Getting from HOU to Galveston and back

Leigh1971

We will be flying into Houston Hobby airport on Friday Feb 24th but our cruise doesn't leave Galveston until Sunday Feb 26th so we thought that we stay in Galveston for a couple of days (we usually do this with all of our cruises-but this is our first time in Galveston-TX too!!). I think that I have enough info from the posts here to make a decision on a hotel to stay at (I know that it is going to cost me an arm and a leg, especially at this late date!) But my biggest problem at this point is how to get from Houston Hobby airport to the hotel we are going to stay at in Galveston. My goal is to either stay at hotel that will shuttle us to the pier for free or take a cab. But I also have the problem of when the cruise is over, how in the world am I going to get from the pier all the way to Houston Hobby airport? Without going broke, of course. This cruise was planned last minute, it was only booked a week ago, the air too. And now I have to get the hotel and other things planned. I read a post where something similar to this was queried, and the response was "rent a car." I hadn't wanted to go that route, but if it is the cheapest, I may have to consider it. We will not be needing a rental car while we are in Galveston, just the to and from is the issue. Thanks for your help!!!

We will be flying into Houston Hobby airport on Friday Feb 24th but our cruise doesn't leave Galveston until Sunday Feb 26th so we thought that we stay in Galveston for a couple of days (we usually do this with all of our cruises-but this is our first time in Galveston-TX too!!). I think that I have enough info from the posts here to make a decision on a hotel to stay at (I know that it is going to cost me an arm and a leg, especially at this late date!) But my biggest problem at this point is how to get from Houston Hobby airport to the hotel we are going to stay at in Galveston. My goal is to either stay at hotel that will shuttle us to the pier for free or take a cab. But I also have the problem of when the cruise is over, how in the world am I going to get from the pier all the way to Houston Hobby airport? Without going broke, of course. This cruise was planned last minute, it was only booked a week ago, the air too. And now I have to get the hotel and other things planned. I read a post where something similar to this was queried, and the response was "rent a car." I hadn't wanted to go that route, but if it is the cheapest, I may have to consider it. We will not be needing a rental car while we are in Galveston, just the to and from is the issue. Thanks for your help!!!

We did a cruise out of Galveston in December, and found that a "one way" car rental was indeed the way to go. Out of Houston hobby, Hertz or Enterprise, provides service. Both companies will take you to the port, and pick you up, before and after your cruise. Shuttles and taxis will add up to more cost than the car rental. In addtion, the convenience of the car will open up more areas of Galveston, which has some interesting areas you can't walk to. NASA is close by as well.

The cost of a rental car will be $50 -- $95 each way, depending on the company and the class of car.

Good luck!

Kel

Have you checked www.galveston.com.. they have galveston limo service 50pp return.. that is an option..

Just be aware that Galveston Limo is not a true Limo service. It's a shuttle van with multiple stops - more like a bus. We just returned from a cruise in January and I agree with the above post. Get a rental car, it is the least expensive and the most versatile. It would have been nice to have transportation once we arrived. We needed medication from a pharmacy, could have ate wherever we wanted and did some sightseeing. We learned from a bad experience (check out my post on Texas Cruise Ship Shuttle). Next time it's a rental car for us.

http://www.galveston.com/ This site has a lot of good information, check their web cams. The rental is a good idea, drop it off the day of the cruise, and pick another up when you return, Hertz and Enterprise are both on the island.

Harbor house is right by the terminals if you want a place with easy walking in the Strand area. Also the Tremont is there but high dollar. Moody Gardens is well worth a visit.

Enjoy Galveston.

I'll bet you were a happy wife if you bought the Tremont for $70, that's fantastic. It was originally an 1800s mercantile store when George Mitchell (oil man) rebuilt it in the early 80s. The Knights of Momus Mardi Gras parade goes by there and that night sells for $500 +.

MsGCurry and I like to happy hour there at times, listening to Omah Galloway play piano in a beautiful tropical atrium. It's only three blocks to the terminals as well.

we used Kays Marine Transportation from Hobby to Galveston. Was Not fancy but clean prompt and plesant.This is a family operation and was a 2 or 3 van operation a year ago. can be reached at 832 265 5049 or Kaystransport@yahoo.com they were prety inexpensive but cant remember the price and its been a year since we used them.Have also used Galveston Limo in the past was OK.

The Tremont is in the historic Strand area of Galveston 1800/early 1900 buildings regulated through the Galveston Historical Foundation. The Strand features good restaurants, shopping and galleries. It is only three to four blocks to the cruise terminals. This is a small unique hotel with first rate service, and beautiful rooms around a tropical atrium.

http://www.galveston.com/thetremonthouse/

Check this site for more information.

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/

Archived