Kukoo Kunuku Bus...anyone?

vegasbrew

Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the Kukoo Kunuku Bus in Aruba? On the RCCL web site it list two different ones (one with dinner and not). Are they worth the cost or can you book this yourself, and is it really as much fun as it sounds? We have no plans for our evening in Aruba and thought if anything we would meet alot of crazy people! Thanks!

I did the Kukoo Kunuku without dinner this past February and had a blast. It was definitely worth the money. We went to 5 different bars, singing and having fun all the way. At each bar you are given a drink ticket but you can buy more, or you can buy the souvenir cup (like a sports bottle with a lid) which you can use at each stop.

We have done it both ways and had a blast each time. You may be able to book it on your own and save a little money, but the excursion is capacity controlled so if the ship fills up all of their buses, you might be unable to be included. The tour booked through the cruiseline also starts and ends at the pier. If you book it independently you might have to meet the bus at another location and get to and from that location on your own and at your own expense. Check that out when you talk to them. We have a group that is scheduled to do the Kukoo Kunuku (w. dinner) when we are on Aruba during our Jewel of the Seas repositioning cruise at the end of next month, and are waiting to hear whether or not they will adjust the tour schedule to accommodate our ship's schedule change which has us leaving Oranjestadt at 11pm instead of 1am. If I were you and wanted to make sure of being included in this excursion, I'd book through the cruiseline despite the extra cost.

We have done it both ways and had a blast each time. You may be able to book it on your own and save a little money, but the excursion is capacity controlled so if the ship fills up all of their buses, you might be unable to be included. The tour booked through the cruiseline also starts and ends at the pier. If you book it independently you might have to meet the bus at another location and get to and from that location on your own and at your own expense. Check that out when you talk to them. We have a group that is scheduled to do the Kukoo Kunuku (w. dinner) when we are on Aruba during our Jewel of the Seas repositioning cruise at the end of next month, and are waiting to hear whether or not they will adjust the tour schedule to accommodate our ship's schedule change which has us leaving Oranjestadt at 11pm instead of 1am. If I were you and wanted to make sure of being included in this excursion, I'd book through the cruiseline despite the extra cost.

I cant seem to find it under the shore excursions on the rccl website.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the Kukoo Kunuku Bus in Aruba? On the RCCL web site it list two different ones (one with dinner and not). Are they worth the cost or can you book this yourself, and is it really as much fun as it sounds? We have no plans for our evening in Aruba and thought if anything we would meet alot of crazy people! Thanks!

I have heard nothing but great reviews about this and we were all excited about it, then we found out that it doesn't run on Friday nights, my son's 21st birthday and the only night we are there. Our whole group of 7 (maybe 9) were going to do this to help him celebrate. We were really bummed !

I have heard nothing but great reviews about this and we were all excited about it, then we found out that it doesn't run on Friday nights, my son's 21st birthday and the only night we are there. Our whole group of 7 (maybe 9) were going to do this to help him celebrate. We were really bummed !

We were just here this past Friday and they were running the buses.

Carnival offered the tour for 79.00 and booking online was only 45.00 (I dont know if that included dinner)

the buses no longer stop at Carlos & Charlies because it seems that the people on the tour did more waiting to be waited on then if they just walked into the place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone booked this outside of RCI? Where? I figured if I can save a little $ I could buy more drinks...what do they charge for those on the tour? Happy Sailing!!!!

I dont know what Royal caribbean charges but if you book on the net it will be 54.00 (must be over 18)

http://www.kukookunuku.com/

Has anyone booked this outside of RCI? Where? I figured if I can save a little $ I could buy more drinks...what do they charge for those on the tour? Happy Sailing!!!!

At each stop one drink is included in the amount that you paid for the excursion. They will give you a drink ticket before you enter each bar. I bought the Kukoo Kunuku souvenir mug for something like $5 and paid $2 extra at each stop to have it filled with the drink of my choice and ended up getting about 3 times the amount of alcohol everybody else did, at each stop.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to make my reservations for this directly from the "Kukoo" web site (saves about $20 per person) and they said, "they would not except a reservation if you are on a RCCL cruise due to contract" I know you must give them your information...what cruise line or what hotel...has anyone else gotten around this?

Probably what happened is that when RCCL renegotiated their contract this year they added a non-compete clause to it. This is fairly common for all cruiselines with many excursions (common examples are the America's Cup Regatta in St. Martin). I'm just surprised they hadn't done it in the past with the Kukoo Kunuku. What that means is that Kukoo Kunuku cannot take a booking from somebody in town on an RCCL ship without violating their contract with RCCL.

We would like to enjoy this bus "tour" but on the RCCL web site one of the resrictions for KK bus ride is <300 lbs. One of our group members is more than that, so I'm curious as to why, and if any one has had any problems with this.

Tibear

Dear Tibear,

I can understand why the bus tour would be restricted for people of a large size (weight and height). The buses are renovated open air school buses. All double seating that you see on a normal bus is removed, except for a few left in place, and all other seats are replaced with wooden benches with backs that run from one side of the bus to the other side of the bus. Seating is very tight and cramped. If you are a large person or an extremely tall person, you would not be too comfortable and have great difficulty in getting on and off the buses. Even still, this is a great tour, not to be missed.

• 3 months later...

We did enjoy this adventure, but I would like to give some of the down sides:

1. The music on the bus is LOUD!!!! This one thing almost ruined the whole experience for me.

2. All of the bars they took us to seemed to be gay bars or at least had a lot of gay patrons. I personally don't care, but be warned.

3. Some of the bars were pretty dead. If you were with a bunch of friends, you could make your own fun, but we were alone.

On the positive side:

1. The drinks were good, plentiful and cheap. Definitely get the closed mug they offer.

2. The sunset beach stop was great.

3. The dinner was just okay, but the location was cool (some old ambassador's house.)

4. The "guide" was an absolute NUT CASE PARTY ANIMAL!!!

Have Fun!

NotAGeek We did enjoy this adventure, but I would like to give some of the down sides:

All of the bars they took us to seemed to be gay bars or at least had a lot of gay patrons. I personally don't care, but be warned.

For you to mention the "gay patrons" certainly indicates a phobia with the gay lifestyle. As my wife always says " enjoy the dinner with a show "......

Hi!

I booked this excursion for Brilliance of the Seas too! Talked my Dad into taking it also. I figure even though it's about the most "tacky tourist" thing I could do, it will also be a lot of fun and a great way to visit the watering holes safely, in a group. According to the RCCI brochure, with the bar & pub stroll, you have to get your own transportation back to the ship. I figured, after drinking all night, that's the last thing I want to do. So...hopefully it will be an enjoyable experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried to book this tour through their website.

I received an e-mail response indicating that they are "under contract" with the cruise lines and cannot take independent reservations.

What a shame!!!

Now that they have my name, I cannot do this, but a suggestion for other future guests:

Give them the name of a hotel; don't tell them you are on the cruise ships.

Hi everybody

We did the Kuku Kunuku fun bus with RCCL last week. After reading the good reviews on here. I have to say it was the worst tour we did !!!!!!

Joined the bus at the pier where you are handed a maraca with music playing that was OK. Our first stop was a small bar about a 15 minute drive from the pier. The bar was empty when we arrived and empty when we left. :confused:

Took advantage of the mug which gets you about a double measure for an extra $2 The drinks are measured, not like on board ship !!!!!

The second stop we joined another 2 buses, one from a hotel and one from the ship who had had the dinner option added. After 20 minutes the first 2 parties left to go to the third bar leaving our group alone. This happened at every bar afterwards. The bar which was called something like "In for beer" we went in and saw advertisements for Heineken I asked for one and a Gin & tonic for my wife. I was told they hadn't got either !!!!!

We made comment to the girl who was our organiser and she said that there was nothing they could do. However when the remark was made that we would be complaining back on board she came upto my wife and whispered "Here are another 4 drink tickets but do not tell anyone." Once again when the other 2 buses left we were on our own.

On to the fourth which had disco music so loud you couldn't hear anyone speak. OK if you want to just dance !!!!

I had to take my rum and coke back as it was so weak you could give it to a five year old !!! Rum was added without question but it makes you wonder if it is the practice. My wife asked for a Cointreau and Sprite to be told that it wasn't part of the package !!!!! :mad:

It was here that we found out that the tour no longer goes to Carlos & Charlies (sorry if that was what you booked it for like we did). The annoying part about it is that RCCL still advertise this stop on the video on your stateroom TV but they put a comment in the Compass that it no longer goes. :mad: :mad:

Well that was the last straw we decided to get a cab back to the pier, to enjoy the rest of the evening onboard "Brilliance"

I would definately not recommend this tour.

Regards

Paul

Archived