Packing Made Simple

Rev22:17

Everybody,

The question of what to bring on a cruise keeps surfacing so it's time to put it where it's easy to find.

Here's my packing list for 14 nights aboard a Celebrity ship (3 formal evenings, 4 informal evenings, and 7 casual evenings) in a warm destination and an adaptation for ladies. Here are easy adaptations.

>> For seven-night cruises, cut everything in half, rounding fractions up. For cruises of other durations, adjust the quantities of "15" to one more than the number of nights of the cruise and the quantities of formal and informal clothing to correspond to the number of such evenings scheduled by the line.

>> For a cruise on a line that does not hold "informal" evenings, delete the items specific to "informal" evenings.

>> For a cruise to Alaska, add another sweatshirt and a winter jacket, hat, and gloves to each list.

>> For a cruise within Europe, reduce the shorts to one or two pairs for wear on days at sea. Also, for ladies, ensure that skirts for daytime wear extend below the knee and that tops for daytime wear (1) fully cover the shoulders and (2) are long enough to stay tucked into the waistbands of the skirts or slacks.

You also may want to modify my lists according to your own plans for activities, both aboard ship and ashore.

>> I did not include athletic clothing on the lists because i use the pool rather than the gym. If you plan to use the gym, you'll need to add suitable attire for your workouts.

>> I also did not include specialized clothing or equipment for activities ashore. If you are planning any hiking or diving trips, you'll need to add whatever you want to bring for those activities to the list. If you are planning to play golf, you'll want to bring your golf shoes even if you plan to rent clubs.

>> You may wish to replace my "bible and prayer book" with equivalent resources of your faith.

Okay, on to the list.

GENTS

Wear to Ship:

* Polo or Golf Shirt

* Undershorts

* Pair of Slacks

* Belt

* Pair of Socks

* Pair of Dress Shoes (get polished at airport en route)

Pack:

* 15 Polo (or Golf) Shirts

* 15 Pairs of Undershorts

* 3 Pairs of Slacks

* 4 Pairs of "Dress" Shorts

* 15 Pairs of Socks

* 20-25 Handkerchiefs

* 1 Pair of Dress Shoes (Well Polished)

* 1 Pair of Moccasins (with Rubber Soles) or Sandals

* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops

* 2 "Hawai'ian" or "Island" Shirts

* 1 Waterproof Windbreaker

* 1 Sweater or Sweatshirt

* 2 Swimsuits

* 1 Baseball Cap, Sun Hat, or Visor

* 1 Sport Coat

* 4 Dress Shirts

* 4 Neckties

* 1 Dinner Jacket

* 1 Pair Formal Evening Pants

* 3 Formal Dress Shirts, Pleated, with French Cuffs

* 2 Cummerbunds with Matching Bow Ties

* 1 Formal Vest with Matching Bow Tie

* 2 Launtry Bags

* Toiletry Kit

* Electric Razor

* APS Camera and Film

* 16-Day Supply of Medicines

* Bible and Prayer Book

* Tickets (Cruise and Airline)

* Passport

LADIES

Wear to Ship:

* "Bra Top" or Leotard

* Panties

* Skirt or Pair of Slacks

* Stockings or Panty Hose, if Desired

* Pair of Pumps

Pack:

* 15 "Bra Tops" or Leotards

* 15 Pairs of Panties

* 3 Skirts or Pairs of Slacks

* 4 Pairs of Dress Shorts

* 20-25 Handkerchiefs

* 1 Pair of Evening Dress Shoes

* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops

* 2 "Hawai'ian" or "Island" Dresses

* 1 Sun Hat or Visor

* 2 Swimsuits with Wrap Cover-Ups

* 1 Evening Dress with 3 Sets of Accessories

* 3 Bras to Wear with Evening Dress, if Required

* 2 Cocktail Dresses with 4 Sets of Accessories (2 for each dress)

* 4 Bras to Wear with Cocktail Dress, if Required

* 2 Evening Handbags

* 1 Evening Shawl, in case the dining room or the showroom is chilly

* Stockings or Pantyhose for Eveningwear, as Desired

* 2 Launtry Bags

* 4 or 5 Sets of Casual Jewelry

* Toiletry Kit

* Cosmetics

* Electric Razor, if desired

* APS Camera and Film

* Bible and Prayer Book

* Passport

The pumps would certainly be suitable for wear on casual evenings so you can save the evening dress shoes for the formal and informal evenings.

These lists actually provide one extra change of clothes in case of a mishap or a broken connection forcing an extra overnight stay en route home. My basic strategy is to shower at the end of the daytime activities, before dinner. On "casual" evenings, I'll don clean undershorts, a clean polo shirt, and slacks. The next morning, I'll don the same undershorts and shirt with a pair of shorts for the day's activiities. On the evenings of the tropical deck parties, I'll don a Hawai'ian shirt then don a clean polo shirt the next morning. Likewise, on "formal" and "informal" evenings , I'll wear the respective outfit and don a clean polo shirt the next morning. A similar regimen works for ladies.

Now, there is one additional trick. Choose clothes that won't wrinkle (or at least that won't hold wrinkles) and that will pack compactly. Here are a couple examples.

>> A "speedo" swimsuit (gents) or a "bikini" swimsuit with a triangle top (ladies) generally fold much more compactly than other styles of swimsuits. Nylon/lycra swimsuits also fold more compactly than other materials, and they have the additional advantage of drying quickly so two are enough.

>> Some styles of underwear fold a lot more compactly than others, and it really does not matter what style of underwear you choose because your spouse is the only passenger who will see you in it. For men, "Eurobriefs" or "fashion" bikinis generally take about half the space of standard American "tighty whities" or boxers. For women, bikini or thong styles generally fold more compactly than full panties. You choice of underwear also can lighten your luggage by several pounds.

>> Fold your clothes neatly. Back when I was a naval officer, a sailor once told men that the "only" thing that he learned in boot camp was to fold his clothes in "equal thirds" each way. Our sailors have very limited locker space aboard naval ships so I figured that there must be a "madness to the method" if they put that much emphasis on folding clothes "just so" in boot camp. Thus, I decided to try folding clothes into "equal thirds" (sides in first, then bottom, then top, starting witth the front of the garment down) for everything that does not have creases. Sure enough, the garments came out considerably more compactly than when folded in the manner that my mother had taught me to fold them.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Norm,

Thank goodness, someone realizes the need for a really good packing list! I cannot thank you enough? for your thoughtful contribution to this board. But, you didn't mention the number of suitcases and how to put this small amount of clothes, etc., in them. And, how do we smuggle in the illegal booze? Any additional information will be appreciated.

Wrap your illegal booze in it.You can cut down on the bubble wrap.Just kidding.We use space travel bags on some of our longer cruises.They compress your clothes neatly in your luggage.You can find them in any Kmart,Bed Bath & Beyond and Linin & Things.It will help you cut down on bringing extra luggage,and the clothes stay neat.My wife and I also make a habit of mixing our clothes together in our suitcases.Just in case one of our bags should arrive late or get lost we at least have something for each of us to put on.I haven't had any problems so far but we have seen other passengers with the same clothes on for a couple days.

Pack:

* 3 Pairs of Slacks

* 15 Pairs of Socks

* 20-25 Handkerchiefs

* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops

* 2 Swimsuits

* 1 Sport Coat

* 4 Dress Shirts

* 4 Neckties

* 1 Dinner Jacket

* 2 Launtry Bags

* Toiletry Kit

* Electric Razor

* APS Camera and Film

* Bible and Prayer Book

* Passport

Hey thanks for the packing list! I too wonder, is all this supposed to fit into one large bag or a couple of medium ones?

One thing I do is pack a small empty fold up or zipper bag (on wheels) and stuff it in somewhere. I bought a blue nylon one on the Merc last cruise and it comes in very handy! Folds up to about 9"x12"x3" and opened it's huge! On the way home it's used for either souvineers or dirty laundry. Yeah...fine Mister TSA inspector...go ahead...inspect that bag...I dare ya!:D But seriously, I'd rather have the smelly dirty sox in a separate bag than with my other stuff.

Just a thought.

20-25 Handkerchiefs

Please forget about the hankerchiefs. They have got to be the most unsanitary item you can possibly put in your pocket. With Noro as rampant as it is this item is one big germ spreader. They should be outlawed!!!!!

How about instead a supply of disposable kleenex.

Simple??? Are you kidding me?? How many of you wear totally different clothes every day without repeating at all?

Underwear I can understand, but mix and match is the way to go with daily/nightly outfits. If we packed everything on that list, we'd be paying serious overages on luggage weight. I have studiously worked on SCALING BACK my packing, while encouraging DH to pack a bit more. He would go with an overnight bag if I let him and I could probably find enough stuff for 4 suitcases. Every cruise we have come closer to a happy medium, but neither of us would pack anywhere near as much on that list. I never wear everything I pack, so I make myself take less every time.

I use space bags to help with space issues. Usually I have two suitcases and DH has one and the 2-suiter with the hanging clothes and odds and ends stuffed into the bottom and front/back pockets. He did actually take more than ever last summer on our 12-night Jewel cruise, but didn't wear it all and made sure to say, "I told you I didn't need all that." lol

We have another 11-nighter coming up in 2 weeks and are going to book a 14-night Aust/NZ for next Jan. while on the ship, but we will still be packing as light as possible.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/29/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Yes, I was curious how all of these clothes fit into two suitcases per person!

Speaking of curious, I need some help on how to pack to avoid the least wrinkles. I have a garment bag, which holds the dresses and DH's suits, and some small roll up things, but no matter how I pack the dress shirts, golf shirts, etc, they always arive crunched up from being tossed around. I usually fold casual slacks in half, and a dress shirt in thirds. After taking the time to iron everything and pack neatly, when I arrive...the clothes don't look quite the same.

Yes, I was curious how all of these clothes fit into two suitcases per person!

Speaking of curious, I need some help on how to pack to avoid the least wrinkles. I have a garment bag, which holds the dresses and DH's suits, and some small roll up things, but no matter how I pack the dress shirts, golf shirts, etc, they always arive crunched up from being tossed around. I usually fold casual slacks in half, and a dress shirt in thirds. After taking the time to iron everything and pack neatly, when I arrive...the clothes don't look quite the same.

Yankee Doodle, I use the plastic clothes bags that are used at your local dry cleaners. Just go in and ask for 2 dozen. They wont mind giving them to you. Example: Place your shirt flat in the suitcase, fold in the sides, place plastic bag over the item with the leftover plastic hanging outside the end of the suitcase. Place the next item in and cover with the remaining plastic. Repeat. This really helps allot. Unfortunately I like to wear allot of cotton tops ( and they wrinkle )This cut down on wrinkles allot. Try it I believe you will be quite happy with the results

Nadine

Norm-

Hehehehe! I gotta hand it to you- you almost had me! I think if it hadn't been for the "20-25 handkerchiefs", I might have thought you were serious! Or maybe it was the "2 Cummerbunds with Matching Bow Ties" that tipped me off! Nope- I have it- it was the Speedo swimsuit! ;)

I mean, 15 polo shirts!?!?! 15 "bra tops" or leotards??? Our dear friends, who have cruised- and I do not lie- no less than 50 7-day or more cruises on formal cruise lines- have never packed more than one airline rollaboard bag each! While we have not succeeded in emulating their economy as yet, we always envy the fact that they can be ready for a last-minute cruise deal in something under 20 minutes! ;)

Anyhow, I'm going to print this list out for our friends and ask them to respond with their version. I'll post it when they do.

Kupe

Pack:

* 3 Pairs of Slacks

* 15 Pairs of Socks

* 20-25 Handkerchiefs

* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops

* 2 Swimsuits

* 1 Sport Coat

* 4 Dress Shirts

* 4 Neckties

* 1 Dinner Jacket

* 2 Launtry Bags

* Toiletry Kit

* Electric Razor

* APS Camera and Film

* Bible and Prayer Book

* Passport

LADIES

Wear to Ship:

* "Bra Top" or Leotard

* Panties

* Skirt or Pair of Slacks

* Stockings or Panty Hose, if Desired

* Pair of Pumps

Pack:

* 15 "Bra Tops" or Leotards

* 15 Pairs of Panties

* 3 Skirts or Pairs of Slacks

* 4 Pairs of Dress Shorts

* 20-25 Handkerchiefs

* 1 Pair of Evening Dress Shoes

* 1 Pair of Flip-Flops

* 2 "Hawai'ian" or "Island" Dresses

* 1 Sun Hat or Visor

* 2 Swimsuits with Wrap Cover-Ups

* 1 Evening Dress with 3 Sets of Accessories

* 3 Bras to Wear with Evening Dress, if Required

* 2 Cocktail Dresses with 4 Sets of Accessories (2 for each dress)

* 4 Bras to Wear with Cocktail Dress, if Required

* 2 Evening Handbags

* 1 Evening Shawl, in case the dining room or the showroom is chilly

* Stockings or Pantyhose for Eveningwear, as Desired

* 2 Launtry Bags

* 4 or 5 Sets of Casual Jewelry

* Toiletry Kit

* Cosmetics

* Electric Razor, if desired

* APS Camera and Film

* Bible and Prayer Book

* Passport

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Big sigh of relief here--:p I really thought you were serious! I am by no means a spring chicken, but I have never owned a handkerchief!

I got exhausted just reading your lists, but then we just got back from a cruise and just finished with the unpacking and laundry. Seems like your list was heavy on the undies and light on all the other women's clothing--especially the shoes shoes shoes...is there a message in this?;)

Big sigh of relief here--:p Seems like your list was heavy on the undies and light on all the other women's clothing--especially the shoes shoes shoes...is there a message in this?;)

I think so. His recommended boarding outfit for ladies was "bra top" or leotard, skirt, panty hose (but only if desired!), and pumps! Sheesh- Britney Spears would blush at that combo! Or maybe not... ;)

Kupe

I should never have fallen for this one! I know for sure there is no 'simple' way to pack!

I use the space bags but only on the return home. Instant space for purchases!

I also pack a duffle type bag in case I get 'inspired' with my shopping. :D

My downfall is underwear. I pack two pair of undies for every day including pre and post. I do b2b's so it gets to be a lot. My cleaning lady says I am the only person she knows who has 100 pair of underwear!! :D

I looked at your list and it was more than I pack. I usually where sport coat tie and white shirt every night. Suit or tux on formal nights.

I do like to wear a sport coat and dress pants on the plane and then get them pressed when on the ship.

This does save some packing room. I have cut pack on dress shirt and wear them twice. If needed have them laundered on the ship.

I think shoes are the biggest problem. They take up a lot of room.

I would really like to carry on all my clothes. I would probably have a large laundry bill. Though, I don't need to worry about one carry on. Wife insists on a different outfit every night. L.O.L.

Good packing tips from you though. I enjoyed.

Yankee Doodle, I use the plastic clothes bags that are used at your local dry cleaners. Just go in and ask for 2 dozen. They wont mind giving them to you. Example: Place your shirt flat in the suitcase, fold in the sides, place plastic bag over the item with the leftover plastic hanging outside the end of the suitcase. Place the next item in and cover with the remaining plastic. Repeat. This really helps allot. Unfortunately I like to wear allot of cotton tops ( and they wrinkle )This cut down on wrinkles allot. Try it I believe you will be quite happy with the results

Nadine

We also use the cleaner bags, if you put one over each hang up piece they will not wrinkle. Tip on the shirts, after seeing the last cost for dress shirts I wash the shirts at home and have them pressed on board, doesn't cost much and saves a lot. This is probably the only laundry service we use

I'm assuming this list would be for someone who would not consider spending any money on laundry services. For a 7 day cruise I pack 3 days of clothing plus formal/informal wear wear and hand my room steward a laundy bag every day. It's worth the reasonable cost not to have to pack, unpack and shlep all that stuff! I can't imagine packing 11 polo shirts for an 11 day cruise!

Gee, thanks, I'll pass this along to the upstairs maid for use when she packs for my next excursion. :rolleyes:

Seriously ... I tend to really overpack and this is WAY more than I would ever carry. Why would I need 15 bra tops or leotards? Add that to the undergarments suggested for wear with cocktail and formal gowns and I would fill up every single drawer in my stateroom! Rev - are you sure you don't work for an undergarment and hankerchief manufacturer?

Smart packing means finding ways to wear things more than once. It also means budgeting a few dollars for laundry so you don't need to haul your entire wardrobe aboard.

To dress appropriately onboard one does not need to wear something different every morning, noon or night. It instead entails being respectful of the suggested dress codes and fellow passengers, while recognizing that you are not on a fashion parade but rather on vacation.

Nadine

I agree with Nadine - I did this on the last cruise and it worked great.

I also pack a bottle of the Downey Wrinkle Releaser - that really works well.

i also found this folding technique to work well for packing and less wrinkles. seriously!

Jeffrey

i also found this folding technique to work well for packing and less wrinkles. seriously!

Jeffrey

The best way to pack is to put almost everything in ZipLock bags. Keeps things clean, they don't wrinkle, you can see what's in the bag and things don't take up as much room. For evening clothes, gowns and tuxes I use the cleaner bags but put all the accessories in ZipLock bags. So much easier. On the return trip I put all the dirty clothes in one suitcase or bag and just let it next to the washing machine when I get home. I do love to travel!

Stacky

Why are so many folks picking on Norm? He may overpack a bit, but I don't think he was trying to pull anyone's leg.

To avoid wrinkles, I saw something on the fodor's website a few years ago -- it involves making a "package" of everything in the bag. You take a pair of pants (or a dress or skirt) and lay them in the bag, waist at one end and drape the legs over the side of the bag. Lay on another pair of pants in the other direction. Keep doing this, then with shirts unfolded and collar at one end with arms and tail draped over the sides, alternating directions. Keep moving on to smaller things, then place a "core" of things like socks, undies, or other things that won't wrinkle (or you won't care if they wrinkle). Then, carefully fold the top thing in the bag (other than the core) around the core, working you way down, one item at a time until the last thing folded over is the pair of pants you started with. You'll end up with one bundle of clothes, and you may want to surround this with shoes, socks or other items that can't wrinkle to fill the space so the bundle doesn't shift or loosen. The big downside of this is that you have to fully pack and unpack every time you get into the bag -- not convenient on a land trip, but maybe not so bad for a cruise. If this description is too goofy (and it probably it), you can look on the fodor's site for this and other packing ideas.

Jeffrey

How cool is that--but I did scroll down & find the english version..I started out bringing all the way to the edge--that didn't work..really kool tho--hope I CAN remember when I need to know. Thanks:D

Archived