swollen feet and ankles

nhkroozer

One way to get rid of water retention is with water . Drink lots to flush it out .

we're wondering if the water is the source, being that it's desalinated. it would be in all of the frozen drinks, table water as well the ice.

Some people swell up due to the desalinated water which still contains a lot of salt.

DH thought this same thing, so we gave it a test. On a cruise a year or so ago we carried on a case of bottled water. He took 'his' water with him everywhere, stayed away from the ice onboard etc. It didn't help a bit. We finally decided it had to be caused by the high sodium sauces and foods served onboard.

My ankles disapear on cruises! We were on the Coral last month and it was horrible. It gets worse as time goes on so it's not from the plane. We also get a fair amount of exercise so I don't think it's from laying around. I drank a lot of water last cruise hoping it would help (it didn't) and then wondering if it could be any salt in the water. Maybe it's from the salt water I swallow while snorkeling? :) I'm seriously going to talk to my doctor about medication before my next cruise.

I always end up with "ring around the ankle" when I cruise. Any and/or all of the above-mentioned can be causes. Other possibilities include change in climate and increased amounts of alcohol.

DH and I cruise during the winter months when we need a break from Michigan winters. My feet/ankles tend to swell when I'm thrust into a climate that is suddenly much hotter and more humid that the weather I've left behind.

I know that I consume much more alcohol on a cruise than I would at home - It's the wine, stupid! :D - and I'm certain that this, too, contributes to the swollen feet and ankles. Within 48 hours of our arrival back in Michigan, the swelling dissipates, and the 2-3# water weight gain is gone.

Chris

Last August just before sailing on the Carnival Legend i read on these boards about swelling of the feet and ankles and that the water on board is the problem. Its in everything you eat . I'm so glad that I read the post because after 4 or 5 days into the cruise my feet and ankles were enormous and they hurt.

Once home they went back down to normal size. This August we will be sailing on the Crown and I plan to bring my own bottled water.

Every time I go on vacation my feet and ankles swell. Doesn't matter if its a cruise or a trip to Hawaii. Change in climatic conditions, air changes in the airplane, air conditioning, sitting, walking all contribute. I've gotten some "water pills" and it helps, but keep drinking lots of water, bottled or otherwise.

Keep your legs elevated whenever you can, have your significant other massage the ankles to keep the blood flowing, and wear comfortable shoes (probably a size larger).

It seems to happen to a vast majority of us over 30, and if we are carrying a few - or many- extra pounds it becomes worse.

For me it happens because I'm not drinking as much water as usual. At home I easily drink 64 ounces during the course of the day, but on a ship I basically just drink water at meals. Even if I bring a bottle on shore, it still doesn't add up to what I drink at home. "The more you drink the less you retain"!! :eek:

There is an alternative solution: ask in writing ahead of time for salt-free food. Princess is wonderful about handling special diets.

I find that all restaurant and shipboard meals are much too heavy on the salt. Last night we ate in a fancy hotel at a wedding reception and today I am swollen. At least it is only one day of eating salty food.

Roberta

next cruise!!!! There is way too much salt in the food for me. I never use salt when I cook and don't use it at the table. My feet are like balloons when we cruise. On the Coral in May it was seriously uncomfortable.

In November, we did not fly to the cruise so I had to quit blaming the plane!!

Time to take action for myself and save my feet, ankles and heart!!!!

Cheers, Denise

On our first few cruises, I couldn't get my rings off and all of my shoes were too tight. I thought it was due to the water on the ships and the plane to get there but I was wrong. The last few cruises I have taken a Nalgene bottle and I drink water like is it my job. I must fill it up 5 times a day with lemon and ice and I have had no problems since with the swelling. I think the problem is mostly due to the amount of salt they put in the food but I probably wasn't drinking as much water as I usually do at home. I drink atleast 80oz a day at home and I am certain that I drink about double that when I am away. I will be doing the same thing in 4 weeks on our next cruise. A few trips to the washroom sure beats that swollen feeling.

I think that even more than the sodium in the food it is the alcohol that most of us tend to consume on a ship (and at ports) that create the swelling. I know we drink more onboard than we do at home, and I have talked to several folks who almost never buy alcohol to have around the house that LOVE to try the "drink of the day" or those wonderful margaritas!!

Unless she is one to totally abstain, try it at home...have two or three drinks during the course of one day and see of you don't have the same problem the next day...alcohol makes me retain water to the point if I have two glasses of wine with dinner, my fingers swell up enough that my rings are tight the next morning...makes the eyes puffy too....:(

I get this every time I cruise. Here is what I do. I messauge my ankles 2-3 times daily. I sleep with two pillows under my ankles (ask your steward for extra pillows (they will gladly give you extra). This helps. Drink water and ask for less salt in food. Stay away from soups as they are loaded with salt (I asked the waiter). Certain drinks have alot of salt in them by nature (Margritas, Ceasers, any drink with tomato juice).

Here is another suggestion before you cruise ask your TA to tell RCCL for a lower sodium diet. This must be done at least 30 days prior to cruise. Check with the Mait'd the first day. He/she is located in one of the Dining Rooms. Go and ensure they got the sessage. Ask for salt for your table so that you control it. When your ankles swell you know you have had to much.

As above there are many factors that can cause your ankles to swell. Not enough water in your system to flush salt out. Salt air (you are on the ocean with lots of salt in the air) is one. Others include pressure changes, climate, salt intake (both air and food (they use a lot of salt in their foods), health, age/sex (women are more prone to this then men) and physical activity (I use a wheelchair and sometimes I swell when I do not do my exercises).

Do go to your doctor and get some water pills but remember if you take them to increase your water intake.

My ankles and hands swell up every time I cruise also. I ask my Dr. and she said it is a combination, the humidity, the food we are eating probably has more salt content than what we are used to, drinking more soda than what we normally do it has a tremendous amount of salt, chocolate has a lot of salt, and if you sit a lot that will also cause you to swell. I do retain water when the humidity is high in the Summer months. I take a water pill when needed. I could go months without it then all of a sudden I am taking them for a couple of weeks at a time. I had shoes that had an ankle strap and they were actually big before I left home, the 3rd night I tried to wear them and could not get the strap around my ankles. My knees were even swelled! You can also get bottled water and squeeze fresh lemon in the bottle, this is a natural cleanser. But the water pill and a couple of bottles of lemon water works better than anything else I have tried. Once I realized I was retaining water I cut back on the soda and the chocolate. I also requested food that was not salted!

On board said about what I was going to say: Higher humidity, different foods, more alcohol, probably drinking less water; all lead to water retention. I think not having the problem is more unusual than having it. The lemon in the water is a great idea, drink as much as you can (I mean water) and cut back on the salt. I think about breakfast alone: at home we have eggs and bacon, sausage or whatever once or twice a week, most. On a ship it is almost daily plus all the cheese, sandwhiches with lunch meat and OMG I love the anchovies HAL has on the salad bar. I could go on and on. I look at it this way, as much as it is uncomforable it is a temporary thing. After being home 2 or 3 days I am back to normal. Someone did mention cruising the Mexican Riv is easier on the body. I don't know why. NMnita

Archived