We have 2 days in Vancouver; suggestions?

krewzin

After getting off our ship in mid July, we're staying at the Westin for a couple nights ...and will be looking for some things to do. We wanted to go to Whistler and try whitewater rafting and zip-lining, but it's just too long of a rd trip drive.

Not really into 'sight-seeing' too much...altho we plan on going to Stanley Park and the aquarium before our cruise (we're coming in a day early).

We're looking for some exciting things (we have 2 boys 11 and 13 w/us) to do.

Are there closer places than Whistler to go horseback riding, or zip lining? Any suggestions for Vancouver would be appreciated!

After getting off our ship in mid July, we're staying at the Westin for a couple nights ...and will be looking for some things to do. We wanted to go to Whistler and try whitewater rafting and zip-lining, but it's just too long of a rd trip drive.

Not really into 'sight-seeing' too much...altho we plan on going to Stanley Park and the aquarium before our cruise (we're coming in a day early).

We're looking for some exciting things (we have 2 boys 11 and 13 w/us) to do.

Are there closer places than Whistler to go horseback riding, or zip lining? Any suggestions for Vancouver would be appreciated!

If you have your heart set on Whistler, why not rent a car and spend one of your nights at Whistler--it's not very far and could even be a long day trip?

If not, Vancouver is a very small, bikeable city. With two very young kids (4 and 6 year old), we biked 11 miles from Yaletown to/around Stanley

Park and back. And that included a 3-hour stop at the aquarium!

There's also Capilano Bridge and Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver--both with various outdoorsy things to do. Have fun!

Whistler is only 1 hour and 20 minute drive. Why don't you skip the Westin and stay at Whistler. Plenty of hotels and Condos to rent, plus over a hundred restaurants. YOur boys would love it.

Whistler is only 1 hour and 20 minute drive. Why don't you skip the Westin and stay at Whistler. Plenty of hotels and Condos to rent, plus over a hundred restaurants. YOur boys would love it.
Vancouver residents make day trips to Whistler all the time so it's not a long roundtrip if you really want to go. We added the one overnight so we could spend even more time there.

You might want to check out Cirque du Soleil... Their Verakai show is playing in Vancouver now, and I'm pretty sure it will still be playing when you're there. We're also flying in two days early for our northbound Summit cruise which leaves in about a week and a half. On the Friday night before the cruise, we booked tickets (online http://www.cirquedusoleil.com ) for the 8:00 pm show.

As mentioned previously, both Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge are worth a trip as well...

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Orion1325...funny you mention Cirque and Verakai, I've comntemplated purchasing tickets for the Sunday show. It's just that for 5 of us we'd be spending over $500, and if anything ever happened where we cancelled our trip we'd be stuck w/the tickets.

I might wait until the week prior to our cruise and try purchasing....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Orion1325...funny you mention Cirque and Verakai, I've comntemplated purchasing tickets for the Sunday show. It's just that for 5 of us we'd be spending over $500, and if anything ever happened where we cancelled our trip we'd be stuck w/the tickets.

I might wait until the week prior to our cruise and try purchasing....

I bought the tickets online only a couple of weeks ago, so you should still be able to find good seats even if you wait until the week before your cruise. And remember, the ticket prices quoted on their online site are in Canadian dollars, so you'll actually save a little bit in the conversion. There are 9 of us going (7 adults, 2 children), and I think the total was $700 something -- but we didn't buy the most expensive seats. Having been to a previous Cirque show in their "tent", I don't think there's a bad seat in the house. Good luck!

If I get a chance to post after we see the show, I'll let you know how it is -- but then, it's Cirque -- how could it be bad?!!!

Granville Island is a lot of fun. They have a little water park- not the ride kind but one with a slide and sprinklers that shoot up form the ground. A pretty cool little train museum. It is fun, we were there with our then 7 year old and she had a blast.

Whistler, for us was extremely enjoyable, we did both atv ride and whitewater rafting, the drive is enjoyable on the sea to sky highway with the only caveat being road construction as they are widening the road in preparation of the 2010 olympics. The ride for us was about 2 hours long

Dear Krewzin

I spend the summer enjoying Vancouver with my 2 Grandsons ages 8 & 10 and here are some fun things your kids can enjoy and you too.

A trip to Whistler is well worth it but make it fun for the kids stop off in Britiannia Beach (about 1/3 of the way to Whistler) and enjoy the Mining Museum where they take you underground and actually demonstrate the use of old mining equipment. My Grandsons love going there.

Then in Squamish try 2 things

1) stop off and enjoy the Railway Museum which has lots of real vintage rail cars & engines that the kids can climb on and explore + a miniture train that runs aroudn the park.

2) take a helicopter ride to a glacier - do this in Squamish instead of Alaska and you will spend about half the money required for a helicopter ride + walk on a glacier.

Squamish is about 1/2 way to Whistler.

Once in Whistler there is lots to do. Go up Whistler mountain on the gondola or Blackcomb Mtn on the high speed chair.

Wander around the village enjoying the street entertainment

Rent a bike

Hike etc.

If you want to stay in Vancouver

I would put the following on yoru list.

Capilano Suspension Bridge http://www.capbridge.com

Science World http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca

Storeyum in GAstown - my Grandsons really enjoyed this and I thought they woul be bored.

Vancouver Aquarium & SStanley Park http://www.vanaqua.org

Grouse Mountain - http://www.grousemountain.com

Burnaby Village Museum http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca

And of course if it is nice weather (hot) you can always take the kids to any of Vancouvers many beaches for a swim in the Pacific.

There is lots more but the above is more than you can manage in only 2 days

Hope the above helps

BCHappyGal, the Railway Museum is something I hadn't heard about before, thanks. Didn't know about the cheaper heli/glacier tours either.

We'll probably hit Squamish and not make it the rest of the way to Whistler though....I truly appreciate the advice/tips!!

Whistler, for us was extremely enjoyable, we did both atv ride and whitewater rafting, the drive is enjoyable on the sea to sky highway with the only caveat being road construction as they are widening the road in preparation of the 2010 olympics. The ride for us was about 2 hours long

PTSRULES...where did you do the ATV rentals - at Whistler? My kids would love doing that, but it looks like we're only gonna make it as far as Squamish for whitewater rafting for the day. Is there a site for the ATV tour?

And which whitewater rafting did you do...we've looked at 2: Wedge Rafting at Whistler, and Canadian Outback Adventure at Squamish?

My wife and I had a couple days after a cruise to play around in Vancouver. First thing I would say I have traveled the world and Vancouver is by far one of the greatest cities out there. I would tour Lord Stanley Park. In this park there is so much to see and do. They have great flower gardens, totem poles, horse drawn trolley tours, etc. There is also their version of the space needle. If you are not afraid of heights this is one cool ride and view. The elevator ride to the top is great as the elevator is glass and the views at the top of the needle is great on a clear day. Another great place to check out is Gastown where there is a steam powered street clock. Have fun this again is a great, clean, forward looking city.

Your boys would probably love ScienceWorld. It is in the big silver sphere downtown that had been built for Expo '86. My 2 boys, now 12 and 15 really enjoy it. Lots of hands-on science stuff, shows with great hosts, etc. We live just across the water, and my youngest son still bugs us to go there every single time. We've been to similar venues in Seattle and L.A., and we still prefer the Vancouver one.

If you like amusement parks, there's also Playland with a great roller-coaster (IMO), log-ride and tons of other rides, plus the usual midway, etc. You could probably spend the equivalent $$$ there as you would on gas just getting to and from Whistler.:eek: But like others have said, if you can get to Whistler, it really is something to see.

Karen

Krewzin, actually the white water rafting was done by my kids and husband at Green river with Wedge rafting and the ATV was the one done on Cougar Mountain www.cougarmountain.ca We did one that is called The Rainbow explorer, we booked it through our hotel in Whistler. Hope this helps, either way the area North of Vancouver on Hgwy. 99 is spectacular, you may want to also consider a stop at Shannon Falls and walk the trails.

Archived