Whale watching Juneau or Icy Strait Point?

MediterreanBound

Ok, Im looking through the available excursions and we know we want to do a whale watching one .. .Most posts seem to suggest them out of Juneau. .but I also see them available in Icy Strait.. There seems to be little to do in Icy Strait.. Im curious what others have done there .. to fill the stop?

Ok, Im looking through the available excursions and we know we want to do a whale watching one .. .Most posts seem to suggest them out of Juneau. .but I also see them available in Icy Strait.. There seems to be little to do in Icy Strait.. Im curious what others have done there .. to fill the stop?

Icy Strait Point is the best place to do whale watching (Juneau is also very good). We are booked with Glacier Wind. Both F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind get rave reviews. They use small boats (6 passengers) so they can provide very personalized service.

Don't use the cruise line's excursion in Icy Strait Point. They use a large boat (100 - 130 passengers), and it's very difficult to maneuver from one side of the boat to the other, to get that great picture of the whale that just breached.

We love to do whale watching or bear search in ISP. We have used TECKK Outfitters many times and have always had a great tour. Contact Keith or Edna through their website, www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com. After you go on your tour, stop by the Office Bar and get some fresh dungeoness crab or stop in Grandma Nina's for an ice cream cone! We love Hoonah and will be there again in August to do all these again! Can't wait!

We love to do whale watching or bear search in ISP. We have used TECKK Outfitters many times and have always had a great tour. Contact Keith or Edna through their website, www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com. After you go on your tour, stop by the Office Bar and get some fresh dungeoness crab or stop in Grandma Nina's for an ice cream cone! We love Hoonah and will be there again in August to do all these again! Can't wait!

It's my understanding that Keith just started doing whale watching, since he got his new boat. He is the best for bear sightings, but for whale watching, I would stick with Glacier Wind or F.I.S.H.E.S.

Have you been to The Crab Station? It just opened in June 2008.

TECKK Outfitters has been doing whale watches, fishing, hunting and bear watches for years! He just has a brand new boat for this year. He is a lifelong resident of Hoonah and will take you to the best spots whether it be on land or sea!

TECKK Outfitters has been doing whale watches, fishing, hunting and bear watches for years! He just has a brand new boat for this year. He is a lifelong resident of Hoonah and will take you to the best spots whether it be on land or sea!

I stand corrected. In all my emails with Keith, he seemed to indicate that he normally does bear watching, but because he got a new boat, he was going to do some whale watching tours this year.

Have you been to The Crab Station? It just opened in June 2008.

In Hoonah you can walk into the village and book tours with locals who refuse to pay the cruise line a premium to go inside their gates. We went into The Galley, a cafe, and spent $95.00 each on a wonderful 50 minute flightseeing trip

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. We went on a whale watch tour with F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait. Small family run business. - Floyd and his wife, Marjorie. We were early in the season for wildlife such as bears, but we did see quite a few whales. A whale did a full breach out of the water right to the side of us ... very spectacular. We saw a cruise ship excursion boat with a crowd of people. Needless to say we were very pleased with our choice. Highly recommend F.I.S.H.E.S :)

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. We went on a whale watch tour with F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait. Small family run business. - Floyd and his wife, Marjorie. We were early in the season for wildlife such as bears, but we did see quite a few whales. A whale did a full breach out of the water right to the side of us ... very spectacular. We saw a cruise ship excursion boat with a crowd of people. Needless to say we were very pleased with our choice. Highly recommend F.I.S.H.E.S :)

So glad to hear you had a great experiences with F.I.S.H.E.S! We are on the Seranade in July and have also booked Floyd and Marjorie. I've been to Alaska before but have not gone whale watching - so this is probably the one excurison I am looking forward to the most.

Good to know that there is already lots of whale activity!!

Archived