HAL and the GLBT Community

ScottC4746

I am thinking of changing our loyalty from RCCL to HAL, not because of discrimiination or anything, aboslutly not. We went for our honeymoon/10th anniversary and the staff knew about it and supported us. This is mearly a quality thing. How is HAL with respect to the communtiy? It is not like we are Jack from Will and Grace and a purse fall out of our mouth when we talk, but just in general.

My experiences on HAL as part of a gay couple have been nothing but positive. That includes both the all-gay RSVP cruises and ordinary cruises. On one trip a few years ago a same-sex couple we were traveling with celebrated their anniversary with a cake and singing from the waiters without any trouble from the crew. Try it, you'll like it.

My experiences on HAL as part of a gay couple have been nothing but positive. That includes both the all-gay RSVP cruises and ordinary cruises. On one trip a few years ago a same-sex couple we were traveling with celebrated their anniversary with a cake and singing from the waiters without any trouble from the crew. Try it, you'll like it.

The photographers on RCCL try to get us to do back to back friend pose and we tell them, "no, the standard couple pose," and they seem to get it. The reason for the change is we are tired of the floating resort. RCCL is building a new ship, Oasis of the Seas, that is 16 stories high, just under 1/4 mile long and 5400 passangers. Cruising is for relaxing, not crowds.

HAL's crew is quite friendly. FYI, HAL's onboard experience is definitely more in the sedate column. For me, it would be a little too sedate, after experiencing a couple of their ships. You might also think about Celebrity - more sedate and upscale than RCI, but more like a W hotel in terms of mood.

I hate the back to back poses! On Enchantment this past weekend, I just said to the photographer, as we lined up for the formal photo, "no back to back, we're a couple." The first photographer was clearly family and was great. The second one was clearly a bit stiff, but complied. I told my partner I swear it was the same guy we had on Majesty of the Seas in November... compliant but uncomfortable :) Doesn't bother us, the pictures are fine.

HAL's crew is quite friendly. FYI, HAL's onboard experience is definitely more in the sedate column. For me, it would be a little too sedate, after experiencing a couple of their ships. You might also think about Celebrity - more sedate and upscale than RCI, but more like a W hotel in terms of mood.

I hate the back to back poses! On Enchantment this past weekend, I just said to the photographer, as we lined up for the formal photo, "no back to back, we're a couple." The first photographer was clearly family and was great. The second one was clearly a bit stiff, but complied. I told my partner I swear it was the same guy we had on Majesty of the Seas in November... compliant but uncomfortable :) Doesn't bother us, the pictures are fine.

I'm just getting too old (43) for the booze cruises. Looking more for a relaxation type cruise that is high society type and affordable.

I'm just getting too old (43) for the booze cruises. Looking more for a relaxation type cruise that is high society type and affordable.

As Matt suggested, you might want to check out Celebrity. We have been very comfortable, happy and out on Celebrity. Will be trying RCI next, but suspect that, while we will still have a great time, the ambience will not be as classy as we found our two Celebrity cruises to be. We'll see.

David

No offense, but what is it about HAL that you think is "high society?"

If you generally like the RCCL product, but are tired of the rowdiness, look at different times of year (not Spring Break or holidays) and longer cruises. Otherwise:

If it's the 'glitz' that you don't like, HAL appears much more sedate, both in terms of decor and activities (And yet I know some rowdy gay men who mostly sail HAL!).

If you want some old world elegance (or at least some ship designer's version of it) try Cunard. I love their ships, and you can find reasonable fares.

I sail Celebrity a lot, and, while I'm not wild about the decor, since I've yet to find a cruise ship that looks like a New England Grandmother's beach house, I go with what's available...;) The crowd are closer to what I like...older, average in the 40's/50's but with a good mix of all ages, fun without the belly flop contests, and a decent product for the price.

But with all these lines, and even with the premium lines like Crystal and Regent, you are NOT mixing with "High Society." The average cruiser, outside of RSVP/Atlantis, is still the matching sweatpant suit wearing couple from Des Moines, who have ten grandchildren, and a way with their own "Bedazzler" for the his and her jeans...some have done well financially, and can afford more cruises or higher cost cruises, but please be realistic in your expectations. "High Society" doesn't cruise at all, save maybe a crossing or two on Cunard.

Now, I'm not trashing cruisers...I am one! But sometimes people too readily buy into the marketing hype about the differences between the cruise lines. Crystal Cruises has some lovely regular passengers, but I was shocked each and every time by how "Middle America" is was, versus my expectations from brochures...and, yes, price. (and yes, I consider myself middle class, so that's not a jab either.) And talk about clothing that was 'bedazzled!" O.k., so it was done by a boutique owner in Dallas, not at home, but, MY WORD, there were so AMAZING sparling sweatshirts!:eek: And, sad to say, on each line, a lot of people who were rowdier than I wanted, and, too, less active than I wanted. We each have our own level of need for activity, socializing, amenities, and the best thing to do is to try the lines out over the years, and find the best fit.

Good luck...it's a great way to travel.

Andrew

HAL is more comatose than relaxation. Not as much high society as olddddd society.

Great food though!

I'm 45 (partner is 42) and RCCL and Celebrity are pretty close to our demographic.

Mike

My partner and I love HAL. Now keep in mind we have only sailed three times...twice on HAL and once on Princess. We have found that HAL is not a party ship atmosphere. There can be an older crowd or younger crowd...just depends on the sailing (but tends toward the older)...but we've always seemed to make acquaintance with a few (straight) couples that we would end up having cocktails with every evening prior to dinner.

We found HAL to be a bit more refined and elegant than Princess (although we really liked Princess as well). The best way that I can describe this difference is by this dining analogy...on Princess we felt like we were just eating dinner...on HAL we feel like we're dining. I know that may sound strange, but that is how we've described it to people and they understood.

We found the staff to be very accommodating and "normal" to us. I don't know how straight people are treated, but I can't imagine that we were treated any differently.

As far as the photographers...we always have the normal pose, but they always try to get us to do the back to back as well. We just told them no back to back and they were fine with it. On our first sailing the lead photographer and another junior photographer were photographing us. The junior photographer said "you two look like brothers" (we get that all the time)...and the head photographer said "No, they look like a couple." I thought that was pretty cool.

We are booked for Eurodam in February and are very much looking forward to their new ship.

Well, I frankly disagree with everyone who knocks HAL for their "demographic." I have thoroughly enjoyed my cruises on HAL and there were always plenty of thirty and forty year olds on board in addition to a fair number of twentysomethings. The fact that there were few children and liquored up booze hounds that RCI, NCL, and Carnival seem to attract was an added bonus. HAL is (thankfully) low key for a major line, and I for one am glad there are no wet tee shirt contests or belly flop in the pool contests or lounges designed to put one in mind of ancient Egypt or, worse yet, lounges that look like a loud color palette threw up on the ship.

Well, I frankly disagree with everyone who knocks HAL for their "demographic." I have thoroughly enjoyed my cruises on HAL and there were always plenty of thirty and forty year olds on board in addition to a fair number of twentysomethings. The fact that there were few children and liquored up booze hounds that RCI, NCL, and Carnival seem to attract was an added bonus. HAL is (thankfully) low key for a major line, and I for one am glad there are no wet tee shirt contests or belly flop in the pool contests or lounges designed to put one in mind of ancient Egypt or, worse yet, lounges that look like a loud color palette threw up on the ship.

I love that about the color palette. Some of these ships you can tell everyone who is a friend of Dorothy...we are the ones walking around saying, "OW! My eyes! The colors!"

Oh I can so relate. HAL has a reputation for being sedate with an older crowd but that is not always the case. My experience with HAL has been nothing but positive. Somehow they knew we were a couple before we stepped on board and we arrived in our cabin with the beds made up as a queen instead of the twin bed thing. Our steward was very receptive to us and took great care. We had no problems with service anywhere and had good experiences with the passengers we dined with.

You'll likely like HAL.

David

Who likes sedate!:)

We tried HAL for the same reasons that you cite. We found it was not so much hip as it was hip replacement. I have never been bored on a cruise but definitely was on HAL. The ship is dull, the activities are dull and the nightlife was as well. We were on a weeklong cruise on their newest class of ship. I would recommend you try Celebrity if you're feeling crowded out on RCL.

In terms of pictures, we've had our best experiences on Celebrity. On our Century cruise, the photographer asked if we wanted a picture holding hands.

I have never been bored on a cruise but definitely was on HAL. The ship is dull, the activities are dull and the nightlife was as well. We were on a weeklong cruise on their newest class of ship.

This is where its definitely to each his own. We were never bored on HAL and too were on the new Vista class of ship. Entertainment was pretty uninspiring (Cunard and Carnival were much better with the shows) but there was enough to keep us active on the ship and we loved our experience. Despite its reputation as a floating retirement home, we travelled with many our age - I'm in my mid 40s now. In fact, we are going back on HAL next year with no hesitation.

So the bottom line is that its the OP that must decide what is right for his lifestyle. HAL is not for everyone just as RCCL is not for everyone.

David

We had no problems with HAL at all. As for the activity level...I cant really comment on it since we never look for the ship/staff to entertain us. A cruiseline/ship cant be everything to everyone AND SHOULDNT TRY. The ships are beautiful, the service is friendly and there seems to be more of an "oceanliner" feel onboard. We were never bored. As for RCCL, the last cruise with them was on Explorer Of The Seas...too big...too impersonal...too many kids...too much like a mall. Everything we were trying to get away from. Never again.

So the bottom line is that its the OP that must decide what is right for his lifestyle. HAL is not for everyone just as RCCL is not for everyone.

David

I totally agree. It might be helpful if the OP said what they liked about RCL, where they have previously been loyal, since RCL and HAL definitely have different strengths.

When we sailed Westerdam, we said we would never sail HAL again except for possibly a gay charter, which would correct some of the issues we faced (horrible entertainment, very scant (large print) entertainment schedule. In the interest of balance, I will say that the HAL cabins and food were much nicer than RCL but otherwise, it's just not there for us. We actually had another passenger ask us if we were traveling with family and when we said no, she asked why we would pick a ship full of old farts (her phrase).

We do look to the cruise line to entertain us. That's a part of what we pay for when we sign up.

The only entertainment I would love is a chamber orchestra tucked away somewhere. I love Classical Music but can't find much of it on RCCL which is why I am looking at HAL.

If that is your taste, you might like it. There was a string quartet playing after dinner, although I've read that they may have cut that back. Most if the entertainment on HAL was similar in tone to other mass market cruises we've sailed (our one-week cruise featured a broadway review, an unbelievably cheesy production show of dance from around the world, a magic show, a bad Elton John impersonator, an American Idol competition, and two comedians), it was just done on a smaller scale, owing to the passenger count, I presume.

Your question was about GLBT issues, though, so I apologize for the tangent. There was one Friends of Dorothy party during our cruise but since it was scheduled for during our seating of dinner, we didn't get to attend.

If that is your taste, you might like it. There was a string quartet playing after dinner, although I've read that they may have cut that back. Most if the entertainment on HAL was similar in tone to other mass market cruises we've sailed (our one-week cruise featured a broadway review, a magic show, a bad Elton John impersonator, an American Idol competition, and two comedians), it was just done on a smaller scale, owing to the passenger count, I presume.

Your question was about GLBT issues, though, so I apologize for the tangent. There was one Friends of Dorothy party during our cruise but since it was scheduled for during our seating of dinner, we didn't get to attend.

Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
We found it was not so much hip as it was hip replacement.

You're terrible, Muriel. :rolleyes:

I'm doing HAL Westerdam 10/19 and I'm expecting a more relaxed pace -- but sounds like the food and environment will be slightly more fabulous than the average cruise. My only prior cruise was RCCL and it was a blah mix of folks.

I'm hoping the length (7 nights) and cost (cheap!) will attract a younger crowd than usual. If not, at least no fighting over pool chairs!

You have gotten some great information and advice here and I guess I may as well add mine !! :)

I like both Holland America and Royal Caribbean for different reasons and should say that I've never had a bad cruise. I've got over 100 days with HAL and am Diamond with RCI. Both lines have a good attitude toward our community from my experience. HAL seems to cater to us a bit more by offering better FOD gatherings and lunches. Why be loyal to one line though? In looking for good bargains, both lines offer some great opportunities. However, IMHO, HAL seems to offer better and more interesting itineraries once you get away from the usual 'get-away' and 'warm-weather vacations'. Once aboard, HAL has much better food, bathroom amenities, storage space, and professional Dining Room staff. RCI, on the other hand offers a much more diverse staff in all areas of the ship, great activities, and a fantastic loyalty program. Gym workout facilities are comparable for the most part with a few exceptions and the coffee is great on both lines.

Happy Sailing to all !!! :)

Jack

Hello,

We have sailed on HAL quite a bit and have always found them to be extremely warm and welcoming. And, the value is truly there for the money.

We did two Celebrity cruises and expected them to be over the top, and found the quality of the HAL cruise experience to equal and, in some instances, exceed Celebrity. And as a male couple, HAL actually made us feel much more welcomed. The other aspect of Celebrity which we didn't like was the constant "up-sell" pressure, especially since we had already plunked down $$$ for a 600+ square foot two-room suite on a Copenhagen to San Juan itinerary!

My partner and I have sailed 3x on HAL and have thoroughly enjoyed it. But we dont need to be entertained all the time either. We are in our mid-forties and enjoy the quiet atmosphere and the elegance. I dont think we would ever go on an Atlantis cruise. We have always met interesting people both gay and straight On the Veendam a couple of years ago there were a good size group of guys that met in the piano bar every evening (the man who played the piano kind of led all the FOD meetings) and had a great time. We celebrated our 10th anniversay aboard the Zaandam and the waiters brought out a cake to us for dinner and all our tablemates who had been strangers celebrated with us. For us it is agreat cruise line and we will remain loyal to them.

We are a couple 39/46 who thoroughly enjoyed our Canada/New England sailing on HAL in 2006. We were surprised that there were not a lot of "family" on board. Nobody we interacted with seemed to have a problem with us, except perhaps the couple who were trying to figure us out as we stepped off the elevator on the last morning of the cruise.

:confused: man: So what do you think? Father and son? Brothers?

:rolleyes: woman: I dunno...

I was also surprised that they did not have an advertised FOD meeting on board. I understand that they will allow interested parties to host one, but they may not print it in the ship's program. Cunard had two advertised FOD events on a 6 day transatlantic crossing and they were very well attended.

Looking forward to our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam, November 8, 2008.

Archived