Has anyone been on Eli's Xtreme tour recently?

cruiselover11

We went in January. Loved it. Takes you around the whole island with plenty of stops for swimming... snorkling with the rays... etc. Very fun. We had a great time and would book again without hesitation. Hope you enjoy your trip... whatever you choose to do.

we have had reservations for the Eco tour for months and just got an email that they got a better offer...a charter for the week...so we are out of luck..always have a back up plan...Anyone have any suggestions ?

We went in January. Loved it. Takes you around the whole island with plenty of stops for swimming... snorkling with the rays... etc. Very fun. We had a great time and would book again without hesitation. Hope you enjoy your trip... whatever you choose to do.

I agree with Nancy...my husband and I just went on this excursion 2 weeks ago and it was the highlight of our cruise!! The island is beautiful, the snorkeling is great, and my husband loved the stingrays...the crew is also great at making sure you are having good time and were always very professional...we want to go back to Antigua and spend more time and we wouldn't hesitate booking this trip again!!

here is a video of the tour

We have scheduled for December directly with Adventure Antigua instead of thru Shoretrips. On shoretrips, they said that the tour was not available on Sundays, but I have a reservation on Sunday thru Adventure Antigua.

• 3 weeks later...

We Just got off Carnivals Liberty and this was by far the best day we had on our cruise!!! We have pretty "frugal" husbands and they both said it was worth every cent and that they would do this tour again.

They gave a nice history of what we were seeing, had a great lunch at green island, beautiful stop at rondevous beach (there was only one other family there) snorkling at hercules pillars was short due to everyone being to nervous about all the "Moon" jellyfish. and stopt to snorkle with the stingrays was also great....we were the only boat there. It was super fun personal service with a smile!!!

We will definatly do this tour again!

We did the Xtreme Circumnav July 5th and had a great time-ages 50-20. We were picked up right by the cruise ship, cannot miss the meeting point and then headed around the island to pick up some more passengers. There was plenty of room on the boat and if you want sun and a bit bumpier ride, sit up front!! There is a canopy so if you need a break from the sun, sit there. Our first snorkel stop was stingray city, we've been to the one in Grand Cayman and this is on a smaller scale so more laid back. We stopped at a private island for a bbq lunch then off to snorkel by Nelson's Dock. A stop for yummy rum punch on another deserted beach was next-don't drink tooo much, you have to swim back to the boat:D We did go around the whole island and were dropped off right by the ship as scheduled. Highly recommend!!

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty much all day - about 6 hours, and you meet Eli right near where the cruise ships dock - it's maybe a 3-4 minute walk. If you have a balcony cabin, you can watch him enter the harbor. We usually wave to him from our balcony and then head down.

Jodi

We are considering booking Eli's excursion for our visit in March... here are a few questions I have:

Which tour to book... The Eco or the Xtreme? The eco is $90pp though the website and seems a little slower paced, the xtreme is $150 and seems like you are going FAST most of the time... is this the case? And is it worth the extra $$ for the Xtreme? Anyone been on BOTH tours?

My Fiance is not a super-strong swimmer... do they have lifejackets available? do people wear them? what opportunities are there for swimming? (I just noticed a previous posters comment where he/she said "Don't drink too much Rum Punch because you have to swim back to the boat"...) We went snorkling for the first time in Grand Caymen last March and LOVED it, but he had a lifejacket to float on and he was fine. Just wondering about this!

thanks in advance!!

I'm curious as well...honestly, reading the description on the website...it looks like you get more on the "laid back" tour. I've done stingrays in GC and in Belize...so that's not that big a deal to me...but which tour offers more activity?

We are considering booking Eli's excursion for our visit in March... here are a few questions I have:

Which tour to book... The Eco or the Xtreme? The eco is $90pp though the website and seems a little slower paced, the xtreme is $150 and seems like you are going FAST most of the time... is this the case? And is it worth the extra $$ for the Xtreme? Anyone been on BOTH tours?

My Fiance is not a super-strong swimmer... do they have lifejackets available? do people wear them? what opportunities are there for swimming? (I just noticed a previous posters comment where he/she said "Don't drink too much Rum Punch because you have to swim back to the boat"...) We went snorkling for the first time in Grand Caymen last March and LOVED it, but he had a lifejacket to float on and he was fine. Just wondering about this!

thanks in advance!!

We've done both and enjoyed both. And yes, on the Xtreme, you're going FAST most of the time. That power boat is part of the kick. I think it's worth the extra $$. On the Eco Tour you have a snorkeling stop, a climb at Hell's Gate, a hike on Bird Island, where they serve lunch (yum, yum), afternoon refreshments (rum punch time :) ) is on the boat, and you tour the offshore islands and the mangrove area. You learn quite a bit about Antigua and its ecology (hence, "Eco-Tour"). You sta in the North Sound area, and the boat goes more slowly (although it doesn't just float from spot to spot). On the Xtreme, you go to Stingray City, Green Island (where the same yummy lunch as you get on the Eco-Tour is served, you get a harbor based tour of English Harbor, snorkel at the Pillars of Hercules, near English Harbor, and have a rum punch/other drinks stop at Rendezvous beach. You go around the entire island, and part of the ride is actually in the Atlantic. You go fast - it can be bumpy at times, but it's a blast. You learn a lot as you circle the island, and see a lot, but it isn't Eco-focussed.

They carry life vests, and will help less strong swimmers. My husband has used them. On the Eco-Tour there are usually a couple of options at each of the stops. For instance, at Hell's Gate, you can climb, snorkel, or relax in the tidal pool area, which is kind of like a jacuzzi. And we've been on the tour when people have chosen to basically stay on the boat and relax at all the stops, and have had a great day. They're great with beginner snorkelers as well as advanced, and we've even seen them teach a guy who didn't swim much, had never been snorkeling, to snorkel. In fact, he enjoyed himself so much, he nearly wouldn't get back on the boat at Bird Island!

Jodi

I'm curious as well...honestly, reading the description on the website...it looks like you get more on the "laid back" tour. I've done stingrays in GC and in Belize...so that's not that big a deal to me...but which tour offers more activity?

I think you're right - more "activities" on the Eco Tour. No big, fast, off-shore speed boat, though. That's part of the attraction of the Xtreme. The Xtreme is also the only non-ship excursion to take you to Stringray City. Stingray City in Antigua is less crowded than the one in Grand Caymen, and the guys who run it tell you all about the rays, and stay with you. In Grand Caymen, it's the crew of your boat. Also, there is some snorkeling at the Antigua Stingray City, bot not at the Stingray City in Grand Caymen. I've never been to the one in Belize.

Jodi

We've done both and enjoyed both. On the Eco Tour you have a snorkeling stop, a climb at Hell's Gate, a hike on Bird Island, where they serve lunch (yum, yum), afternoon refreshments (rum punch time :) ) is on the boat, and you tour the offshore islands and the mangrove area. You learn quite a bit about Antigua and its ecology (hence, "Eco-Tour"). You sta in the North Sound area, and the boat goes more slowly (although it doesn't just float from spot to spot).

Jodi

It was three years ago and my memory isn't perfect, but we had more than one snorkel stop. There were at least two, maybe three.

For my money, Eli's is the best darn snorkel excursion in the Carribean. :)

We've done both and enjoyed both. And yes, on the Xtreme, you're going FAST most of the time. That power boat is part of the kick. I think it's worth the extra $$. On the Eco Tour you have a snorkeling stop, a climb at Hell's Gate, a hike on Bird Island, where they serve lunch (yum, yum), afternoon refreshments (rum punch time :) ) is on the boat, and you tour the offshore islands and the mangrove area. You learn quite a bit about Antigua and its ecology (hence, "Eco-Tour"). You sta in the North Sound area, and the boat goes more slowly (although it doesn't just float from spot to spot). On the Xtreme, you go to Stingray City, Green Island (where the same yummy lunch as you get on the Eco-Tour is served, you get a harbor based tour of English Harbor, snorkel at the Pillars of Hercules, near English Harbor, and have a rum punch/other drinks stop at Rendezvous beach. You go around the entire island, and part of the ride is actually in the Atlantic. You go fast - it can be bumpy at times, but it's a blast. You learn a lot as you circle the island, and see a lot, but it isn't Eco-focussed.

They carry life vests, and will help less strong swimmers. My husband has used them. On the Eco-Tour there are usually a couple of options at each of the stops. For instance, at Hell's Gate, you can climb, snorkel, or relax in the tidal pool area, which is kind of like a jacuzzi. And we've been on the tour when people have chosen to basically stay on the boat and relax at all the stops, and have had a great day. They're great with beginner snorkelers as well as advanced, and we've even seen them teach a guy who didn't swim much, had never been snorkeling, to snorkel. In fact, he enjoyed himself so much, he nearly wouldn't get back on the boat at Bird Island!

Jodi

Thanks Jodi!!! You answered ALL my questions! I'm booking the Eco Tour tomorrow! Can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

On the EcoTour I think there's about an hour at the reef, plus you can snorkel at Hells Gate, if you choose, and there's some shallow water snorkeling (nothing real exciting) at Bird Island.

On the Xtreme, there's a little bit - not a lot -at the stringrays, and probably about an hour at Pillars of Hercules.

These are my best recollections - if you e-mail the Adventure Antigua (www.adventureantigua.com) folks, I'm sure they can give you a better idea.

Jodi

Archived