links on dropbox might be broken due to a recent change in their public sharing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53043972&postcount=199

(also, post 200 and 201)

Download the free iConcierge App before sailing & install it first. Most of the functions are free - VoIP calling to other registered/activated device users onboard the ship only require a one-time activation fee of $9.95 per device, no further charges for calling or texting onboard, calling to others off the ship is 79 cents a minute. It is NOT necessary nor required to enroll or sign up for the (paid) WiFi plans to use the App, as it only need to connect to ship's WiFi inTRAnet plan. ..

Really - $.79 a minute to call back home? Never knew that. Way better than the normal $2.50 a minute.

If anyone in OP's party has Latitude status, be sure to check & ask for/get discount for photos - we've always get our discount, even for photo packages onboard (30% for Platinum, it's nice)

As noted, use one stateroom # when asked - while photos are taken - with any qualifying discount. They are usually available for reviewing, digitally and in the binder within 24 hours - review & go over them, best to finalize and make your purchase selection by next to last sea day, or final morning of last sea day as by the afternoon, it is often a mob scene ... plus, long lines to get checked out for payment.

The USB stick option was priced at $20 extra, it will have digital images of all the ones you've PURCHASED - granting releases & rights for copies post-cruise. Errors do occur sometimes or images not transfered, please be sure to check them before leaving the ship ... on a PC, or use the ones in the Internet Cafe - terminals there have USB port for access to read those files.

Download the free iConcierge App before sailing & install it first. Most of the functions are free - VoIP calling to other registered/activated device users onboard the ship only require a one-time activation fee of $9.95 per device, no further charges for calling or texting onboard, calling to others off the ship is 79 cents a minute. It is NOT necessary nor required to enroll or sign up for the (paid) WiFi plans to use the App, as it only need to connect to ship's WiFi inTRAnet plan.

Starting with this post (part of the recent Gem review, you will find specific screenshots & info about ship WiFi and about the iConcierge App) - specific info about our Breakaway cruise last May to Bermuda can also be found, expand the Signature for link to it. Pictorial links on dropbox might be broken due to a recent change in their public sharing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53043972&postcount=199

(also, post 200 and 201)

Hmm...I thought you could only "TEXT" onboard to another person who is on board....not "CALL". Am I wrong? I hope I am....because my brother, who is in the cabin next to us, is not a fan of texting so I am anticipating him not checking my text or responding. I hope I can call him.

Hmm...I thought you could only "TEXT" onboard to another person who is on board....not "CALL". Am I wrong? I hope I am....because my brother, who is in the cabin next to us, is not a fan of texting so I am anticipating him not checking my text or responding. I hope I can call him.

Yes, there is a phone symbol on the app. You can call his stateroom or his personal phone (if he has the registered app).

Stay connected onboard with the Norwegian iConcierge App. Make calls to other mobile devices registered to your stateroom, to other guests using Norwegian iConcierge and to important shipboard guest service extensions. You can even place calls to your friends and family back home.

From the FAQ...

5. Can I make calls and send texts to people around the ship?Yes. Phone calls to other Norwegian iConcierge App registered devices, staterooms, and to a variety of shipboard guest service extensions are supported by iPhone and Android phone. Text messages to other Norwegian iConcierge App registered devices are supported by iPhone, iPad and Android phone. Once a package is purchased, an unlimited number of calls and texts can be made to other Norwegian iConcierge registered devices for one flat rate.

PDF - <--- click

Ship to Crystal Caves: We are a group of seven, from ages 5 to 73. Any suggestions on the best way to get the entire group to the Crystal Caves? Cost info as well if available please. A little walking is okay, but not too much since the grandparents are in tow.

We took the free ferry to st george, if you do this take the 9;00am ferry the 11;30 one was a mob scene. We then took a bus to the caves we bought a 3 zone token which cost us 11 dollars for the 2 of us. The bus comes every 15 min or so but gets crowded later in the day. The caves honestly were just ok, a lot of steps for someone who is 73 there was someone that age in the group we were in and he seemed to be having a hard time. I would recommend the crystal caves over the fantasy caves if you only want to do one. We got there kinda of late so there was waiting in between. Also i highly recommend the swizzle inn for lunch, great fish sandwiches for lunch and of course rum swizzles. There is also and ice cream place right there that is also very good.

Most APP features are free to use at no charge, use it to call Guest Services, concierge, or specialty reservation for dining, etc. as these are free.

Ability to call & text other guests onboard with registered/activated devices has been around - current rate for ships might varied. Displayed within the App @ 79 cents a minute billed to stateroom's Onboard Account. Incoming calls from land to that unique VoIP assigned number are at a higher rate.

Quality of the connection, latency and clarity of the VoIP calls, however, is another story - last year on the BA, it was problematic ... hopefully, since improved and better. At 79 cents a minute, worth trying while at sea to call "home" to NY for a quick "hello". If it failed & doesn't work, ask for a credit or refund while onboard.

565dc5453e50edd9cffc9ba8cf7a93cc.jpg

d7e82e90537d15bfe6fc65e2c343e410.jpg

38a86612ee9a798191352df5338e1313.jpg

de58ee9c8cb86ff167b42ecb7b54ee74.jpg

1c688d237baaf1fa5d8c7c84e6ab62f1.jpg

However, if one has "free" WiFi minutes to use from NCL, consider calling "home" or office or someone on a land/mobile line using Skype, Hangouts or FaceTime audio as it would likely yield better or equally good results, especially on devices that support WiFi calling. As aways, YMMV.

New cruiser on NCL after being a RCI loyalist for quite some time. Leaving in 19-days aboard the Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda. Always appreciative of the CC community for quick and accurate info! Here we go:

1. UBP: What "level" of drinks does the UBP include? I'm a whiskey guy, so does it cover up to Ultimate, Premium, etc.? Is there a monetary limit amount for each drink?

2. Ship to Crystal Caves: We are a group of seven, from ages 5 to 73. Any suggestions on the best way to get the entire group to the Crystal Caves? Cost info as well if available please. A little walking is okay, but not too much since the grandparents are in tow.

3. Photos: Not sure how photo packages work on NCL. If I book a package for one of our rooms, is it safe to assume as long as one person from that room is in the photo, it can be used against the package? Also, are other packages offered onboard? I'm looking for something that includes the digital version so I can print my own photos at a later time. Hopefully something for this years Xmas card. Photos of other options much appreciated.

4. iConcierge App: What is included for free? Is the fee one-time or daily? What is included with the fee?

Many thanks to all in advance!

1. The UBP covers all alcoholic beverages up to $15. Anything more than $15, you pay the difference + 18% gratuity. According to the drink menus being floated around, Bulliet seems to be the best whiskey under $15 (if you're a bourbon man like myself), with a number of Irish and Scotches also available within the UBP price, and most of the Premium/Ultra Premium whiskeys being finer scotches (I believe Knob Creek is the only Bourbon more than $15).

3. They have packages that also include digital versions of prints (including on a USB flash drive), but from my memory, they are quite a bit pricier than just buying physical print packages.

4. iConcierge is free if you use it for booking reservations, looking at ship maps, freestyle dailies, menus, checking your on-board account, etc. You pay $10 per device (one time fee) if you want to use the messenger feature on the app.

However, if one has "free" WiFi minutes to use from NCL, consider calling "home" or office or someone on a land/mobile line using Skype, Hangouts or FaceTime audio as it would likely yield better or equally good results, especially on devices that support WiFi calling. As aways, YMMV.

Wow....thank you for all that information. I appreciate it.