It Was the Best of Times...Worst of Times

C 2 C

Was your Celebrity cruise better or worse than others?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Was your Celebrity cruise better or worse than others?

• The Best of times: As good as it gets
    • Great Expectations, Better than the Competition
    • No Better or Worse, Just different
    • Worse than similarly priced cruises. (please name)
    • The Worst of times: The cruise from hell.

There have been many posts lately about the Celebrity (mis)Treatment. Some posts have been totally negative, other experiences were beyond expectations. I would just like to know where the average Celebrity poster stands in relation to their own experience. I hope that many of you have cruised on more than one cruiseline and can give anecdotal references why Celebrity is better or worse than other cruise options.

Our cruise history includes:

"Leonardo da Vinci" - NYC to West Indies - March 1976

Royal Carribean - Carribean Cruise - December 1999

Carnival - New York to Canada - Summer 2000

Infinity - Vancouver to Alaska - Summer 2001

Millennium - Eastern Carribean - December 2002

Century - Western Carribean - December 2003

Mercury - Mexican Riviera - January 2005

Constellation- Baltic Cruise to Russia - June 2006

I checked "as good as it gets" based on comparing our Celebrity Cruises with Carnival and Royal Carribean. However, our 1976 cruise on the "Leonardo da Vinci" was in the same league, but that cruise line (Italian Line) no longer exisits.

I was on the 6/30 Mercury Cruise. In may ways it was better than my experience two years ago on the same ship. Celebrity has provided the two best cruises of my limited ecperince....lets say they are the top third :D

I chose the "worse than similarly priced cruises". We have only been on one previous cruise, with Royal Caribbean (serenade). The RC cruise had much friendlier staff, cleaner, etc. For example, on our recent cruise (7/1/06) at the buffet for breakfast, my husband wanted some ketchup for his potatoes and scrambled eggs. They were out (he looked both through the buffet, and the cafe (connected), and asked a server for some. He was told (not very friendly), it's "down there". When asked where "down there" was, because he had already walked through, the server didn't know for sure where it was, and seemed as if he was being put out to try and find some for us. (Same problem throughout the cruise). We ended up w/no ketchup most days.

This is a minor problem, and the only reason that I am bringing it up is that this was the same type of problem we had throughout. Ketchup would never be the reason not to cruise!

This is a minor problem, and the only reason that I am bringing it up is that this was the same type of problem we had throughout. Ketchup would never be the reason not to cruise!

It is the minor problems that often lead to the downgrade of a cruise experience. Half way through some of our cruises, Celebrity has run out of spinach salad, lemonade, green tea, walnuts, shrimp... and other items I can't remember right now. These are minor distractions from a wonderful experience but you wonder why, with computerized inventory histories, they happen repeatedly?

I choose the same but different. Reason, we are accustom to freestyle dining which does suit us better, but certainly not everyone I realize that. I like to compare the Connie 3 years ago the NCLs Sun a few months earlier as we had balcony cabins on both and the ships were about the same age within a year or so; can't get too much closer: Cabins: exactly the same size, with Connie having better storage: buffet, actually I liked NCLs especially breakfast a little better as they had a bigger variety: that was 3 years ago, on the Sun a few months ago this was not the case. Lunch buffet on Connie was better and the presentation much better. The overall food was a toss up, with a slight edge going to Celebrity but the special restaurants on the Sun are a better deal; cheaper and I think better. We found the entertainment similar.

Of course Celebrity still offers those little specials like Bubbly when you board, etc. and the T pool was outstanding.

Celebrity has prettier and classier looking ships, but I am not certain it is much better than any other line. I think there was a time they stood out and still have their loyal passengers that will always stand behind them. This is a good thing, not bad. NMnita

I've learned to enjoy what's best about each cruise line. Yes, INCLUDING Carnival! We have travelled on all of them, except NCL. There is something unique and enjoyable about each line.

Our recent Mexico cruise on Carnival was MAGNIFICENT! Based on our last Carnival cruise in the mid-90's, we had very modest expectations. Boy, were we surprised. I'd have to say that the Carnival verandah cabin was about the best layout, space, and quality of furnishings we'd every experienced.

We tried Holland America last Thanksgiving, and the gracious service is amazing. They have the BEST (Dutch brand) coffee I've every enjoyed on a cruise line.

Anyway, you get the picture. Go in with an open mind and ENJOY what's special about the line/ship that you are fortunate enough to be on! ;)

Great Expectations. Never had a bad cruise on X, NCL, RCL or Disney. While we've had a few grumblings about X, it's still a cut above the rest for us. Service and food in particular set it apart.

Not as good as they used to be, but still pretty darn good.

We started our cruising career with a Princess Cruise Tour to Alaska. They don't come any better than that - our first experience was WONDERFUL!!. We stayed with Princess for several cruises. We tried Crystal and a veranda for a Panama Canal cruise. Again, a WONDERFUL experience. We tried Celebrity out of Baltimore. We drove to Baltimore and couldn't board because of problems bringing the ship to dock. Bad start, we were on the local news.

BUT, we had a WONDERFUL cruise. And have been with Celebrity ever since. I miss leaving or returning to Baltimore for the convenience to us - but Celebrity will be our cruise line for now.:p

There have been many posts lately about the Celebrity (mis)Treatment. Some posts have been totally negative, other experiences were beyond expectations.

Some people cannot have a good time no matter how hard they try. Others can take the same experience and make it good.

mike:)

I find it interesting that 75% of your respondents find their experience to be somewhere in the top two categories. You certainly would not get that impression by reading the threads on this forum.

Susan

We have always loved celebrity. On our first cruise ( on RCCL ) we had a very nice time. My DH , never complains, he enjoyed the cruise but never had a desire to cruse again. I had cruised with my aunt many times since ( on Celebrity ). Two years ago, I asked my dh if he would like to go on another cruise. I chose celebrity again. He absolutely loved it, Always willing to go again since that great experience. Our next cruise- 14 day Panama canal cruise on the Summit ( our first aft CC cabin ) cannot wait !!

Nadine

I find it interesting that 75% of your respondents find their experience to be somewhere in the top two categories. You certainly would not get that impression by reading the threads on this forum.

Susan

I should have posted this poll on other cruise sites as well. Before the poll proves my point that people on this board enjoy the Celebrity experience by a wide margin we must also remember:

popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. .. even accurate statistics can be used to bolster an inaccurate argument through such methods as selectively choosing data.

As you will probably note, I do not post much on this board, but I did like this thread.

My wife and I have never had a bad cruise experience. We have cruised on Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, and Carnival numerous times. I can not say that any of the cruiselines is my favorite because they all have done a great job of providing us with a great cruise experience each time. There are differences with each line and I have found each line has their good points that make them enjoyable. I have noticed that over the years, especially since 9-11, that the difference between the cruiselines have narrowed. Carnival does not live up to the party animal image of the past and Celebrity is not near as sophisticated, but is still a great product. The one thing that I have noticed that is common with all of the cruiselines is the people were not different no matter which of these 4 cruiselines we were on at the time.

Our last cruise was in January on a Carnival ship. Our children are all grown and Carnival is each of their choices as the cruiseline they prefer. So if we cruise with our children, we cruise with Carnival even though we have taken them on some of the other cruiselines, they still prefer Carnival.

Our next cruise will probably be an RCCL, which we are planning to take with my wife's younger brother and wife next summer. It will be their first cruise and I think RCCL maybe be a good first crusieline for them.

Each time I get on a ship, I notice the first time cruisers and envy them. I smile and realize that everything is so new to them and I can never again enjoy the feelings they will be experiencing on this first cruise.

Thanks for letting me share some thoughts.

David

Arno..............you know how we feel about Celebrity!! Did I ever send you the pictures of you at our party?

To us, you cannot beat Celebrity................and we have tried almost every line except the 6 star, because we choose to cruise in a large suite for the same price that we would cruise in a small "suite" on a "Crystal" style ship. My brother cruises on the "best of the best" and he looks at my pictures of dinners in our cabin........parties in our cabin......which Arno will attest to....and for us............and only us (that being my wife and myself) Celebrity and RCCL cannot be beat.

Rick

I should have posted this poll on other cruise sites as well. Before the poll proves my point that people on this board enjoy the Celebrity experience by a wide margin we must also remember:

Actually what struck me about the figures wasn't that most respondents seem to like X, but that the results were so different from so many of the threads that we have been seeing lately on this forum, so I don't know that asking the question elsewhere would affect that. Especially since you specifically asked for input from the "average Celebrity poster."

I would expect people who use this forum to enjoy cruising with Celebrity. I guess my problem is with all the vitriol that I have been reading lately. That I simply don't understand. Any cruise line can have problems, but the ones that X has been encountering has triggered an anger evident in too many of the current threads.

How can a cruise line, so well liked, generate such animosity?

Susan

Each time I get on a ship, I notice the first time cruisers and envy them. I smile and realize that everything is so new to them and I can never again enjoy the feelings they will be experiencing on this first cruise.

Thanks for letting me share some thoughts.

David

I think it's a great observation!

How can a cruise line, so well liked, generate such animosity?

My guess would be "higher standards". People expect more from Celebrity than other cruiselines, whether by reputation, X marketing/advertising or price paid. When Celebrity comes up short, disappointment/resentment is more likely.

I recently had a bad experience in a Celebrity spa. While I expect...hmm, maybe not expect, how about "tolerate"...this on other cruiselines, the fact that it happened on Celebrity really bugged me. And the fact that they seemingly could care less about it added to that. A similar situation happened on NCL and we laughed about it. But on Celebrity, where our expectations are greater, our reaction was very different. We expected better behavior.

We have sailed a few times -- once on RCCL, once on Holland and four times on Celebrity. Remember this is all just my opinion. Celebrity is my favortie line that I've sailed with and the reasons why are . . .

My first cruise was on the RCCL Voyager of the Sea which was the largest ship at sea at the at the time. I was just beginning to find my way around the ship and figure out what crusing and relaxing when 9/11 happened. All I remember about the cruise is the reaction of passengers to 9/11, watching Paula Zahn on CNN and standing in line. So . . . it's not really fair for me to compare that cruise to any other.

Our next crusie was out of Baltimore on the Celebrity Galaxy for 10 days -- 10 days -- so wonderful. We had a great experience and vowed to sail Celebrity again.

While planning our next cruise I decided to try the Zuiderdam on Holland America. It was a pleasant cruise but I did not like the dining room (was to dark) and did not find the food or waiters as good as those on the Galaxy. Because of this we did find ourselves eating in the Speciality Restaurant almost every evening. We also we able to use the Speciality Restraurant for breakfast and/or lunch is we wanted because of the cabin we were in. The staff didn't seem as friendly as the staff on Celebrity. We also found that the typical passenger was quite a bit older than we are (mid-40's) but that didn't stop us from making lots of friends and having a good time. But the service wasn't up to my Celebrity standards.

Having said all of the above about Holland I did love that they had a Concierge Lounge and probably had one of the nicest days I've ever had at the private island that Holland owns in the pink cabana we rented. My husband and I will always remember our perfect day in the perfect pink cabana on the private island!

Our next crusise was the back on Celebrity on the Summit which we fell in love with. I can't think of anything that we could have found fault with. The food, the crew, the social director and the ship were wonderful. So wonderful in fact we booked the 11 day Summit while on board for six months after that cruise. Once again the Summit did not disappoint so . . . we then took the Summit on a 14 day cruise through the Panama Canal which was equally as wonderful as our other Summit cruises.

As you can see my cruises keep getting longer and longer . . . while on the Summit we booked a 14 day cruise on the Zenith for this November. I am looking forward to comparing the Zenith to the larger ships on the Celebrity line but am looking foward to the type of service I have received before on Celebrity.

Celebrity would be my first choice in the future and I would be glad to try Royal Carrribean again (especially now that I'm a stock holder). I have heard very nice things about Princess and NCl and would try them if they had the right price and ports. I would probably stay away from Holland because I didn't have a "spectacular" experience though it was a nice time -- now if they had a cruise to the private island and just dropped us a shore every day and picked us up at night for seven days . . . .

We really believe that everyone strives to give good service and we are pleasant and treat everyone well. I do know that has made our cruises more enjoyable and we have had great service.

We have been on 25+ cruises including Celebrity, Princess & HAL.

My experiences on Celebrity:

The good - Excellent service, good food and excellent entertainment and a state of the art theater.

The bad unreliable propulsion systems on M-Class ships, that force passengers to take a far greater risk, than they would on other cruise lines, that they will actually get to all of their ports. Celebrity is also less than truthfull in keeping passengers informed ie March 17 Mercury bleach cruise, May 7 Summit, etc.

My experiences on Holland America: The good - Larger staterooms and bathrooms and good service.

The bad - overall color scheme was kind of drab. Shows were not as good as Princess or Celebrity.

My experiences on Princess: The good - Excellent service and good food. A far superior frequent cruiser plan. Newer and more reliable ships.

The bad - Entertainment could be better on Princess. The automatic tipping feature seems to have affected the over attitude of some of the service workers.

I chose the "worse than similarly priced cruises". We have only been on one previous cruise, with Royal Caribbean (serenade). The RC cruise had much friendlier staff, cleaner, etc. For example, on our recent cruise (7/1/06) at the buffet for breakfast, my husband wanted some ketchup for his potatoes and scrambled eggs. They were out (he looked both through the buffet, and the cafe (connected), and asked a server for some. He was told (not very friendly), it's "down there". When asked where "down there" was, because he had already walked through, the server didn't know for sure where it was, and seemed as if he was being put out to try and find some for us. (Same problem throughout the cruise). We ended up w/no ketchup most days.

In contrast: on the Summit last April a traveling companion wanted some salsa for her eggs. There was none, but 10 minutes later one of the servers showed up with a bowl of freshly made salsa. Sometimes they seem to go all out for what you ask for!

It's interesting to read what different people have as expectations for an enjoyable cruise. Mine would be the people I'm around, including travel partners, other pax and the staff onboard. I can overlook a stain on the carpet and a bit of wear on a showroom seat, although I do appreciate a clean environment. I don't ever have high expectations for food, there is no way to serve gourmet food to thousands at a time.

Our one Celebrity cruise was as good as it gets in a number of areas. We were travelling with family and friends, we cruised Alaska, the whole week was awesome. The ship was beautiful, we loved our stateroom and location, our servers, our cabin attendants. It was our first time cruising without all the constant announcements and that added so much peace and quiet to the experience. I had almost never given any thought to the interruptions in our past cruises, but it was a delight to be left alone and not hawked at.

We've cruised 6 other lines in the past and it is there at the top in many areas. Interestingly enough, it was not our very favorite cruise to date, that would be the old American Hawaiian Independence. It was the oldest ship we've been on and showed its age, but the food, the staff and, of course, being in Hawaii was pure magic. My first cruise on Disney Magic was also awesome, although not attractive to many who would sail Celebrity Cruiseline. The other lines we've cruised with, RCI (pretty good) Carnival (never again) NCL (you have to give a nod to Freestyle and the specialty restaurants, although the cruise itself is much like Carnival) and finally QM2, for us, not worth the extra cost (lovely ship, food and service the same as any other cruise line for the standard cabins).

We hope in the future to sail some of the higher rated ships and lines.

We have been on several different cruise lines since our last Celebrity cruise so have no recent experience to relate, but that cruise stands out as one of the two best we have ever been on. (The other being a recent HAL cruise). Will be able to tell more in about two months. We will be on the SUMMIT in September.

As pointed out other places, the purchase of a cruise is no different than any other large purchase. We tend to go back to those products that have given us pleasure in the past. (I',m a GM guy, couldn't get me to look at a Ford).

As to enjoying this or any other experience, in the immortal words of Alfred E. Newman (Mad Mag). What, me worry?? or Don't sweat the small stuff.

Archived