Just back from Baltics on Spirit!

Hi Sharon

Glad to know you had a fab time, we're on board on the 9th Oct, so can you give us any info on the ship, i.e. food, service, cabins, entertainment, cleanliness, etc. everything really as we all like to hear about others experiences.

Not been on spirit before and we seem to be getting mixed reviews about her

thanks

Wavehopper

we have just got back from 14 night Baltic Capitals cruise on Spirit-our first experience of cruising.

The staff, particularly in the lido and entertainment team were great.Cleanliness was excellent as was food and service so hope you have a terrific time!

Hi!

The ship

Yes, it's true. The ship does have a vibration! We decided to just accept it and ignore it. There is absolutely nothing that can be done about it so there's no use complaining. It can't be felt everywhere but is particularly bad in the Broadway (in the centre of the room) and we did laugh when we watched everyone 'bobbing' up and down. It won't affect your holiday at all if you don't let it!

The ship was clean and there were manned 'hand washes' at the entrance of every restaurant and each time you embarked.

We were on Deck 9 in a de-luxe cabin. Loads of space and two picture windows. This cabin is right next to Horizons bar, but there is absolutely no disturbance. We did take a look in the other cabin types and all looked perfectly good.

Entertainment

The shows were very good indeed. You do need to be there at least half an hour before the start to get a decent seat (or a seat at all in some cases!).

There is other entertainment in various bars. We particularly enjoyed the Horizons bar and the trio in there.

High Spirits is the place for quizzes and game shows similar to those on TV. There is also dancing and a disco in there. If it's the same trio in there 'Sharp Notes', they are 'pleasant' but not as good as the trio in Horizons.

As we were on for 14 days there were three days at sea. On these days there was a play in the afternoon. These were all super.

Drinks prices

A pint of Stella was £3.40

Cocktails were 3.40 although he Cocktail of the Day was only £2.95.

There were special offers on most evenings, as outlined in your daily 'Cruise News'.

Food

The food was of a good standard. We ate mainly in the Compass Rose. You are shown to a table which is different each night. This way you meet different people. It does get a bit tedious after several nights of having the same 'Have you cruised before/ Are you enjoying yourself...?' conversations. You can request a table for two and keep to it each evening if you wish, although this isn't made common knowledge!

The Lido - This is self service and is open 24 hours. The food in here is good too, and you can eat it outside if you wish.

You certainly don't need to be hungry. There are no tea and coffee facilities in the cabins but these are available in The Lido. Speciality coffees can be purchased in all bars for £2.95.

Elegant High Tea is served in the Explorers Lounge in the afternoon. This is lovely. Afternoon tea is also served in the Lido. You may have to queue but it's worth it. Cakes, sandwiches, etc.

Captains Cocktails

Some passengers have said that this was a bit of an anti-climax. You are given a specific time for sitting at this one. Here's our itinerary:

5.30 Cocktails in the Broadway - We queued outside for about 20 mins, had a photo with the Captain and then were shown to a table in the lounge. We were given a Bucks Fizz and a canape.

Everyone was dressed up in a way they felt comfortable. A mixture of dinner suits, suits, long dresses, cocktail dresses, cocktail trousers, etc.

The captain and his staff were then introduced on the stage. The captain made a short speech and then we all went into dinner.

Wine could be ordered in advance, during the day, on the Broadway Lounge deck, although you could order this on the night. We only found the pre-order by stumbling on it as it wasn't advertised.

We ate our meal, and then that was that! Back to the routine of quickly getting to the Broadway for the show. Lots of people changed out of the formal wear immediately after the meal. It was pleasant, but no different to any other meal, except we were all dressed up!

There was another formal night but this one was simply a case of going to dinner in a posh frock. No speeches or anything. Again, pleasant to dress up, but nothing more.

Excursions

We went on the ship's excursions in all ports except one. We like a guide as they tell you, not only about the places you are visiting, but about everyday life too. Yes, we accept that these are not cheap, but we don't see the point in wandering aimlessly around places that we want to see. Be aware that there isn't a lot of shopping time on each trip. This was fine for us but some passengers wanted souvenirs and found this difficult. Make sure you read the itinerary of each trip very carefully. The complaints that we heard were from people who hadn't done this and weren't happy with what the excursion had involved!

Photos

Photos are constantly being taken. These cost £13.95. There is also a CD which is taken constantly. This can be watched in your cabin on TV and can be purchased.

Clothes

During the day everyone was, in the main, casual. Ladies wore three quarter trousers, jeans, trousers, skirts and the men wore the same (but not the skirts!). In the evening, people made an effort to dress a little more special if eating in the Compass Rose, but others felt more comfortable in casual wear, which can be worn in The Lido.

The whole experience was not what I'd call 'posh', but was certainly lovely. We have cruised before and we will again. We had a fantastic time. The ship is comfortable, clean and non-pretentious. The staff are absolutely lovely and you are well looked after. You'll love it!

Any more questions... feel free!

Sharon

Hi!

The whole experience was not what I'd call 'posh', but was certainly lovely. We have cruised before and we will again. We had a fantastic time. The ship is comfortable, clean and non-pretentious. The staff are absolutely lovely and you are well looked after. You'll love it!

Sharon

Thanks for your very fair and balanced review - so pleased you enjoyed the trip :) I think you've summed it up very well in the quote above. We feel at home with the warmth and service on board Thomson ships and like to dress up but do not want pretentiousness. I'm much happier getting dressed up to whatever extent I feel is appropriate and am comfortable with, whilst still feeling relaxed in what I consider, nevertheless, to be a civilised environment in the main dining room.

Kruzeeka,

Thanks for your thanks!

Also, thanks so much for your advice before we went. We printed it off and it came in more than useful, believe me!

Sharon

PS Can you remind me how to edit what I have written please! I havw put that the beer was £3.40 and it was £3.70!

I thought I knew how to do it but the 'delete' button is eluding me this morning!

Cheers!

Sharon x

Correction - I've just found how to edit on this message, before it is posted, but I want to alter the one that I have already posted! Help!

Hi Sharon

Thanks for that report we enjoyed reading it very much, we've cruised with most of the "big hitters" and you know we still feel that Thomson offer the best VFM and that they have just about got it right with the mix of formal\casual dress etc.

Can,t wait for ours in Oct only 5wks,3 days to go.

Wavehopper

Hello again Sharon,

Glad the info was of use - I always try to research where we're going beforehand and have received some really good tips from other cruisers - it's great that we can help each other out in that way. Whatever did we do before the forums? Spent an awful lot of money in Borders etc. buying travel guides which still didn't answer those very specific (and sometimes we fear, rather trivial) questions! But there's always someone on here who is able to help - and doesn't make you feel foolish for asking!! :)

Anyway, I've had the same problem as you re: 'deleting' and I think the answer is that your post remains 'live' for about 15/20 minutes after you've submitted it during which time you can get back into it to edit it if you wish. After this period has elapsed I don't think you can do anything more with the post. Is that what others have found?

Hi Mazeppashaz

Thank you for your post, it will help me in my cruise, I am leaving in a few days time. Can not wait. My First cruise.

We leaving on the 4th from Harwich, on a 14 night cruise.

I think I have packed everything including the fridge, not to sure what to take, so decided to take Everything, just in case. :D

wanted to take my Bicycle with so I can use it on the ports instead of doing the ships excursions. Just wonder if they will alow it on bored the ship :rolleyes:, so might just leave it at home.:( o well.

Roll on friday !!!

Archived