Florida Rental Car

DvsDave

I have been searching the internet for the best deal on a rental car and I would like to share my results.

Dollar Rental Car

www.dollar.com

I used the promo code "kisse" and the price was half of the best deal I could find with anyone else.

I called Dollar customer service to make sure the discount code was

legitimate, because I didn't want to walk in the rental office and find out the code was only for Dollar employees or Florida residents. The code was in an advertisement in the Kissimmee visitors guide, is valid until 12/31/2008, you must make reservations online and is good on car rentals in Florida.

The following were the prices I got for a one day rental from Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami airport. They have a shuttle to the port every 20 minutes.

Add approx. $13 for fees and taxes.

Car Type

Description

Base Rate*

U.S. Dollar (USD)

Economy

Chevrolet Aveo

(or similar)

$19.00 total*

Compact

Dodge Caliber

(or similar)

$21.00 total*

Intermediate

Chrysler Sebring

(or similar)

$24.00 total*

Full Size

Dodge Charger

(or similar)

$29.00 total*

Premium

Chrysler 300

(or similar)

$34.00 total*

Luxury

Chrysler 300 Touring

(or similar)

$49.00 total*

Intermediate SUV

SUV

$44.00 total*

Standard SUV

SUV

Jeep Grand Cherokee

(or similar)

$44.00 total*

Premium SUV

SUV

Dodge Durango

(or similar)

$44.00 total*

Minivan

Van

Dodge Caravan

(or similar)

$39.00 total*

Standard Convertible

Convertible

Chrysler Sebring Convertible

(or similar)

$45.00 total*

I hope this helps out!!

Dave

I'd like to rent from Dollar b/c they are by far the cheapest, but I noticed that they only have a Miami airport location for returning the car before the cruise/picking it up after - is it easy to get from Miami Airport location to the Port?

Someone should tell the Dollar Reps about the free shuttle. I spoke to 4 of them this morning, was hung up on once, once I couldn't understand what they were saying and the other 2 didn't know anything about cruise ships out of Miami. They told me that I have to return the car to MIA and Dollar has no transfer to the ship. I guess it's hard to get good help.

Someone should tell the Dollar Reps about the free shuttle. I spoke to 4 of them this morning, was hung up on once, once I couldn't understand what they were saying and the other 2 didn't know anything about cruise ships out of Miami. They told me that I have to return the car to MIA and Dollar has no transfer to the ship. I guess it's hard to get good help.

Were you talking to the MIA location?

I used the same code to rent a car for our upcoming cruise. We're being picked up at the Miami port and I am dropping off at FLL. Booked online with no problems. Code worked like a charm. $68 for intermediate (including taxes) for 2 days.

Were you talking to the MIA location?

I called a total of 3 different numbers, 2 toll free #'s and I think the other was a Florida # but I don't know where the people were I spoke to. Regardless of what number I called I endend up in the same place with the same choices, (press 1 for this, 2 for that and so on). Maybe it had something to do with calling on the weekend as anyone who knows anything had the day off. One of the people I talked to was very rude and spoke to me as if she thought I was stupid. it doesn't matter though, I forgive her. I'm going on vacation and she has to stay at her desk and answer a phone to tell people about something she knows nothing about!

So when you get off the ship, there is a shuttle that takes you to the Dollar rental. Then you can use the car for what ever number of day and then drop it off at the FLL airport?

Correct! That's what I am doing in early May.

I booked my car through Dollar using this code and saved almost half off! Another great thing about it is, it is a one way rental fron FLL to Mia at no extra charge. I almost booked through Hotwire.com which would have been slightly cheaper, but they only handle one way rentals. I would have had to go back to FLL the day of my cruise to drop off the car there. That would have cost more and waisted alot of time that I would rather be on board checking out the ship!

Just a few questions about returning the car....How far is the MIA Dollar car return from the port? Is it in the airport or outside? What time do you think we should get there? Does the shuttle run often or do they wait for a full load of passengers? Is there a charge? Thanks Dave!!!

I used Hotwire for the first time to rent a car. I am picking up and dropping off in Ft Lauderdale so the one way is not a probelm. I went with a compact for 1 day with all taxes and fees it is $30 for a Hertz.

Last year I used the AAA site and got a Hertz from FLL to the Port in Miami for about $50 for 1 day. The return from the port to FLL was an Alamo for about the same. We ended up paying less for the rentals than what the cruise line was charging for FLL to Port of Miami transfers.

This year the rates are not so good. :rolleyes:

I read on another post where someone got a one with with Priceline.

I looked at the Dollar site and they have a Special location that is Cruise Ship only pick up.

We are going from West Palm Beach to FLL and I just tried using this code. It didn't make any difference in the price - $95 per day (we need it for 2).

Does anyone have any clues?

I tried the "KISSE" code and couldn't get anywhere near the prices you quoted. And when I tried to rent a larger car instead of the cheap economy car, watch out because it's pricey! We have four in our group and on the last cruise we couldn't get all of our luggage into the trunk and had to stuff luggage between the kids in the back seat (and I only packed for 4 days and planned on doing laundry halfway through the cruise).:eek: But after much research we found some good deals. Here's what we found:

Budget Car Rental from Fort Lauderdale airport (one way 24 hour rental) to their location closest to the Miami port on 8th street (pier is on 5th street.) The total including all taxes, fees for an intermediate car is $45.24. :D I used code x793200 for a substantial discount, I've used it numerous times with no problem. They have shuttles running to and from the port from their 8th street location, but even if we miss the shuttle or are in a hurry, it's only a few blocks from the pier and the taxi ride would be less then $10, so I'm not too worried.

The prices back to the airport through Budget were pricey but we found an excellent deal through Avis. We rented from the Avis closest to the Miami cruise pier on 2nd street to the Fort Lauderdale airport for only $38.98 for an intermediate car (final price with taxes, fees, etc.) We used discount code "AWD C031529" (the 0 is a zero) for a substantial discount. On the second page of the reservation process be sure to check the box next to "lowest rate option" and then enter your discount code below. I've heard they have a shuttle, but several cruisers on the boards have said the taxi to/from the pier from this Avis location is only $7 because it's so close. I think instead of waiting in the hot summer sun for a rental car shuttle, we'll just take a quick taxi over to the Avis rental place. You can't beat the car rental price or the convenient location.:)

I hope this info. helps some of you cruisers in a similar predicament as me who can't find any $19 car rentals like the OP did because of the location or perhaps because we're picking up at one location and dropping off at a different location. Maybe the deal is only good at certain Florida locations and the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is not included. Anyway, for whatever reason, the "KISSE" code didn't help me but I found others that did and maybe this info. will help some of you in the same situation as I am.

We are going from West Palm Beach to FLL and I just tried using this code. It didn't make any difference in the price - $95 per day (we need it for 2).

Does anyone have any clues?

What are your dates?

I tried the "KISSE" code and couldn't get anywhere near the prices you quoted. And when I tried to rent a larger car instead of the cheap economy car, watch out because it's pricey! We have four in our group and on the last cruise we couldn't get all of our luggage into the trunk and had to stuff luggage between the kids in the back seat (and I only packed for 4 days and planned on doing laundry halfway through the cruise).:eek: But after much research we found some good deals. Here's what we found:

Budget Car Rental from Fort Lauderdale airport (one way 24 hour rental) to their location closest to the Miami port on 8th street (pier is on 5th street.) The total including all taxes, fees for an intermediate car is $45.24. :D I used code x793200 for a substantial discount, I've used it numerous times with no problem. They have shuttles running to and from the port from their 8th street location, but even if we miss the shuttle or are in a hurry, it's only a few blocks from the pier and the taxi ride would be less then $10, so I'm not too worried.

The prices back to the airport through Budget were pricey but we found an excellent deal through Avis. We rented from the Avis closest to the Miami cruise pier on 2nd street to the Fort Lauderdale airport for only $38.98 for an intermediate car (final price with taxes, fees, etc.) We used discount code "AWD C031529" (the 0 is a zero) for a substantial discount. On the second page of the reservation process be sure to check the box next to "lowest rate option" and then enter your discount code below. I've heard they have a shuttle, but several cruisers on the boards have said the taxi to/from the pier from this Avis location is only $7 because it's so close. I think instead of waiting in the hot summer sun for a rental car shuttle, we'll just take a quick taxi over to the Avis rental place. You can't beat the car rental price or the convenient location.:)

I hope this info. helps some of you cruisers in a similar predicament as me who can't find any $19 car rentals like the OP did because of the location or perhaps because we're picking up at one location and dropping off at a different location. Maybe the deal is only good at certain Florida locations and the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is not included. Anyway, for whatever reason, the "KISSE" code didn't help me but I found others that did and maybe this info. will help some of you in the same situation as I am.

What are your dates?

needing a rental one way from PBI to FLL - Mar 23 - 25 @ noon

then again a one way rental from FLL to PBI - April 4 @ 8AM

March 23-25 is during Easter. You are going to pay more to rent a car. For April 4, the KISSE code works for a low rate.

Our first rental is August 16-17th. Our return rental is August 24th. I don't know of any holidays that would come into play here. In fact,the rentals should go down because most schools are already back into session by then. I tried twice but the "KISSE" deal didn't work for me. :( That's okay though because your quoted price for an intermediate car was $24 plus approximately $13 in additional fees which would be a total of $37. And our rental prices for an intermediate car were $45 for the first rental (final price) and $38 for the return rental (final price.) I'm still happy because I got a pretty similar deal to what you quoted I just used different companies and different codes. I just wanted to share my experiences so that those who ended up in the same situation as I did could still get a good deal.:) Thanks for trying to help me.

So glad I decided to check these boards about renting a car! I used the "KISSE" code for our return trip on March 30 from POM to FLL and got a minivan for the $39 plus those additional charges for a total of $51.43. Now I have to cancel our private van shuttle ($165!). While the latter would have been much more convenient, that's over $100 savings, and we have a later flight so a rental gives us time to do lunch. We're still going to use the private shuttle for the drive to the port because it's Easter weekend and the rental car prices were high.

Thank you!

I was debating just flying into MIA, but it's so much more. So, I tried the KISSE code and it worked. It will save us lots of money flying into FLL and renting a car than flying in to MIA and having to pay for a taxi from Airport to Hotel and from hotel to port. Thanks so much!!! :D :D

Question on the Dollar rentals - maybe it's in here and I'm missing it. I've successfully booked using this code - $19 a day - YAHOO!!! :D But, I'm not sure which Miami location I should be using. We're flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami. We're spending the night before our cruise at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon, and we'll return the car in the AM before we head to the ship. We're currently booked with Avis, but these rates are 1/2 of what I thought my really good rate with Avis was...

Do we just use the Miami Airport location? :confused: Or do we use the special cruise ship one? And then on the flip side - same thing. We're picking up after getting off the ship, and then heading back to FLL. Do we book the Miami Airport Cruise Ship Only option? ]

Anyone that's had experience with this??

Thanks so much in advance!!!

- Jill

When we used the 8th street Budget location in Miami in December they did not shuttle folks to the port. We had to take a taxi. Maybe they've changed since then?

I ended up booking through expedia and found the best rate there for Easter weekend in fll.

Archived