Snorkeling on CocoCay

I have my own snorkeling equipment, but just recently learned to snorkel while on vacation in French Polynesia. Also, I'm not a really great swimmer, either. Is it safe for a relative beginner to snorkel there on his own, or should I sign up for one of the group tours?

PLUS, they make you rent an inflatable vest before you can go snorkleing. doesn't change your bouyancy, but if you get in trouble, you can inflate it.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

There are at least 3 life guard stations. It's a great place to snorkel for someone who's not a strong swimmer.

I am a good swimmer & was grateful for the vest. You should probably avoid the "deep reef"; that has no lifeguard & strong currents. What they were thinking when the designed that I don't know.

Trish

How do you get to this area? Is there a spot that someone who isn't snorkeling can relax in the shade? Can you order drinks here?

Okay I have a lot of questions is there a site I can look up stuff for Coco Cay?

Thanks!!!

Judy
RCCL Voyager 5/21-5/30/04
CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04
NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03
DCL Wonder 5/16-5/19/02
DCL Wonder 5/3-5/8/01
CCL Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmason:
PLUS, they make you rent an inflatable vest before you can go snorkleing. doesn't change your bouyancy, but if you get in trouble, you can inflate it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it will change your bouyancy because you can adjust the amount of bouyancy you have by either adding or removing air via the mouth valve.

There is an auto-inflate mechanism that can be used for emergencies only.

My advice ( I have done the snorkeling on Coco Cay) is to attend one of the snorkeling safety briefings they give. They will tell you exactly where to snorkel, where the fish are, where the stingrays are, where the sunken plane and ship is, and what to do in the event of an emergency.

With this knowledge, you should be able to enjoy the snorkeling without any fears.

Hope this helps!

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas
Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas
Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada
Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas
Sovereign of the Seas - 4/04 Bahamas Daughter's Birthday Cruise

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by judyf:
How do you get to this area? Is there a spot that someone who isn't snorkeling can relax in the shade? Can you order drinks here?

Okay I have a lot of questions is there a site I can look up stuff for Coco Cay?

Thanks!!!

Judy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is plenty of shade, hammocks, chairs, and I think the island has 6 or 7 bars on it. The waiters come from the ship and serve you just like they do when you are onboard. You use your sign and sail card for everything on the island except at the straw market. You will have to use cash if you purchase anything there.

They have all types of shore excursions and other sport activities at the island. There is a band that plays as well. You can get info from the RCI website on the shore excursions. It is a beautiful island and very difficult to describe except to say they should change the name from Coco Cay to Paradise!!

Plus, there are plenty of people on this board who will answer any question you may have.

Hope this helps!

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas
Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas
Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada
Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas
Sovereign of the Seas - 4/04 Bahamas Daughter's Birthday Cruise

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

You should have no problem snorkeling on your own. As everyone states, there are many many people out there. Plus the water is not that deep in much of the area and i found i could stand in many places. Hope you like it.

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04
Inspiration 5/03

My first snorkel experience was on CocoCay. It was amazing. I can't wait for our next vacation b/c that will be on the agenda every day! You rent the equipment there. They have a great area where the water is 20 feet deep - gorgeous!

Have fun!

aimee

Barefoot - once you've learned how to snorkle, it's like riding a bike. You can always practice with your equiptment - swiming pool, kitchen sink..

I would recommend buying a snorkle vest. Many people think it's not a necessity but I as one who used to be a life guard and an avid swimmer do. Since you already have the snorkle equiptment, why not add one if you don't already. I've found them on ebay around $28. I've had one for about 6 or 7 years but recently picked up another for my daughter. It will help make you feel a bit more secure.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005
Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

Archived