Any suggestions

undecided1

My ship does not get in port until 3:00, does anyone have suggestions on what a family of 4 could do..My children are 5 and 7. It appears that there is no family type of excursions and after 2 days at sea, we will definitely want to get off the ship. Even a place to eat that may be fun...There has to be something to do in the evenings....Help.

Make a bee-line to the El Morro fort (which closes at 5 or 6). Walk down through the city (Cristo street). Detour through the gate of OSJ from the Cathedral and walk along the promenade on the harbor. Eat at the Parrot Club on Forteleza street. (Get a Frommer's guide for help).

BTW - I have 2 kids and walk SJ regularly so it is pretty safe to do so.

I offer a third vote to a family visit at El Morro. The walk to the fort is an excursion in itself. It will be mostly up hill but would offer the kids a chance to stretch their legs. If that sounds like too much of a stretch, grab a taxi at the pier and take the short ride. Cost is minimal.

With any luck, your family will see children and adults flying kites on the expanse of grass leading up to the fort and the view from inside the port out into the harbor is beautiful. Offers some terrific family photo shots.

You can normally find another visitor at the fort more than willing to use your camera to take a family photo of all of you with the beautiful scenery behind you as well.

You can then take a leisurely walk back down the hill and find a restaurant for a family meal together.

El Morro remains one of our top ``on your own'' excursions in the many ports we have visited.

Dianne

Archived