Viking River France's Finest - Nice extension from Avignon

Kruise Kat

We are doing Viking River Cruise's - France's Finest in June, 2018. We opted for the Nice Extension at the end of our trip. My question is about the transfer from the ship to our hotel in Nice. Will we be taken directly to the Hotel or will there be stops on the way. My husband and I just finished a Viking Ocean cruise ending in Athens. We booked an extension and I planned our itinerary starting the morning of the transfer thinking they would take us directly to the hotel. NO! It took 4 hours to get to the hotel because they stopped a various museums and such (which we were not interested in) and that kept us from seeing some of the sights we had planned on visiting. Basically, we lost half a day. I do not want that to happen this time. Our time is limited in Nice and I have things scheduled.

• 4 months later...

My guess, having also done their extensions, is that you won't be taken directly to your hotel. Your room probably wouldn't be ready so Viking will have scheduled stops to use the time before they are. Maybe talk to Viking to see if there is an option to transfer directly to your hotel so you can leave your luggage with the desk before setting out on your plans for the day. If they don't offer that option, you could always arrange your own transfer via cab. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time. We have three months to go before doing the same trip. Can't wait to be there!

We did this cruise with both pre and post extensions in 2015. We were taken directly from the ship to the hotel in Nice. The only stop was a rest stop for about half an hour. I think that is required for the driver to have a break. The following morning, we had a half day tour of Nice. Having said that, though, we were there in November, 2015 and the Paris terrorist attacks occurred just as we were on the last days of the first segment. All museums and other significant places were closed (we were supposed to go to Versailles). The half day tour in Nice was mostly a drive by of museums and a walk through the market/old town. The rest of the time, we were on our own, but had the assistance of the Viking host in the hotel lobby, if required.

One other thing, I highly recommend trying to upgrade your room to one with even a partial view (assuming you'll be at the same hotel - Le Meridien). When we were there, Viking had everyone in a room with a view to the inside courtyard and no balcony. I had read about upgrading and inquired about it. We had a lovely large balcony and a partial view of the Med (full view would have been much more costly). We were glad we did because we ate simple meals (bread and cheese) out on the balcony and relaxed. I wouldn't plan too much for post cruise. You could be like us and rather exhausted from the pace of the cruise.

It was a great cruise; we often talk about it. I hope your cruise is as good as ours or even better!

Did the same post cruise in Nice. Walked the old town on our own after the included Viking tour. ate at a couple Rick Steves recommended restaurants.

On our free day, Le Meridien's concierge hired us a guide at very reasonable prices for a full day and we toured Monte Carlo, beautiful Eze, St Paul de Vance and other areas. Reasonable, and well worth it.