Upgrade/upsell question

rnnyce

We are booked on the 10/31 sailing of the Eurodam. We have over 100 days with HAL. We booked into a SY with a very large, online company. Any idea if we will be offered an upgrade/upsell? Should I contact my TA and let them know? Thoughts. We really would love a SC at the back of the ship!

We are booked on the 10/31 sailing of the Eurodam. We have over 100 days with HAL. We booked into a SY with a very large, online company. Any idea if we will be offered an upgrade/upsell? Should I contact my TA and let them know? Thoughts. We really would love a SC at the back of the ship!

Offers of upsells and auto-upgrades will depend on how well your sailing is selling and on how badly HAL needs your specific category or cabin.

Unless you tell your T/A you do not want to be considered for a free upgrade, you are as eligible as anyone else for an upgrade. No one really knows how the upgrade works ... not necessarily based on number of days on HAL, perhaps fare paid comes into play. Then again, it may be totally random.

Upsell offers generally are faxed to T/A's who then contact their clients with the offer of category XXX for $YYY per person. We were offered an upsell, 4 days before sailing, to go from B verandah to full Suite for $799/person. Took a pass, as it didn't seem especially attractive to us.

You may have an opportunity to select a particular cabin with an upsell, but I do not think that is possible with a free upgrade. If you truly want one of those aft SC suites, suggest you contact your T/A and have him price it out for you.

I'd say it's just pure luck.

We got an upgrade to SY from a VF, and then offered an upsell from the SY to SC, which we turned down. And this was when we hadn't ever sailed before.

So, just keep your fingers and toes crossed for the upgrade you wish for.

We book two cabin at once, same category, one for us and one for my brother and his wife; they got offered an upsell, we didn't. We were HAL past pax, they weren't. Go figure.

Actually this happens a lot - first timers getting upgraded or offered upsells.

I suspect it is done to aclimatize first-timers to a higher category cabin to 'hook' them into not only cruising again but with that company and in that same category!

We were upgraded from a mini-suite to a full suite on our first cruise 30 yrs ago..and guess what - we have usually always cruised in suites since.. :)

Cruises are like potato chips - u never can take just 1.. :)

Archived