Upgrade Taken Away

I need some help. We have 8 Cabins booked on The Enchantment for May 21. 5 of these are Diamond Cruisers. We originally booked an Inside Guarantee and were given a Cabin Number. After about 3 Weeks and final Payment i checked and had been upgraded to a Large Outside Cabin along with my 2 Daughters who were cruising with their significant others or Spouses. I thought this was great. Then yesterday my TA received a call saying that it was a computer glitch and we shouldn't have been upgraded. They moved us to an inside cabin on Deck 2. I know that someone out there has Mr Goldstein's email address. I would like to write him and let him know that i think this is poor customer service. I am a business owner and the last thing i would do is take something away from a long time loyal customer. If someone can help me please let me know.

You booked an inside guarantee and you got an inside gaurantee. I don't see where you have the issue. There is no reason for you to expect an upgrade, and the fact that they assigned and then re-assigned your cabin is of no consequence. It happens.

We too are booked on a cruise on the Enchantment.This will be the first time in an inside cabin (also on deck 2).I pray every day for an upgrade.However, if it doesn't happen then oh well! I'm sure we will get exactly what we paid for.As for having your upgrade taken away,it shows poor customer relations on behalf of RCI.I would not let this ruin your cruise.

agoldstein@rccl.com should work for you but I have to say I'm not really sure what you hope to accomplish by emailing him. Sometimes you need to start from the bottom and work up. When you start at the top, often you appear to be someone who is overreacting to a situation and they will blow you off. Why not calmly call customer service, then speak with a manager. And remember that you catch more flies with honey.

It IS lousy customer service to give something and then take it away. It is one thing to hope for an upgrade, but it is entirely another to be assigned a cabin then have it downgraded.

But how long was it until they caught the error? If it was an overnight thing, then I'd let it go. If it was weeks and weeks then I think you've got a real complaint.

My suggestion would be to get on a 3-way call with your TA and Customer Service and see what they can do. Writing to the CEO is probably not going to change anything - your letter may not be read for weeks. But a supervisor at Customer Service may be able to make more immediate changes.

I have spoken to Customer Service already and they have said there is nothing that can be done about it. They suggested a 3 way with the TA and then in the next sentence said it would not do any good anyway. The upgraded cabins had been assigned for about a week. As for getting what I paid for, I fully realize that. My only beef is that after 16 Cruises with RCCL and never an upgrade it was nice to see for a change. I believe that when your company makes a mistake you stand by it and let the customer know you appreciate their business but this may not happen again in the future. That is the way I run my business because the customer is always right and I want them to come back.

I have spoken to Customer Service already and they have said there is nothing that can be done about it. They suggested a 3 way with the TA and then in the next sentence said it would not do any good anyway. The upgraded cabins had been assigned for about a week. As for getting what I paid for, I fully realize that. My only beef is that after 16 Cruises with RCCL and never an upgrade it was nice to see for a change. I believe that when your company makes a mistake you stand by it and let the customer know you appreciate their business but this may not happen again in the future. That is the way I run my business because the customer is always right and I want them to come back.

In theory I can't fault your logic, but in practice, let us just say that they had doubly assigned your cabin, I guess they do not have a lot of choice, however rather than work of the principle that "the customer is always right" (because at the end of the day, he just isn't), maybe they should simply look at your history with them and reward your loyalty.

Sorry, I don't see any justification for this complaint. It's not uncommon for guaranty cabins to be changed after they've been assigned. It happens all the time. Do you really expect to be in a cabin they can sell at a higher price because they put your reservation number on it for a week? It's not like you were unpacking and then told "Oh sorry, we made a mistake."

Sorry, I don't see any justification for this complaint. It's not uncommon for guaranty cabins to be changed after they've been assigned. It happens all the time. Do you really expect to be in a cabin they can sell at a higher price because they put your reservation number on it for a week? It's not like you were unpacking and then told "Oh sorry, we made a mistake."

I totally agree..it happens with guarantee cabins. I don't understand why people pay for one thing but expect another. RCCL has more repeat cruisers than most cruise lines, so even a Diamond Cruiser is a small fish in a big pond....

Would you have posted if the room have been changed to a suite?, probably not. You were never really upgraded, when you but an interior guarantee, you are guaranteed at least an interior cabin, anywhere on the ship. The fact that they allocated you a larger cabin, does not constitute an upgrade, it was what you paid for, and even after the change, you have got what you paid for.

Thank you all for your input. I realize that RCCL is perfectly in there rights since I booked an Inside Guarantee to wait until 3 days before the cruise and give me the worse cabin available in the catagory booked. My beef is it is not good customer service to give something and then take it away. If they had never assigned me any cabin in the catagory until right before the cruise I would never have posted anything about this. I have never complained on any cruise I have ever taken which numbers about 30 Total on all Cruise Lines. I have always preferred and recommended RCCL because of there superior overall Cruise experience. I just think this was not the way to handle it

Thank you all for your input. I realize that RCCL is perfectly in there rights since I booked an Inside Guarantee to wait until 3 days before the cruise and give me the worse cabin available in the catagory booked. My beef is it is not good customer service to give something and then take it away. If they had never assigned me any cabin in the catagory until right before the cruise I would never have posted anything about this. I have never complained on any cruise I have ever taken which numbers about 30 Total on all Cruise Lines. I have always preferred and recommended RCCL because of there superior overall Cruise experience. I just think this was not the way to handle it

But that's how guarantees work...they can be assigned at any time, and unfortunatly they may change.....

Firstly I am not flaming you, its just an obsevation and IMHO but shouldnt you know of this after 16 cruises:confused:. I only have 5 under my belt and was made aware of this after my second cruise.

I understand your dissapointment. Maybe they will still do something for you. Maybe not on the level of upgrading to a large outside cabin, but something. I understand why they did what they did, but dissapointing nonetheless.

Sorry this happened, and I think some of the people who are telling you "too bad!" like to be the bearers of bad news.

I have worked retail for many years, and if I tell a customer something, even in error, it falls on me to fix it to the customers satisfaction. I have cruised many times, and booked guarantees on many of them. I have had my cabin changed, but ALWAYS moved up as the sailing date got closer. Never have they given me a cabin and then downgraded me! I think it's not nice, giving something and then taking it away. If they are not 100% sure that your cabin will be the one on your reservation (or possibly a better one), they should not even list it on your reservation until they are sure.

My thoughts are that they have to start "plugging" in all of the guarantees at some point in order to really know what they have left to work with;) Once they see this, they know what to push or down play as necessary to make it all work. Any one who writes work schedules for a large number of people knows what I mean.....until you see it down in black and white, you can make a mistake and sell something you don't have:o

when you were upgraded, was an actual cabin number assigned? Your category was just upgraded, right?

The thing about guarantees is yes, they can change a few times before sailing. It depends on what the demand is for assigned cabins. IF people were willing to pay for ASSIGNED ocean view cabins then of course they are gonna sell them and move you back down.

I totally agree..it happens with guarantee cabins. I don't understand why people pay for one thing but expect another. RCCL has more repeat cruisers than most cruise lines, so even a Diamond Cruiser is a small fish in a big pond....

So true, hence the changes to the Diamond level benefits. It is good for RCCL to have a strong following.

I can appreciate the frustration of thinking you are getting an upgrade and then it falls through. I am a platinum member and I have seen people

with less status (Gold) getting upgrades and it really annoys me.

I was in a Balcony Guarantee on the Navigator in December. I was told

by RCCL staff (before I made my final payment) that I could choose

whatever cabin I wanted within 1 week of sailing (within the Balcony

category, not suites). Okay, so within 1 week of sailing I saw a bunch

of high category balcony cabins and you know what the RCCL said to me,

If you are guessing "they deny this option available to guarantee cabins"

you would be right!!! What also irked me was that I paid for a guarantee for $575 which was pretty good for a balcony, even the lowest category

balcony. Well, 1 day here comes a SALES EVENT and they are offering

225 sq ft high category cabins for $575.00. I called RCCL and I was told

yes we can change you and then I was told no by a supervisor who the

RCCL person (who said yes) had to consult with when the computer refused to allow the change. So I called a few more times and a few

more people and I was told this was for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. So,

once again no matter what 1 says, another could come along and throw

a monkey wrench into it.

I am on the Enchantment booked in November 2009. Havings witnessed

so many people getting upgrades I think its mine turned now. What are

the chances? Don't know. I think it depends on a lot of variables, maybe

how much of the ship is booked. If they are at 100% the chances are

nil. 1 person I know got upgraded was not even a platinum grade member.

He booked back to back cruises through a travel agent, He was on a

4 night cruise with my friends and I and then reboarded in the afternoon

our ship came back. He was booked in a balcony cabin and was upgraded

to a Junior Suite on the 1st cruise but upon reboarding they said that

he had to move to his original cabin category. They helped him move his

stuff but the point is that he did something most people do not do.

I hope I get upgraded but I will not count on it. All I can say is that

if you get an upgrade do not get too excited until you are actually

at the pier and the cabin shows up on the ship manifest. Obviously RCCL

can and do pull the upgrades at the last minute so you just have to

accept and enjoy your cruise. Maybe when they pulled the passenger's

upgrade at the last minute it was because some bigshot in the RCCL Corp

said they wanted to go on the ship. You never know,

I am sorry to say after 35 cruises with RCCL, I have never gotten an upgrade.

You booked an inside guarantee and you got an inside gaurantee. I don't see where you have the issue. There is no reason for you to expect an upgrade, and the fact that they assigned and then re-assigned your cabin is of no consequence. It happens.

Agreed! You have the option of picking your cabin but if not it will be assigned. Case closed.

The OP wasn't expecting an upgrade - she got one. Then it was revoked. I would be pretty annoyed, too.

In 50 cruises on RCI I have gotten one upgrade, for Diamond Plus, and had to fight for it - I have 75 credits, and that's the order in which they call people to offer upgrades. I was skipped, as were at least two friends. It took quite a few phone calls to convince C&A that I was "worthy." Really bad customer service, IMHO.

Archived