Anyone do door signs?

pierces

We have taken to doing the door signs for our cabin. It seemed silly to me at first, but Wonderful Wife thought it would be cute, sooooo.....

I soon found that finding your cabin during a 300 ft. walk down the hall was a lot easier and we even got thanks from neighbors for the "street sign". Our first one was a craft project and was very "cutsie", but I thought that something classier was in order. All of the following were printed at 8½x11 on photo paper and glued to an 8½x11 sheet of magnetic "paper". they stuck to the doors just fine and really looked great.

Here's a brief history:

Radiance repositioner.

medium.jpg

Repositioner - for our first time cruise buddies!

medium.jpg

For our New Zealand to Hawaii island-hop:

medium.jpg

For our friends son and his girlfriend's Mexican Riviera cruise,

(We did before dinner and after dinner versions!)

Before:

medium.jpg

After:

medium.jpg

Maybe a C.C.P.I.C.S. Class? :D

dAVE

How creative are you!!!! Those are sooo cool. Gives me some ideas for next cruise - not planned or booked yet...(still kinda recovering from cruising during IKE:eek:) but definitely gives me some ideas.

(BTW, going to jump in on the classes, been following along, just haven't had time to do the Picasa or Shutterfly or whatever thing...:p)

How do you make a file small enough to add to this thread? I did a door sign for our roll call group, but when I try to attach it, it tells me it is to large.

I went into Word and made the sign very small and resaved it. But when I come back to this site it tells me it is still to big??

How do you make a file small enough to add to this thread? I did a door sign for our roll call group, but when I try to attach it, it tells me it is to large.

I went into Word and made the sign very small and resaved it. But when I come back to this site it tells me it is still to big??

The files are hosted on my photo-sharing site and not uploaded directly.

I did a little article on re-sizing photos here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchResize.htm

Might help. :D

Dave

Hey Dave,

I did them for our Miracle cruise last November. Did several different styles and gave them as gifts to everyone. The bummer was that the doors weren't metal. So magnet idea didn't work. I printed them on the magnetic photo paper. Worked great. And didn't bring tape to tape them to the door. So we had them in the room on the metal walls. But they are fun.

• 4 months later...

Ready to leave on the next trip.

Decided to go with our usual beverage theme with a nod to current events...

original.jpg

On a sad note, our Solstice door sign was stolen on the third day out!

Don't know whether to be angry or flattered! :(

original.jpg

Still, it's fun designing and making them.

Dave

Hi Dave:

I want to learn how to make a door sign like yours. Would you please do a class for us? :o

Linda

Maybe a good subject for the upcoming basic editing class?

Hmmmm...

Great source for magnetic photo paper:

http://www.ldproducts.com/Compatible...l?printer=2666

Works out to about $1.50 per sheet with shipping and tax instead of $4-$5 like Office Depot and Staples. Very good print quality! The LD magnets print just like good photo paper.

Dave

Here's one I designed using The Print Shop. I also sent a coordinating design (which included dates, ship, and ports) to Cafe Press, where the folks on our roll call have ordered shirts, etc. I have another one where people can insert their screen names.

2520122820027101998S425x425Q85.jpg

I don't know if I'll put one on our cabin door. I've requested a gallon of distilled water for DH's C-PAP machine, and we'll probably have a red "Oxygen in Use" sign on the door. No problem finding the cabin at night. :rolleyes:

I like yours, Dave, very classy. I'll have to try using a real photo someday!

Wow! These signs are so well done - snazzy and professional looking. :D I, too, would love to know how Dave makes his.

Compared to yours, I think mine are technologically basic. Here's one from a couple of years ago. I printed them on colored 8-1/2x11 card stock. From these boards I learned about the non-metal doors, so I knew magnets wouldn't work. :)

Costa has these little mail boxes mounted on the wall outside of each cabin. So I went prepared holes punched in the signs and lots of dollar-store ribbon (and extra signs for those that disappeared). Everyone loved that they could see their cabin while coming down those corridors. FYI - We were a group of family and friends within a large group that had half the ship.

Cruise2007DoorSign-rev.jpg.3baa3eb89ede5cdddbbf62c6df5e8f03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We have taken to doing the door signs for our cabin. It seemed silly to me at first, but Wonderful Wife thought it would be cute, sooooo.....

I soon found that finding your cabin during a 300 ft. walk down the hall was a lot easier and we even got thanks from neighbors for the "street sign". Our first one was a craft project and was very "cutsie", but I thought that something classier was in order. All of the following were printed at 8½x11 on photo paper and glued to an 8½x11 sheet of magnetic "paper". they stuck to the doors just fine and really looked great.

Here's a brief history:

dAVE

Great signs Dave. :)

(I've done some real basic Cruise Critter signs for our previous cruises, but these are really nice. And I just used scotch tape to hold them up. :o Ooops)

And I like your magnetic-backing idea.

. From these boards I learned about the non-metal doors, so I knew magnets wouldn't work. ...

Oh. non-metallic doors??

Does anyone know if the Serenade has metal cabin doors?

(I thought they all were metal) :o

Great signs Dave. :)

(I've done some real basic Cruise Critter signs for our previous cruises, but these are really nice. And I just used scotch tape to hold them up. :o Ooops)

And I like your magnetic-backing idea.

Oh. non-metallic doors??

Does anyone know if the Serenade has metal cabin doors?

(I thought they all were metal) :o

We've put signs on the metal doors fo the Radiance and it is a sister/clone of the Serenade.

Dave

We've put signs on the metal doors fo the Radiance and it is a sister/clone of the Serenade.

Dave

OK - great. Thanks ;)

Good to know. We'll look at either the magnetic route,

or the post-it-note-type route.

I'll post a pic once we git'er'done. :D

Dave,

Thanks for the ideas. On our last cruise our roll call had a sign that I redesigned.

It was cutesy with clip art.

However I love your idea of using photos.

I have a few months till Alaska to work on it.

Thanks

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

Archived