Tauck part 2

newlondon

Further comment on the Swiss Sapphire. Tauck does not own this or any of the boats they use. They are built and leased by Scylla Tours which I believe is a Swiss owned company. The design of these boats is well thought out as they are clearly meant for the high end market. Some examples: Capacity is only 118 v 140 or more for most other boats we saw; there are two dining facilities, the main dining room and the Lido which serves lighter fare; most important the ship has two sun decks. This is a big plus during the 5 days on this itinerary when the upper sun deck is closed due to low bridges. We were still able to watch the scenery from outside while many boats we passed had their passengers inside because they only had the main sun deck.

The furnishings on the Sapphire were also on the premium side. The whole ship was carpeted, not true for many of the boats we saw. The dining room was well laid out so buffet tables did not interfere with those already dining. The tables always had white table cloths, a nice touch.

The main lounge was very comfortable and the bar had a separate section to differentiate it.

The crew was supplied by Scylla and they did an outstanding job. One frequently hears the term "no is not an answer" and that was certainly the case here. There were approximately 29 crew members and the attitude of all was "what can we do to make your experience better". I would definitely put the service level with that of RSSC and Silversea.

Tauck supplied a cruise director and 2 tour directors. They also were outstanding. We particularly liked the fact that all tours were accompanied by Tauck personnel. The guides were arranged by Tauck and used the sound boxes which seems to be pretty standard these days. Most of the guides were excellent, some even better, but one or two could have been improved.

The Tauck experience was better than anything we have been exposed to before. Some examples: all tours we have taken before required you to pay yourself for a WC if there was a charge-a real inconvenience if you don't have any change-Tauck always had paid in advance; Tauck surprises, these were extras like wine tastings in Wurzburg to buying gingerbread cookies for all in Nurnburg-just examples-there were more.

The evening in Vienna was amazing. Tauck rented the Palais Pallavacini-right behind the imperial palace. We were given a gourmet dinner in a gilded and mirrored ballroom with a seven piece orchestra, two opera singers and two dancers performing Viennese music all night. Wow!

I could go on, but these experiences are why the fare is definitely a premium one.

The food was excellent. Breakfast was a buffet including anything you could want. A light breakfast was served starting at 6a in the Lido.

Lunch was also a buffet and imo too much. I would have been happy with cheeseburgers and cold cuts but that was not too be.

Dinner was usually four choices including 2 meats a fish and a vegetarian dish. DW always had the fish and declared it to be terrific, I always had one of the meats and they were delicious. Beer was free at lunch and beer and wine at dinner.

Lunch in the Lido included a stir fry and salads. Dinner was an Italian menu.

The passengers were an eclectic mix from the US, Australia, NZ, SA, the UK and Panama. Interestingly, for many this was their first Tauck tour. We were not the youngest but the average age was definitely well into the 70's. Most had done extensive travelling and were very interesting to talk with.

To sum up, everything about this trip met or exceeded our somewhat high expectations. We wish there were other river itineraries we would like to take so we could do it again. When you take into consideration all that is included, plus the extras, we think we received excellent value. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Thank you very much for posting your review. I had a question about the internet service aboard the ship. I heard that it was free. Was this true? Did you bring your own laptop or use the computers on the ship? How many computers were there? My husband has to stay in touch with the office. After reading your review, I am really looking forward to our Tauck river cruise next year. We have taken 12 small ship cruises and land tours with Tauck and I am looking foward to finding out what specials they have in mind for us on the Rhine.

sheila

Just received the Tauck brochure on small ships yesterday and was looking at the Prague to Budapest. Do you recommend another? We took a Tauck Cruise a year ago in the Western Mediterranean on Holland American and it was fantastic. It states in the brochure that all tour director tips are now included. Is that correct? It also states a daily cocktail hour and wine with dinner. We really love the idea of the all-inclusive and Tauck does deliver.

Judy

JudyLS, All tips are definitely included, although the service was so good that we made a donation to the crew fund as well as the cruise director and one of the tour directors. If you go Tauck you are at imo at the top and the people deserve to be rewarded.

Sorry missed your second question. I don't understand people who take long cruises in the spring-rain, or the fall-cold. We arrived in Amsterdam on 8/12. We had 2 hrs. of rain that aft.- who cares we were wiped out anyway. The rest of the 2+ weeks we got 15 min. of rain. In addition every day had sunshine most of the time, eg. fog burning off etc. I think it is driest in late summer, this agrees with other trips and would choose that time. Must be honest, however we did have some very hot days--100+.

To JudyLS,

We have been on over 12 Tauck Tours -- some on small ships. Everything but the airfare is included. They even pick you up at the airport for free. We just booked a Rhine/Moselle River cruise with them for July 2010. We compared several companies and when you compare everything, Tauck being all inclusive, is not overpriced. One of the Rhine cruises on another popular river cruise line had you leaving after seven days and staying at two hotels in Switzerland. When I called to find out which hotels, they said they didn't have that info as yet. Who wants to go to two hotels for two days each. I want to stay on the ship for the full time. By the way, if you have traveled with Tauck before, there is a discount for 2010 river cruises. Ask you TA or all Tauck.

Sheila

To JudyLS,

We have been on over 12 Tauck Tours -- some on small ships. Everything but the airfare is included. They even pick you up at the airport for free. We just booked a Rhine/Moselle River cruise with them for July 2010. We compared several companies and when you compare everything, Tauck being all inclusive, is not overpriced. One of the Rhine cruises on another popular river cruise line had you leaving after seven days and staying at two hotels in Switzerland. When I called to find out which hotels, they said they didn't have that info as yet. Who wants to go to two hotels for two days each. I want to stay on the ship for the full time. By the way, if you have traveled with Tauck before, there is a discount for 2010 river cruises. Ask you TA or all Tauck.

Sheila

Thanks so much for the discount info. Didn't know that.:rolleyes: I totally agree with you about Tauck. I was a travel agent for 12 years and after taking a Tauck Tour several years ago to the Canadian Rockies I swore I would never travel again as a "civilian" unless it was Tauck. My husband and I have pretty much decided on the Rhine/Moselle for next summer also. What date are you going? I've never been on a river cruise. Are they as good as an ocean cruise? What do you wear...pack for it?

Thanks so much. I'm goiing to call Tauck right now.

Judy

Hi JudyLS,

My cousin JudyS just returned from a Tauck River Cruise (their first experience with Tauck). Her comments are posted on this River & Canal Cruise Board. Just scroll down. She and her DH just loved their cruise -- they did the Danube -- Amsterdam to Budapest. We are booked for the July 13th Rhine/Moselle from Basel to Amsterdam. My husband just booked our airfare on AA. If you want the routing, I'll look it up. I see you are practically neighbors -- we live in the San Fernando Valley.

Sheila

There are no tables set for two. All the pre-mains have two choices although the amuse-bouche is by itself. We never had a problem finding something we liked for each course:).

Well I had not a clue what that meant so I looked it up. Means "little Bites" as in appetizers:confused:

Newlondon, I liked your review very much! we have did Tauck land tours before and they do a great job on those so it follows the river cruises would be the same. can you give a link or date of part 1? We are considering the Strausborg(sp?)- Prague in August, 2010, and i'm down to AMA and Tauck on the choice of cruise operators. Thanks!

Hi old grump,

Since you have been on a Tauck tour before, be sure to ask your TA or Tauck to give you the Tauck Past Guest Appreciation Reward of $350 per person. It was in the letter that came yesterday with Tauck's Small Ship Cruising brochure. If you have any friends or family joining you next August, they will get $250 per person.

Sheila

Tauck is a first-rate, class act. We have taken land tours with them and are set to take a land tour next year with them to New Zealand. We, too, received past guest discounts. Looking forward to planning a river cruise with Tauck. We river cruised with Deilmann and had an outstanding experience. Last year we tried AMA Danube Discovery. AMA was disappointing in several aspects and we won't cruise with them again unless things turn around dramatically.

Wishing you a fantastic time, Old Grump.

Hi JudyLS,

My cousin JudyS just returned from a Tauck River Cruise (their first experience with Tauck). Her comments are posted on this River & Canal Cruise Board. Just scroll down. She and her DH just loved their cruise -- they did the Danube -- Amsterdam to Budapest. We are booked for the July 13th Rhine/Moselle from Basel to Amsterdam. My husband just booked our airfare on AA. If you want the routing, I'll look it up. I see you are practically neighbors -- we live in the San Fernando Valley.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

We've been so busy the last few days. Part of that was booking our trip with Tauck on a river cruise next July 25th from Amsterdam to Budapest. It is a 15 day cruise and sounds fantastic. Thank you again for advising me about the $350. We are in the brand new ship the Swiss Jewel on the Ruby Deck.

Judy

Archived