Transportationa advice from Pisa Airport to Livorno hotel

AmoMondo

I'll be arriving early afternoon in Pisa Airport on 23 Oct and am going to be spending the night in the Max Hotel in Livorno before joining my cruise the following day.I'll be travelling on my own and have 2 cases plus a carry on (3 week cruise plus added stay in S Africa - that and I'm incapabale of travelling light!.

)

So far I've managed to establish that its about 25km and my options for getting there are taxi, train or bus. I'm trying to decide which would be best for me. Can anyone provide me with answers to the following

1. I've seen a thread here where it mentioned the taxi fare was well in excess of 100 euros - is this true for 25km or have I got the distance wrong?

2. Anyone used the train - how long does it take andwere there plenty of taxis outside the train station in Livorno

3. Where does the bus drop off in Livorno and are there cabs close by. (I'm not precisely sure where my hotel is other than central but unless it is less than 100 yards from the cus stop, I'm not going to manage to walk to it with all my luggage)

I'd be interested in hearing any advice or personal experiences people have had making this trip.

Thanks

I'll answer what I can but I'd suggest that your first move should be to reach out to your hotel in Livorno and ask their advice. They have guests arriving from the airport fairly regularly, I'm sure, and probably have the best information.

All trains from Pisa Airport to Livorno Central require a change at Pisa Centrale. Depending on how long you wait at Pisa, the total travel time is between 30 minutes to an hour.

There is a taxi stand at the station, but there may or may not be cabs there. Perhaps your hotel can arrange to meet you at the station, or you can call a cab (phone numbers are posted at the station) if one isn't right there when you arrive.

I'll be arriving early afternoon in Pisa Airport on 23 Oct and am going to be spending the night in the Max Hotel in Livorno before joining my cruise the following day.I'll be travelling on my own and have 2 cases plus a carry on (3 week cruise plus added stay in S Africa - that and I'm incapabale of travelling light!.

)

So far I've managed to establish that its about 25km and my options for getting there are taxi, train or bus. I'm trying to decide which would be best for me. Can anyone provide me with answers to the following

1. I've seen a thread here where it mentioned the taxi fare was well in excess of 100 euros - is this true for 25km or have I got the distance wrong?

2. Anyone used the train - how long does it take andwere there plenty of taxis outside the train station in Livorno

3. Where does the bus drop off in Livorno and are there cabs close by. (I'm not precisely sure where my hotel is other than central but unless it is less than 100 yards from the cus stop, I'm not going to manage to walk to it with all my luggage)

I'd be interested in hearing any advice or personal experiences people have had making this trip.

Thanks

Having lived in the area for three years I can give you some insight:

(1) Forget the bus - you don't even want to go there.

(3) Taxi could easily cost you €75-€100.

(4) Take the train to Pisa Centrale. Depending upon the time of day that you arrive, you might get a direct to Livorno (no change at Pisa Centrale - there are only a couple).

(5) Taxis at the Livorno station will depend upon when you arrive (daytime probably no problem; otherwise might be a slight problem.)

(6) The fellow at the newstand can be of assistance in finding you a taxi if you are nice. (might have to feed his meter - ie - tip.)

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll contact the hotel to see if they do any transfer service or have any other suggestions, otherwise sounds like the train it is. Used trains quite a bit before in Italy and speak abit of Italian - so the only problem will be lugging those cases up the steps!

Thanks again - much appreciated

Actually steps aren't quite as bad as in the past. They have raised most platforms to be almost equal to the first step on the car in Pisa and Livorno.

Now that is good news. When we got the train from Genoa to Milan, I think there were 5. I know it tokk acombined team effort to get our bags on and off with one of us staioned on the platform and one at the top of the stairs. I certainly wasn't relishing that on my own with 2 suitcases!

Archived