Queen Victoria Deck 5 (or6)

Fleetwood15

Hi

Re Queen Victoria.

On deck 5 and deck 6 likewise, does anyone happen to know if the port and starboard corridors are dead ends at the forward end? In other words can you walk up the starboard corridor to the end and cross over to the port side? If you can, is it a corridor with a blank wall or are there windows facing front? Some of the cruises coming up are getting full but there are the occasional forward cabins free. Not sure that I would like one in a dead end. But I don't like the thought of an aft cabin. There always seems to be a noisy area towards the rear. Anyone had any cabins near the lifts?

Hi

Re Queen Victoria.

On deck 5 and deck 6 likewise, does anyone happen to know if the port and starboard corridors are dead ends at the forward end? In other words can you walk up the starboard corridor to the end and cross over to the port side? If you can, is it a corridor with a blank wall or are there windows facing front? Some of the cruises coming up are getting full but there are the occasional forward cabins free. Not sure that I would like one in a dead end. But I don't like the thought of an aft cabin. There always seems to be a noisy area towards the rear. Anyone had any cabins near the lifts?

If you look at the Deck plans for Deck 5, it does look as if it is a dead end. Our cabin was Deck 5 Forward Port Side and that was one thing that really concerned me. It looks as if you can't get to the A elevator, but you can. I found it very quiet and convenient, if you end your evening at the Commodore Club. It was a great location. One other thing, we chose Deck 5 as opposed to Deck 6 because Deck 6 is just below the promenade deck.

5.gif

If you look at the Deck plans for Deck 5, it does look as if it is a dead end.

The forward end of 5 Deck is effectively a dead end for passengers. I think there are access doors at the forward end of each corridor but the area that they open onto is crew only (it contains a small pool and some seating). 6 Deck and 7 Deck, however, are different. In both cases there is passenger access to a small curved section of open deck looking directly forward over the bow of the ship. I've inserted an image of this area (6 Deck) below and you can see that it's pretty spartan as far as facilities are concerned. Toward the extreme ends of this section of open deck are two of the normal bench type seats but, apart from that, there are no passenger facilities of any kind. Also, the access doors are normally secured while the ship is on passage - I imagine this is because of the strong headwind over the deck. I think that the two cabins farthest forward on 6 Deck have a somewhat restricted view forward over the bows but I'm not sure about 7 Deck. One slight disadvantage of being in the forward cabins, in my view, would be the fact that the access doors are closed by an exceptionally strong spring and, if they are not allowed to close under control, the resulting bang is quite spectacularly loud (I know - I confess my guilt!).

J

009_6_deck.jpg

The forward end of 5 Deck is effectively a dead end for passengers. I think there are access doors at the forward end of each corridor but the area that they open onto is crew only (it contains a small pool and some seating). 6 Deck and 7 Deck, however, are different. In both cases there is passenger access to a small curved section of open deck looking directly forward over the bow of the ship. I've inserted an image of this area (6 Deck) below and you can see that it's pretty spartan as far as facilities are concerned. Toward the extreme ends of this section of open deck are two of the normal bench type seats but, apart from that, there are no passenger facilities of any kind. Also, the access doors are normally secured while the ship is on passage - I imagine this is because of the strong headwind over the deck. I think that the two cabins farthest forward on 6 Deck have a somewhat restricted view forward over the bows but I'm not sure about 7 Deck. One slight disadvantage of being in the forward cabins, in my view, would be the fact that the access doors are closed by an exceptionally strong spring and, if they are not allowed to close under control, the resulting bang is quite spectacularly loud (I know - I confess my guilt!).

J

009_6_deck.jpg

OH, I see the decks. WOW!!! I fear I made a blonde mistake. My excuse, it was really early. I think I placed deck plans for QM2. Sorry!:o

OH, I see the decks. WOW!!! I fear I made a blonde mistake. My excuse, it was really early. I think I placed deck plans for QM2. Sorry!:o

Ah but Gail, maybe the OP will want to travel on QM2 one day. In which case you have already answered the question. Remember the 7 Ps

J

Hi

Re Queen Victoria.

Anyone had any cabins near the lifts?

We were right near the lifts on the QV on deck 4 and had no problems at all with noise. I do hope you get to go on the QV, she may not look like much from the outside, but is really lovely inside, and we had a fantastic time. I wish we were on her now!

Thanks very much for your input guys. This is a great site for the minor details that everyone needs to find out now and then. About the banging door - maybe I could live with an occasional slam - much better than continuous steel partition rattle on QM2 enclosed cabins in a gale!

I thought there was a credit crunch on - I've never seen cabins disappear so fast for the springtime cruises.

I'd like to compare decks

I know this doesn't make one ounce of sense. I have done everything, short of standing on my head, in order to get the Manage Attachment Box to work, but it just won't. I have a nice picture of the real teak deck on the QM2 to compare with the fake stuff, but I guess I just won't be able to post it. Sorry once again. I guess it just isn't my day!!!

Gail:)

Actually while we are on the subject of forward cabins on QV am I to undersatnd that some of these have metal balconies. If so does anyone know which they are on deck 6. I take it the metal bit is instead of the glass frontage.

2345242830055338351S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't think any balconies on QV are "hull holes" such as are found on QM2. As seen in this photo, they all appear to be glass-fronted.

I thought there was a credit crunch on - I've never seen cabins disappear so fast for the springtime cruises.

Maybe everyone needs a cruise to relieve the terrible stress brought on by the present economic situation. Have you decided on a specific cruise yet or are you still at the decision making stage?

J

2345242830055338351S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't think any balconies on QV are "hull holes" such as are found on QM2. As seen in this photo, they all appear to be glass-fronted.

The ones with the metal fronted balconies are the forward cabins on 4 deck extending from just aft of the "4" in your blue label to just aft of the "D" in Cunard. The midships cabins on 4 deck are those from which the view is obstructed by the lifeboats. The lifeboats are lowered slightly in your photograph so this isn't as obvious as it would be normally.

J

The ones with the metal fronted balconies are the forward cabins on 4 deck extending from just aft of the "4" in your blue label to just aft of the "D" in Cunard. The midships cabins on 4 deck are those from which the view is obstructed by the lifeboats. The lifeboats are lowered slightly in your photograph so this isn't as obvious as it would be normally.

J

Aha! I didn't know that there were forward balconies on Four. Deckplans don't always make it clear.

I wouldn't mind a "Lifeboat Balcony", but I know some people can't deal with them... icon12.gif

Even in the middle of the Atlantic in winter I still used my balcony for an afternoon beer, dressed in all my layers and hat, scarf, glove... icon7.gif

The two forward facing cabins on Six are interesting.

The two forward facing cabins on Six are interesting.

Many thanks for posting the photos. The bow shot illustrates perfectly many of the points we were discussing yesterday. I hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty of adding a few more labels. Cabins 6.003 (stbd) and 6.004 (port) are the ones that are advertised on the Cunard deckplans as having "forward facing oceanviews", but you can see that this is restricted to a single, rather small window. The cabins themselves are slightly unusual as their long axes are parallel to the corridor. You can also just see from your photo that access is occasionally possible through the gym to another forward facing deck section above the bridge. However, that appears to be secured more often than the areas on 6 and 7 decks.

Jimmy

BowviewQV.jpg

Those photos of QV are great, very informative with the labels.

Well I've been trying to decide between a port side deck 6 and a starboard side deck 7. Both cabins acually work out to be in the exact same position but just one deck level apart and one port and the other starboard. I've chosen the starboard deck 7 but it's possibly ealy enough to do a change over- if the other one is still free. What would any of you chosen?

Those photos of QV are great, very informative with the labels.

Well I've been trying to decide between a port side deck 6 and a starboard side deck 7. Both cabins acually work out to be in the exact same position but just one deck level apart and one port and the other starboard. I've chosen the starboard deck 7 but it's possibly ealy enough to do a change over- if the other one is still free. What would any of you chosen?

For our next cruise we have a port side balcony on 7 Deck. Last time out we had a starboard side balcony on 5 Deck. Both cabins are pretty near the stern. I was happy with the 5 Deck cabin which was extremely quiet, and convenient for the lifts. If the cabin you have booked is a standard balcony, then I'm pretty sure you won't find that there is much to choose between any of them - they are a great deal more standardised than the cabins on QE2 for instance.

J

If you look at the Deck plans for Deck 5, it does look as if it is a dead end. Our cabin was Deck 5 Forward Port Side and that was one thing that really concerned me. It looks as if you can't get to the A elevator, but you can. I found it very quiet and convenient, if you end your evening at the Commodore Club. It was a great location. One other thing, we chose Deck 5 as opposed to Deck 6 because Deck 6 is just below the promenade deck.

5.gif

This does not look like the deck 5 layout on the Queen Victoria. I had cabin 5192 on the QV this past June and it was one of a few aft cabins that overlook the stern of the ship. Are you sure that this is not the deck plan of the QM2?

Archived